JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't click on it but living in Portland u better believe I'm armed in the house. Criminals are so brave now they will walk into ur garage if u go in the house for just a minute, try your doors in broad daylight, break in in broad daylight etc. They know there are no consequences if they get caught so they don't care and just keep getting bolder and bolder.

It seems to me there is not enough discussion about outside of the home such as criminals in ur yard looking to break in, crims stealing your catalytic converter in ur driveway, etc.

If someone breaks into ur home that is more cut and dry as to what ur options are but someone on ur property (not inside ur house) committing a crime needs more discussion I think.

Last Edited:
If you have to carry in your own home, you might want to think about moving. I suppose if I lived anywhere serviced by PPD, yeah I'd be packing in my own home.

Thankfully I live in a nice area, it's rural, so cameras and motion sensors are still a must. Even if I was asleep, I would be alerted and watching you with shotty within reach before you were anywhere near my home.

Does this have anything to do with me getting an old girlfriend to wear a .45 Colt SAA and a western holster around my bedroom? Believe fellas if I had pics, I'd share!

Good read @Lennie
It seems to me there is not enough discussion about outside of the home such as criminals in ur yard looking to break in, crims stealing your catalytic converter in ur driveway, etc.
You are right on about this. Get these questions in classes frequently. Many come down to talking about defending property with deadly force and not doing this, but there are other scenarios where something more nefarious may be afoot.
If you have to carry in your own home, you might want to think about moving. I suppose if I lived anywhere serviced by PPD, yeah I'd be packing in my own home.
I wish this was true but it's just not in the world we now live in. I live in a nice, rural area. From reports I've seen, not long ago near me during the night, the husband was killed and wife severely injured in an attack. When I worked as an LEO, some of our areas were extremely affluent. Residents would get burglarized (or now, more home invasions) and they would scream, "But I live in a nice area!" Yes, they lived in the criminal equivalent of Nordstrom. That's where the crooks go shopping, not a Dollar Tree.

I have LONG carried at home when watching TV and such. When kids were here I had a few around the home but they had to be secured. Now don't have to worry about that. Still will always have something in a pocket. Small enough to forget its there so not much in the way of a "gun". Always kind of figured if I needed it, that would give me a chance to get to a better one. Sure I will never need it but, nice to know its there if the dogs suddenly jump up and tell me "something is outside". :D

Thankfully I live in a nice area, it's rural, so cameras and motion sensors are still a must. Even if I was asleep, I would be alerted and watching you with shotty within reach before you were anywhere near my home.
Two recent self defense killings come to mind

1. Intruder tried to break into an occupied home
2. Dumb bubblegum tried to take a weapon from someone out target shooting.

Both local
Both rural

It seems to me the simplest thing to do is to put the holster on while you're getting dressed and leave it that way all day. Find a comfortable holster and work out your favorite carry position. If you've done it properly, you won't even notice the gun anymore.

I have trouble believing there is even any controversy about this.

Only someone in blind denial would equate preparedness with "paranoia" (whatever they mean by that). Myself, I do understand paranoia because I cared for a paranoid schizophrenic in my home for nearly 14 years. Yes, there were firearms in the house that whole time. No, it was never a problem because I maintained control of them at all times. And no, they were not kept unloaded and inaccessibly locked away at all times.

So, why do I want to be prepared? Well, I figured out years ago that all home invasions occur (wait for it now) at someone's home! TV reporting from the scene of horribly violent incidents consistently include laments like these from quivering neighbors: "So shocked this happened, we live in such a quiet neighborhood" or "This sort of thing just does not happen around here" or "This just could not have happened, our neighbors all look out for one another".

Yet, there they are, aghast that their bubble got burst by some violation of their illusionary "safe space".

My preparedness may not save me from harm, but I damn sure will never be cringing in the corner of a dark closet, begging for mercy.

Last Edited:
I have trouble believing there is even any controversy about this.

Only someone in blind denial would equate preparedness with "paranoia" (whatever they mean by that). Myself, I do understand paranoia because I cared for a paranoid schizophrenic in my home for nearly 14 years. Yes, there were firearms in the house that whole time. No, it was never a problem because I maintained control of them at all times. And no, they were not kept unloaded and inaccessibly locked away at all times.

So, why do I want to be prepared? Well, I figured out years ago that all home invasions occur (wait for it now) at someone's home! TV reporting from the scene of horribly violent incidents consistent include laments like these from quivering neighbors: "So shocked this happened, we live in such a quiet neighborhood" or "This sort of thing just does not happen around here" or "This just could not have happened, our neighbors all look out for one another".

Yet, there they are, aghast that their bubble got burst by some violation of their illusionary "safe space".

My preparedness may not save me from harm, but I damn sure will never be cringing in the corner of a dark closet, begging for mercy.
People who do not own a gun at all just do not believe it will happen to them. If they did they would of course have a gun. Many will go their entire life and never need one so they win. A few live to regret the choice they made to not have one when they need it. Little late then but, that's life. Many gun owners also fall into the "it will never happen to me" group. Most of them will also go their life and never need a gun, so it works out. Sadly a few who own a gun, will fall victim because the gun did them no good since they did not have it when they needed it. Again that's life. I long ago gave up trying to persuade the ones who do not wish to prepare. Its not going to happen to me and I can't help anyone who will not accept help. The way I look at it the bad people have to eat too. :s0092:

I'm strapped from the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning until they leave the floor at night. I live in a nice neighborhood where neighbors look out for each other, that doesn't stop crime and it doesn't stop vermin from targeting it.

I'd rather be prepared for the unthinkable than deal with the anguish of not being prepared. Cross my threshold uninvited and hell will be unleashed upon you. This is my home, my sanctuary, I will not permit that safe haven to be violated by the vermin of society.

And I don't give a flying flip if that attitude offends others, tough. Cry me a River.

And I don't give a flying flip if that attitude offends others, tough. Cry me a River.

How Dare You Greta GIF

Its your home....What you do in it , should be decided by you , not someone else.

If you think that it is best to carry while at home , then carry.
If you think that you don't have to carry while at home...then don't.
Andy

Last Edited:
There are numerous armed people on my property both day and night. Not only do my wife and I carry every waking hour, our employees are armed as well. I don't see anything "paranoid" in it as the decision to do so is based on a logical assessment of real world scenarios that can and have occasionally occurred. As I'm known to say a bit too frequently to suit some, "If you have a problem with anything I do, that just means that you have a problem and it's not my responsibility to fix your problems".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top