Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Weapons on aircraft

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by spengo, Apr 12, 2010.

1. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

I've been over this front and back trying to find something about this but maybe I am just blind.
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl

Can I mount weapons on an airplane? Obviously you would have to avoid the prohibited areas of public airports, but at a private airport with 0 commercial flights it's different. I was thinking a couple AR-10s with the new .308 beta c-mags mounted on an RV-4 would make a mean little fightin' machine (and sexy too!).

Why? Do I need a reason? THIS IS AMERICA. Besides, how do I know that zombies won't learn how to fly planes, eh? Or what if a hundred zombies are attacking my house and the best option is to do strafing runs from the air.

rv4upgraded.jpg

2. itgoesboom

itgoesboom Hillsboro Member

You would need a supplemental type certificate, and no way the FAA would grant it.

3. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Not a GAu-8 Avenger??

Don't you want the ultimate airborne ammo dump??

4. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

You might not need the STC since its an RV.... Gotta love the experimental.

5. aslinged

aslinged Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

In the event of a zombie attack such that you need to resort to strafing runs in an modified, heavily armed aircraft...yeah, I don't think the FAA is gonna be relevant.

6. spengo

Ohhh you know what might be really fun? Design my own mechanical interrupt system so I can fire through the propeller. I need to design a QD mounting system that holds zero as well so I can take the guns off if I want to fly into a normal airport or visit California.

7. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

:cartman: :rockstar: :cheer:

:sleep:

8. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go .308's, I'd have to go with Ma Deuces. Just like the Mustangs and Thunderbolts my grandfather learned to sling wrenches on during the Big One...

And once it's Game On, I'll bet Commemorative Air Force members owning no-crap real warbirds become heroes in their own communities.

9. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Yeah uh... A Piper Cub with guns on it is no match for an F15/16/whatever. No match for a man on the ground with a stinger for that matter.

10. spengo

M2s might be too big and heavy for such a little plane. Aren't they on the order of 80lbs each? This is not a P-51D you know... I mean, it could lift them, but it might adversely affect performance.

RV-4 is much more powerful and aerobatic than a piper cub. Also, the purpose is not to shoot down F-15s, the purpose is **** YEA I've got my own little fighter plane! I could own the crap out of a fokker dr-1 with this.

11. Diamondback

Mustangs packed 6, Thunderbolts 8. I'm guessing something smaller would be okay with 2 or 4... IIRC, some SBD Dauntlesses had their twin .30s replaced with .50's, and we're not even starting to talk about the thousands of relatively-flimsy swivel-mounts, both single and twin, aboard every US heavy-bomber and in the back seats of Dauntlesses and SB2C Helldivers.

12. spengo

Two maybe. Remember it's like carrying a whole extra person though. Also there is cost to factor in. New semi auto M2s are like $10k and transferable full autos are $30k iirc.

13. Diamondback

Aircraft version only weighs 64lbs, largely from ditching the water-jacket for forced-air cooling.

Even two Ma Deuces is still enough to really ruin somebody's day if you have 'em properly aligned and know how to "aim the plane"...

14. spengo

Do they still make aircraft versions or is it possible to modify it yourself?

15. Diamondback

They still make 'em for chopper-mounts.

16. spengo

Semi auto ones that you could actually buy without an SOT? How much are transferable aircraft M2s if they are still floatin' around? I can't seem to find any from a quick googling.

17. Diamondback

Um, no, these are real rock-'n'-roll. So unless you wanna buy an island somewhere... I didn't say anything about Civilian Legal, you will note, just that there is still an assembly-line producing them.

If you're really gung-ho, I'd suggest going with semi M1917s in .30-06, but those ain't gonna be cheap either. You still need some kind of disconnector so your remote-trigger won't fire it without a manual button-punch for each shot...

Do bear in mind, my business aside from historical information is "theoretical technical possibility", not "practical legality".

18. spengo

Lol, ok. I was thinking of using servo motors with cables attached going around the trigger to pull it back mounted where the pistol grip would normally go. It wouldn't be hard to set that up. No servos with cams in the trigger guard that could be modified to make it shoot full auto this way either. I should get a letter from the ATF or something though of course. Then use an electronic interrupt that would "pause" a shot waiting for a propeller blade to pass. Wire a couple buttons with a decent "clicky" tactile feedback to them into the stick and it's good to go. Could be almost like full auto fire by alternating the two buttons quickly.

If I'm going to go down to .30-06, why not just use .308 and AR-10s as I originally suggested? They aren't belt fed but beta just recently came out with 100rd c-mags and 2 AR-10s with those in would work fine I think.

19. Diamondback

IIRC, the .30-06 loads used in aircraft MG's were a little more powerful than today's .308. You'd need to fair over the mags to cut drag, and Beta-Cs would be a colossal PITA--personally, I'd suggest sticking to belt-fed platforms even if they are "neutered", just to save space and keep drag down. (Sorry, aerospace history with focus in combat aviation is another lifelong entanglement of mine--Grandpa was a retired USAF Master Sergeant and cramming weapons-system specs down my throat from the minute I was born.)

20. spengo

Oh, I forgot to say, I was thinking of moving the placement of the guns from under/in the wings to in the fuselage right in front of the cockpit. That is why I was talking about shooting through the propeller. Drag will not be an issue as the guns will be in the aircraft frame. More accurate that way too (or at least, easier to aim as the guns will be much closer to the optic).