JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was just wondering since I couldn't really find a defined answer. Can you hunt cotton tail rabbit with a reddot and is there a magazine capacity maximum? Haven't been hunting since I was a teenager but since things are getting sketchy figured it's a good time to start again.
Thanks!

In Oregon, cottontails fall under the "unprotected mammal" category. No season, no bag limits, no weapon restrictions. You do have to be aware of any area specific restrictions Ie. shotgun only areas, non-toxic shot areas, season closures, etc... E.E. Wilson WMA is a good example. There are also some restrictions during certain big game seasons.

From page 64 of the 2020 Big Game regs which covers small game hunting (yeah it doesn't make sense but there it is):

Unprotected mammals are not covered under the game mammal, furbearer, or sensitive species rules. For unprotected mammals, there are no closed seasons or bag limits. However, a hunting license is required and all general hunting regulations still apply. Commonly hunted unprotected mammals include coyote, cottontail rabbits, black-tailed jackrabbit, opossum, nutria, California ground squirrel, and Belding's ground squirrels.

Last Edited:
Was just wondering since I couldn't really find a defined answer. Can you hunt cotton tail rabbit with a reddot and is there a magazine capacity maximum?

Note: Oregon...

I did some rabbit hunting last year and dug into this. In short there are no weapon restrictions but some general hunting regulations do apply... even shorter: red dots are allowed and no mag capacity restrictions for rabbit.
Long version: Battery powered optics that only illuminate the reticle are allowed, all other battery powered optics prohibited. You can hunt with dogs, you can hunt at night but you cant spotlight them :confused: but you can spotlight for raccoons, skunks, and possum ;) but the light cant be attached to a vehicle :rolleyes:. You can hunt all species of rabbit except the white-tailed jackrabbit (eastern Ore.) and the pygmy rabbit (southeast Ore.) cannot be hunted.
See pages 17 and 18 of the big game regs along with pg 64 'roundball' mentions above. Note the difference between "game mammals" vs "unprotected mammals"... weapon restrictions only apply to game mammals (pg18). (definitions on pg 87).

ODFW has a great web page dedicated to rabbit hunting including recipes. I like to salt and pepper them for about 30 minutes then put them on the grill.

0316192331a_HDR_wm.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top