JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday I was testing a rifle/ammo/mag combo - in the past the rifle had a bit of a problem with certain ball ammo, over-gassing I suspect, it would tear off part of the rim with GI ball brass cased ammo.

So I was testing it with steel cased Wolf ammo. I ran about 100 rounds thru 3 mags (good thing too - had one mag with an overriding jam - not sure if it was the mag or not - I am going to test that mag again).

Anyway, the rifle has a folding steel buttstock with no recoil pad. I didn't notice the recoil much, I was shooting 5.56 and the rifle is heavy. But later I was getting ready for bed and I took my shirt off (very light shirt) and noticed a bruise on my shoulder the shape and markings that left no doubt it was from shooting that rifle. It doesn't hurt, but I have a number of other rifles with steel stocks and/or buttplates. I also have some with quite heavy recoil - like the Shockwaves and a .45-70. Most of these are not amenable to installing a recoil pad on the long gun itself - on the Shockwave it is downright illegal.

Recommendations for recoil pads I can wear?

PAST? Caldwell? ???

Many hunting vests available for shotgun hunting that are padded in those areas. Also skeet shooting vests that aren't camo or orange.

This is one option.

8B5AEF97-3CE8-4832-A591-A4B2C0C665DA.png

It is funny, only rifle I have ever received a bruise from is an M16 and AR15. Something with the recoil impulse I think.

You haven't lived until you've "snap shot" 3 rapid 3" magnum rounds from a 12ga Mossberg-500 at ducks while accidentally using your bicep in place of your shoulder pocket because your waders snagged the buttstock.... :s0108:

I've been using a PAST recoil shield for several years when shooting 30.06 military bolt action rifles and it works great. I shoot over 80 rounds in a couple hours with no problems.

Only guns to bruise me are
1) M44 Mosin Nagant with 240 or so grain ammo. I was young, fit, and a little burr on the steel actually cut me good on the first shot. Was wearing a wife beater in the desert. Bad combination.
2) 50 Beowulf and CZ 12 gauge hammer coach gun. Not sure which of the 2 did it that day. I also was shooting a 45-70 that day. Diffusely bruised shoulder. Not my smartest decision.
3) Magnum slug out of a shockwave bruised my wrist. That was a really bad move on my part.

I've shot my Shockwave several times with 3" magnum buckshot and no bruises, but even though the 556 rifle I shot yesterday weighed 9#+ loaded, the ribs in the steel butt on the stock, match the bruise on my shoulder. :s0092:

000956.jpg

That's weird. of all the guns to do it, a little .223 seems a strange one. Not doubting anything, just seems a weird one as the impulse is light.

Also, my wrists do not have much range of motion. No damage or anything, just don't move much, which I don't think let them take the recoil well from heavy shockwave loads. When I have watched other people shoot the heavier loads, they move more than mine are capable of. That and it was a very early round I fired from the shockwave. My accuracy and technique have improved substantially.

However, as someone with a nerve disease that seems degenerative, (yeah for medicine only giving me a vague idea of what is wrong) I find value in threads like this,for I will probably have to deal with nerve compression issues.

Well, my should is a bit sore today, but with all my injuries it is often hard for me to know why something is sore. That shoulder is also screwed up, but in the posterior, not the anterior - because I did an endo off a bicycle and landed on it.

My shoulders are a wreckl, but shooting 5.56 in an AR doesn't bother me.

I find my PCC 9mm produces about the same recoil as an AR, that's to say, little...

This wasn't an AR though, it was a gas piston rifle known for more recoil, even with the 556.

I didn't notice it much while shooting as I am used to it, but I am pretty sure it (the bruise) was the cumulative result of the metal buttstock and the 100 rounds.

Back in the early '70s, real men didn't get bruises from shooting (must be so because I never heard anyone say jack about it). After one long day shooting muzzle stuffers with metal butt plates, I was close to being the world's first (embarrassed) exception; my skinny shoulder definitely developed a purple-colored soft spot.

Yeah, I bit back the whining that time, but before my next trip to the range, I made a twine harness to strategically position a sanitary pad beneath my shirt. That worked OK, thankfully; no more bruising or tell-tale wincing with each shot. Now, at age 77, I'm willing to divulge that secret I've kept for all these years.

I trust you folks won't tell on me, OK?

I have been bruised up a bunch over the years, usually in warm weather wearing just a t-shirt. .338 win mag, .300 win mag, my old ought-6 would beat me up pretty good. impromptu skeet shooting. been scope bit a few times, just part of the joy of shooting.

I have a pad similar to/same as the one in the Amazon screenshot above. Bought it after firing my Marlin 45-70 Cowboy for the first time (no recoil pad, just a plastic butt plate). Although I haven't used it a lot, it seems to help with the issues you noted and isn't too cumbersome to slip on when needed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top