JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should a home defense pistol have a light on it?

• Absolutely! A pistol with no light is like peanut butter with no jelly.

Votes: 42 45.2%
  • No way! My stealth ninja skills work better in the dark.

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Get a good flashlight. If it's big enough, you can use it as a club.

Votes: 41 44.1%

• Total voters
The title of this thread is "Should a home defense pistol have a light on it?"

I'm amazed that 90% voted for either a weapon mounted light or a hand held light. (about 50-50 there.) Only 10% voted for no light at all.

Just amazed. Here we are, on our turf, which we should have designed to work to our benefit. Obviously it's night or the light wouldn't be in the equation. The title says we are in our home in the dark.

I want to hide from and surprise the BG, not give myself away. It will cost very little to arrange the house lights to blind the bad guy and to leave me in the dark. He's flooded with light - hallway - and I'm in a dark spot - my bedroom. He can't see me. Geez, it would be so easy to put a motion sensor in the hall or a three way switch in the BR which would flood the hall but not the BR.

He's now flooded with light, looking into a black hole where I am. If it's a friendly in the hall, I can see that without giving myself away. If it's a BG, he gets blown back into the great room without ever seeing me.

What's so hard here?

I can see benefit to a light on a gun outdoors when exploring. You can have the light without giving up your proper gun grip. If you can't see to get around or ID items without a light, fine, but it's still a necessary risk.

But in my home, on my turf, against a stranger who doesn't even know where my BR is or where I am or even the layout of the house? Where I've had ample opportunity to arrange home lighting to his disadvantage - to flood his eyes with light while I hide in the dark looking at him?

In the night, in the dark?

Please?

I agree with others who've said a separate light is better. You may want to sweep an area of light that you don't want to sweep with your gun muzzle, for example. There are plenty of techniques available to effectively use a handgun and a separate light (especially for the ranges inside a house that you'd need to hit).
Best

I agree also. I don't care to sweep a target that is not identified! Wouldn't be without a light of some sort, but would rather have it unattached from the pistol. HD where I live is mostly, the dog is aware something doesn't belong, followed by outside floods in different locations that are triggered by motion.
Sights can be be lined up on the treat, if there is one. All this without not being able to know my location.:s0155:

I have both. One is none, two is one theory.

I have a small, bright surefire LED, and a weapon mounted light. I use both. On my AR I have a light, and when I purchase my shotgun, that will get one, too.

I like to absolutely identify my threat, so as to avoid ANY legal backlash that may come with shooting someone. If I can see a gun, knife, who my attacker/intruder is...

No matter HOW good your night vision is, identifying subtleties such as WHAT item is in the suspects' hand may become very important.

Waking up in the midle of the night in a home with an alarm and dogs to a threat makes the threat pretty real. With at said coming from a deep sleep to a position of defense I only want to grab one tool. So an attached light works for me. A momentary switch on the light is best, you can light up the shadows and if you are pointing at friend/family or foe it is a single unit pointed at them. You can apoligize to friend/family for pointing your firearm but the seconds it might take to bring your firearm on target where you other hand flash light is might cost you your life. If you have a quality light it will blind the person on the other end. Some will say the flash light in the other hand can be used as a defensive wepon as well but I prefer the free hand as the last option or even better to steady the shot I put into the bad guy. I believe I have far more control with the light on my firearm than I do with a light in my other hand and using a momentary switch in a stress situation IMHO. I might be wrong but the US military and most LEO departments seem to agree.

I have both. One is none, two is one theory.

I have a small, bright surefire LED, and a weapon mounted light. I use both. On my AR I have a light, and when I purchase my shotgun, that will get one, too.

I like to absolutely identify my threat, so as to avoid ANY legal backlash that may come with shooting someone. If I can see a gun, knife, who my attacker/intruder is...

No matter HOW good your night vision is, identifying subtleties such as WHAT item is in the suspects' hand may become very important.

This thread is about an indoor threat, in your home, at night. You will have prepared your home so that the lights allow you to see an attacked better than he can see you, and better yet that he can't see you.

You will have an alarm which turns on lights, and sensors which turn on hall lights, or a hall light switch in your bedroom. You will be prepared in your space to defeat the BG in the lighting department.

Using a flashlight is being prepared for outside. A light on the gun is OK for shooting but not for sweeping. You don't point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot.

If you use a flashlight in your home at night you are giving the BG a big advantage. He now knows where you are when he should in fact be lost in a strange house, and flooded with lights so you can see him.

$.02

Waking up in the midle of the night in a home with an alarm and dogs to a threat makes the threat pretty real. With at said coming from a deep sleep to a position of defense I only want to grab one tool. So an attached light works for me. A momentary switch on the light is best, you can light up the shadows and if you are pointing at friend/family or foe it is a single unit pointed at them. You can apoligize to friend/family for pointing your firearm but the seconds it might take to bring your firearm on target where you other hand flash light is might cost you your life. If you have a quality light it will blind the person on the other end. Some will say the flash light in the other hand can be used as a defensive wepon as well but I prefer the free hand as the last option or even better to steady the shot I put into the bad guy. I believe I have far more control with the light on my firearm than I do with a light in my other hand and using a momentary switch in a stress situation IMHO. I might be wrong but the US military and most LEO departments seem to agree.

You're kidding, right? You have evidence that LEO's and military members equip their own homes that way, for night defense? Their own homes where they can control the conditions including the alarm, maybe dogs, the lighting, and have a well developed defense plan? You're sure about that?

Not to be the bringer of bad safety measures, but I get muzzle swept all the time.

