JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry I searched for a thread on this and could not find one. I'm looking for a light for my AR15, the surefire's are too expensive for me, so I've been looking at the streamlights, I tested a TL-1 (don't need the -2 with the laser), I'm sure this light works awesome in interior close battle, but not sure of the downrange capability of this light. I want a light with a good 50 to 100 yard range where I can clearly see my target, unfortunately cannot test any of these lights at night, any suggestions?

I don't think any rail light will get you 50-100 yard clarity.
The TLR-1 is a great light but definitely designed more for close quarters.

I'll take mine out tonight when I take the dog across the street to the park and see how good it is.

I have a pelican LED its sweet and not to bad on price.

I think its a m3 or m6 cant remember but had an older pelican and traded it in on the one i needed.

(thats pelicans policy by the way)

I will buy there products hands down as there customer service is top notch!!!!

Newcastle....FWIW I and several staff at OFA have for the last two years conducted extensive testing on all the current suite of weapon mounted lights from IMI, Streamlight and Surefire. PLUS our staff gets a front row seat at observing students, their lights, and their performance using various lights during night fire courses and when students enter the dark room at the Adjudicator during daylight training and need a light to survive the simulated real world self-defense situation.

We've tried them side-by-side inside, outside, clear night, raining night, foggy night and even downstream from a campfire with the smoke clouding the evening. We've tried incans and LEDs. For a good weight to light ratio you cannot go wrong with the TL lights. It is lightweight relative to the amount of light output. Plus more importantly the beam penetrated well through a variety of environmental conditions and is consistent giving a broad swath of usable light. The switch is positive and gives you full on or intermittent. The lock down on the clamp is a real plus cuz I've seen similar lights fly off in the middle of training. It can be spun up and down very easy with a thumb.

The only downside to the light is there is no lock out on the switch so there is a chance the light may inadvertently come on when in storage mode (don't ask me how I know!). I carry my carbine either in a Pelican case or a Blackhawk Soft Shell carrier and I've gone through many sets of batteries because the switch gets turned on inadvertently. I've tried to come up with a sleeve to keep it from coming on but haven't been successful and my calls to Streamlight have fell on deaf ears. So regrettably one must remove the batteries if it is going to be stored in a case or transported in an enclosed case/bag or laying on a seat where.

The nice aspect about this light is it will not break the bank and it will give you a light that can be interchanged between handgun and carbine. It has the best pattern and density of its competitors - Surefire and IMI. I personally tried all three in an unbiased test for over a month and this is my go too light.

Also in our testing under multiple atmospheric conditions the Incan consistently out performs LED lamps but that is quickly changing. Incan's seem to penetrate fog, smoke and humidity better than LED's. The trade-off is shorter battery life. So I generally carry a Surefire LED light on my body for standard lightening chores and for searching and only use the weapon mounted light for engagements. I do not use it to search as I do not want to point a deadly weapon at a potential non-thread (i.e. friend, family or responding LEO). I've found multi-tasking goes to pot in stressful situations and most of us don't do it well even when not under stress. When you mount a light to a weapon some people try to do triple duty...is it a flashlight, a rifle or a rifle with a light? Too many decisions. So hand held for general purpose and for searching and weapon light for when I'm engaged.

I have had a few different lights. A Surefire X200, Sufefire G2 with a Vltor mount, G2L (LED) on the Vltor mount Insight M6X, and a insight M3. For the price I liked the M3 the best. Only a hundred bucks, very bright, and seemed durable, can go on a handgun too.

I use a TLR-1 on a barrel mount at 12 o'clock.

coltm42.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads