JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's not tiresome if you also carry concealed outside often. After a few days you don't even notice it unless you wear it on the side. You'll bump it into things you unconsciously walk very close to. That goes away after a while too. This is assuming that you've found a comfortable holster and carry position.

Not a big deal though. Statistically you'll probably never need it. In my case it makes sense. Some people are going to be above the mean and some below it. I have been a data point on the unsafe side of the curve more than once.
Agree with comfort issue. To me, comfort is just one of the trade offs that will vary from person to person based on their preferences. Fe a person may take any of the following routes re comfort:

1) Forget comfort, live with discomfort for sake of enough firepower (the Clint smith approach)

2) use a gun that is comfortable enough that you will have it all the time even if it's not the best in terms of firepower

3) golden middle, enough comfort that u can carry it almost all the time (or all the time), enough firepower to be effective

To me all those r valid depending on what ur preferences are. For me if u don't have a gun with you (or immediately available and ready to shoot when u need it) then pretty much any other discussion re type of gun etc is totally irrelevant.

For me a NAA 22 mag revolver is underpowered but at 6.7 ounces u will complete forget it's on ur belt or in ur pocket. Better than a knife but lacking in power. So that's a bare min for me if for some reason I couldn't carry anything bigger.

At home I carry a sig p938 9mm either in front pocket in alabama holster or sometimes in iwb holster. It so tiny (same size as lcp .380) I completely forget it's there because it is the only thing in that pocket. Weight is not light however (15 oz I think?) Outside edc can vary based on where I'm going. For me any gun u can shoot well (meaning draw smoothly, shoot accurately under intense stress) and that u will have with u is a valid choice. Totally up to the individual cuz preferences and risk tolerance all vary. That's just how I think about it, someone else may feel different which is all good. As long as we have more armed good guys out there it's a good thing!

If you have to carry in your own home, you might want to think about moving. I suppose if I lived anywhere serviced by PPD, yeah I'd be packing in my own home.

Thankfully I live in a nice area, it's rural, so cameras and motion sensors are still a must. Even if I was asleep, I would be alerted and watching you with shotty within reach before you were anywhere near my home.
Suggestions on type of camera and motion sensor system(s)? Damascus is fairly rural, but not quite enough...

Used to be, I'd be carrying wherever I went. Except to the office where it's forbidden under pain of immediate termination. Then 20 months ago, courtesy of our Chinese friends, my employer told us all to go work from home. First it was only going to be for 30 days, then it became 90, then until New Years. Now they're trying to sublease a big chunk of our space and telling us we won't be going back to the office at all. Which is actually fine with me. I've gotten used to working around the distractions at home (4-legged ones mostly), and the commute is way shorter. Not to mention the office downtown is on the edge of the Portland War Zone and surrounded by homeless encampments. Cars have been broken into and ransacked, office windows smashed or in once case shot, and of course PPB can't do anything about it. So ever since then, it's like others have said: If I'm wearing pants, I'm wearing a gun. Better to have it and not need it than vice versa. I live in a pretty "safe", low crime area, but a couple years ago there was a fatal self-defense shooting just up at the end of the block. Some kind of mental case. You never know.

Last Edited:
Well, not really out of the blue... One could wear a gun in the safety of one's own home, so that one is prepared for that random attack when a Siberian tiger breaks in... so it still fits, with a bit of twisting and stretching... :confused:

And yes, @solv3nt, that last line is a set-up, just for you...
Don't forget about Landsharks...

Suggestions on type of camera and motion sensor system(s)? Damascus is fairly rural, but not quite enough...
I can recommend ring cams (specifically spotlight cam, I wouldn't bother with doorbell or stick up cam personally as they r more limited especially in range), but have not used other brands so there may be others as good or better I don't know.

Benefits:
- Can use wired or battery or batt+solar (ours are battery last about 2 months u remove and charge just like ur phone)
- sends alert to ur phone and u can watch video in real time or talk on intercom or hit siren
- very adjustable for type of motion u can set zones, exclude animals, sensitivity etc
- can set times to not detect, put in temporary sleep mode, have light turn on or not, how long to record video, can turn on live view anytime, can take snapshots all day long if desired, can set how frequently it detects motion to save battery power if desired, can set so all cams record video if one detects motion
- u can take with u if u move or easily reposition if using battery model. We had at our rental 4 hour drive away when we're selling it and worked out great we just moved a couple there temporarily then moved them back home
- can see in the dark with no light or u can have light turn on with motion
- resolution is good, can make out detail pretty well, much better than trail cam type of resolution
- responds to motion and noise both
- no subscription required

Cons:
- requires WiFi, such as home WiFi network
- if u have integrated smart phone stuff such as Amazon smart controls, it may or may not work with that u would have to check
- cost $129 for refurb or $150 for regular on sale for spotlight cam $199 reg price
- for any brand cam u need to install high enough so ppl don't steal it
- can be a delay (maybe 5-10 seconds) between sensing motion and alert on ur phone if u have tons of customizations enabled. If u have rapid ring app in addition to regular ring app that can speed up alert if tons of customization stuff enabled. I would guess the delay on ours is 2-3 seconds before it alerts phone for how we have it set
- for any brand cam it's best to position so people are walking sideways to cam not moving directly towards it, makes them more sensitive to motion

It's not any one reason. It's a choice. How that choice is made will vary widely from person to person. One of the things I was trying to say earlier is that statistics apply to groups, not individuals. I've been beating the odds (good and bad) all my life, so I'm careful how I use statistics. While I know that odds are I'll never be assaulted in my life, I have been, several times. Also a couple of attempted muggings, attempted illegal entries into my home, etc. Not all of these were in low-odds areas, but I'll grant that some were. I'm not a number, and I don't carry out of a "feeling". None of the above is intended to be rude toward you, just to be clear.
I feel this exactly. There's a famous saying, "People Won't Behave, If They Have Nothing To Lose".

It's not any one reason. It's a choice. How that choice is made will vary widely from person to person. One of the things I was trying to say earlier is that statistics apply to groups, not individuals. I've been beating the odds (good and bad) all my life, so I'm careful how I use statistics. While I know that odds are I'll never be assaulted in my life, I have been, several times. Also a couple of attempted muggings, attempted illegal entries into my home, etc. Not all of these were in low-odds areas, but I'll grant that some were. I'm not a number, and I don't carry out of a "feeling". None of the above is intended to be rude toward you, just to be clear.
One other thing has occurred to me: I mentioned earlier that statistics apply best to groups, not individuals. Taking that a step further, as an individual, by carrying I'm influencing the group statistic. If more of the group carry, the odds of that bad "data point" drop for all of us. The line on the chart is that much lower. I'm not calling anyone "selfish" if they don't; I'm just saying do it for the children. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top