JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use a TLR-1s as my current weapon light, I've had mine for about 2 years, and I had a first gen TLR-1 that traded to a friend who is a LEO when he was in the market for a weapon light. The newest TLR-1 (and 2) is the TLR-1H which has a different reflector and is supposed to be even brighter. Considering getting one for a permanent mount on the home-defense AR. There are also different reflector/lense combos for the TLR series if you want a bigger cone of light, plus you can get the pressure switches and replace your back plate, like the SureFire M and X series lights have. The heavy duty pyrex lenses and aluminum bodies on the TLRs inspire more confidence than cheaper lights I've owned (like the Glock weapon light)

I've had owned and borrowed other weapon lights and the Streamlights seem to me to be the best bang for the buck. SureFire has some nice products, but their stuff demands a lot more money for similar performance. The one aspect I preferred from the SureFires - independent switches on the sides of the light. With the TLRs you have flipped controls - left side push down for momentary and up for steady light, and vice versa on the right side controls. Other lights with independent switches use the same directions for momentary/constant on settings. Not a fan of the ones with push-buttons on the side like the Sig.

The only other complaint I've got - and it runs across every weapon light I've used - is heat. Even though LEDs run cooler than the old incan bulbs - the batteries and circuits, plus the diode themselves do get hot - quite hot if you use it in constant mode for a little while.

I like the concept of the compact lights like the Crimson Trace and Veridian models - I'd love it if I could get a compact, slim, squared profile light that had the blinding output of the TLR-1 or 2 - but the technology isn't there yet. I do anxiously await it's arrival though - it will make carrying a gun with a light mounted a lot more comfortable, and maybe even allow for the retention to be supplied by the trigger guard again, rather than tension on the light body and slide like the bulbous (pardon the pun) lights we have now call for.

As you guys put it - the TLR1 is a weapon in itself, which is what I want in a gun mounted light. The smaller, dimmer lights just don't cut it in that department. I'd much rather blind a bad guy and hold him at bay than have to shoot him.

The strobe function (and I'm wondering if they got the wrong circuit board in your sample since yours didn't have the strobe functionality) is really quite discomforting - testing it with family members (not while mounted to the gun - for the safety ninnies out there) has found that none have been able to stand looking at the strobing light for more than a split second - too painful, and if you try looking into the strobe you start feeling ill - so if you're prone to seizures I might opt for the non-strobe model, but if your bed-time burglar happens to be epileptic it will probably send him to the hospital without a shot fired.

The heavier construction of the light also lends itself well to recoil - which is what I would've liked to see in your videos - how do these lights hold up to recoil. Would have liked to see how they held up on a variety of guns - 9mm, .40 .45ACP, .223, and 12ga but I'm guessing ammo constraints probably stopped you from testing them under actual fire. I'm especially curious how the Inforce light would hold up - it looked out of the bunch you reviewed to have the lowest build quality. The bezel looked like plastic with thin glass or plexiglass for the lens.

Over all I think you guys did a good video and gave a good, practical comparison of the lights real-world performance as a light.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads