Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Weapons of the future: ‘Smart guns’ would fire only for owner

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by John H, Jan 29, 2015.

1. John H

John H Whatcom County Well-Known Member

Caveman Jim and Ben Beckerich like this.
  2. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

I will not trade my guns but I dont mind to own couple of smart guns. If it really works than I love to have couple shot guns loaded laying around my house. 1 each at each entrant. Couple rifles hang on the wall loaded. And every drawers inside my house have a loaded smart gun that only I.....only I can pull the trigger and it always work.

Remember the keyword: only the owner can fire it.

3. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Been posted kicked in the azz and discussed and cussed a hundred times. Smart guns are for retards and leftist libs..

4. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Simply put, I don't trust the technology. I work with electrical/low voltage systems all the time, and they are all prone to failure. Something like this, where my life depends on a circuit, a battery or a sensor, all of which are less than 100% reliable, is nothing I want near me. Even though a regular gun can have a failure, I would say it is much less likely. Adding complexity simply increases the chances that something will fail. Just wait until a smart gun gets involved in an incident where it won't fire, imagine the lawsuits. It's a bad idea, and I hope it goes away. When it comes to guns, I'll stick with simpler mechanical systems over complex electrical ones. Anyone who has used bio readers or prox sensors knows what I'm talking about.

5. Idaho44

Idaho44 Idaho, West of Beaver Dicks Ferry Active Member

What he said is soo true! Anyone here still using 8 inch floppy disks?

6. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

No.
    But then again, I never had to defend my home, my family, or my life with one either.

7. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Would you let your kid play with a loaded "smart" gun programmed only for you?

JeremyK likes this.
  8. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

Next time you have to reboot your computer, or your phone, ask yourself if you'd bet your life on that level of technology when other choices exist.

....thought so.

Caveman Jim and etrain16 like this.
  9. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

A smart gun that only fires for it's owner can become even smarter and only fire when the government says it can.

10. etrain16

When it comes to technology interfacing with guns, the only one I'm interested in is the Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40-watt range.

shootnscoot and 8ball like this.
  11. Gunguy45

Gunguy45 Well-Known Member

If it were every bit as reliable as other guns, did NOT require taking time to "turn it on," or otherwise fail to function in an emergency and was priced similarly to manual products, I have no problem with it.

Since no such technology is even remotely on the horizon, it's a non-starter. DNA sampler? What happens when I wear gloves? is it going to stick me in the hand every time I pick it up?

Basically a "smart gun" that any gun owner would want would have to be magic, or technologically so advanced that it was indistinguishable FROM magic in order to be feasible.

This is an idea from people who know nothing about firearms, nothing about self-defense and nothing about engineering. I could explain why it's a bad idea to a retarded 10-year-old and they'd instantly grasp the problems.

12. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

This is an idea from left wing liberals with nothing but good intentions. All looks good on paper. Unintended circumstances? What's that? :confused:

13. usagi

usagi Redmond Well-Known Member

after LEO and military adopt it universally. then i'll consider it.

8ball likes this.
  14. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

Just what you see, Pal...

etrain16 and 8ball like this.
  15. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

Since, according to Pew Research, 60% of gun deaths are from suicide, how will this make any meaningful impact on gun "violence?"

Don't believe for a second that this is a "safety" issue.

Funny how having "smart" technology is making people more stupid. I think Apple is responsible for a full 10 point drop in the collective IQ in America.

Have you seen these cars that now brake for you and have avoidance technology? Like that is going to create more observant, careful drivers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-are-dying-from-gun-suicides-than-homicides/

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    etrain16 likes this.
  16. etrain16

Alright, go ahead and give me the .45 long slide with laser sighting :p

TERMSE_SIDEA-3.jpg

Interesting story behind that gun if you get a chance to read about it. A lot of work went into that early laser.