Still standing. :)

Rigging the lights in the house thing is a bad idea. If you have all the lights in your house focused on one area, what happens when the fight moves somewhere else? Let's say the BG somehow makes it past you and down the hall. You have now have no flashlight. Great plan!

You should learn how to use a weapon light properly! :s0155:

OK. I'll learn to use one so that it sweeps no friendlies, and puts out no light which could give my position away to a BG. :s0155:

Dang, don't you guys rig the lighting in your house to put yourself in the dark and the BG in bright light?

This thread is about in your house, at night. Have you planned for that?

No one can get into my house at night without setting off an alarm, or if that's disabled, alerting the dogs. No one can walk through my house without getting bathed in light. No one can crash into my house without breaking a window or crashing a strong steel door.

This is about my digs. I'm not going to wake up in the middle of the night in a dark bedroom with someone standing over me. Never happen. How about you?

OK. I'll learn to use one so that it sweeps no friendlies, and puts out no light which could give my position away to a BG. :s0155:

Dang, don't you guys rig the lighting in your house to put yourself in the dark and the BG in bright light?

This thread is about in your house, at night. Have you planned for that?

No one can get into my house at night without setting off an alarm, or if that's disabled, alerting the dogs. No one can walk through my house without getting bathed in light. No one can crash into my house without breaking a window or crashing a strong steel door.

This is about my digs. I'm not going to wake up in the middle of the night in a dark bedroom with someone standing over me. Never happen. How about you?

I really don't mean to be rude, but your comments are sounding off your lack of formal training like an air horn.

Lights are a great tool when used correctly.

I wonder what would happen if someone broke into your house VIA a window, the attic, etc. I would love to try some force-on-force in your home, if you feel that you're correct so strongly. Our insurance will cover you medically if you get injured, and up to a certain amount (More than we'd ever use) for damaged property. :) We can use Airsoft so the risk is lower than Simunition.

I use a system in my home that allows me to turn on lights thru-out the house from my bedside. The system works from remote controllers plugged into outlets anywhere in the house. Can be equiped with a wireless adaptor or a keyfob like attachment. I have 3 remotes bedroom, tv room, and the kitchen.

As I go to bed I simply leave the lights with a module on and hit the all off button when I am ready to retire. If I am alerted to a sound during the nite I can either turn on a light in that area of the house or hit the all lites on button. A module can be installed so that if my alarm goes off for any reason it's all lights on.

My thoughts are if there is an intruder they would most likely be making their way out if all the lights came on. I also feel that I would rather move towards the light rather than bring the light with me. Thus me presenting the light as a target as I approach the offending noise.

A weakness to this is if no power, no light. I have also plugged in strategically positioned outlets backup lights that come on when the power fails. These are placed mostly for pathway lighting. They (the lights) also serve as a flashlight when removed from the outlet.

The system has never been 'Bad Guy" tested. I have caught a teenage son trying to sneak out though.

I really don't mean to be rude, but your comments are sounding off your lack of formal training like an air horn.

Lights are a great tool when used correctly.

I wonder what would happen if someone broke into your house VIA a window, the attic, etc. I would love to try some force-on-force in your home, if you feel that you're correct so strongly. Our insurance will cover you medically if you get injured, and up to a certain amount (More than we'd ever use) for damaged property. :) We can use Airsoft so the risk is lower than Simunition.

Come and get me only we use real guns. Fake guns are for sissies. You step into my house uninvited at night and see how it works out for you.

The first thing that will happen is that you will be really lost in a maze with lights flashing and dogs barking.

HouseB550.jpg

I was not meaning to threaten you. :)

Safety through offensive use of firearms is something I take very seriously. We donate a lot of our time for free, when available. It was just an offer.

The first thing that will happen is that you will be really lost in a maze with lights flashing and dogs barking.

Don't think that would bother me. We run drills for that. Once a month we rent a big empty warehouse for a few days, and shroud all the windows. Inside, we hang strobe lights, set off alarms, and the last two months we had a "Sprinkler" area. (Which is a LOT more difficult than you'd think.)
The idea is to accomplish a certain pre-set mission while dealing with all these elements. For the last day, we use Airsoft guns and shoot force-on-force.

Out of everyone that has come through the organization, only two have died in the field. And they hit IED's. (RIP).

Good luck! :)

I was not meaning to threaten you. :)

Safety through offensive use of firearms is something I take very seriously. We donate a lot of our time for free, when available. It was just an offer.

Don't think that would bother me. We run drills for that. Once a month we rent a big empty warehouse for a few days, and shroud all the windows. Inside, we hang strobe lights, set off alarms, and the last two months we had a "Sprinkler" area. (Which is a LOT more difficult than you'd think.)
The idea is to accomplish a certain pre-set mission while dealing with all these elements. For the last day, we use Airsoft guns and shoot force-on-force.

Out of everyone that has come through the organization, only two have died in the field. And they hit IED's. (RIP).

Good luck! :)

LOL, I wasn't threatening you either. However, this house has a formal entry with a maze off of it. The man doors and garage doors and the interior door for that one room with a downstairs window (the ONLY window on the ground floor) are commercial steel doors bolted to steel.

We have a thread something like "What did you do today to prepare." I did a lot of preparing two years ago when I designed and built this house. It's full of surprises and has battery backup in case you figure out how to cut the power lines. It has two alarms, one not accessible from the outside. I have noisy dogs inside, and they are away from the entrance.

The lights inside and out are designed to surprise you. The exterior is very fire resistant with fireproof roofing and (Hardy Plank) fireproof siding.

After Argentina's crash in 2001 caused by overspending, I began to think that could happen to us and I still think it's very possible if not inevitable.

You might get me at night in my home, but I don't believe you'd survive it unless you have military equipment and can shell and demolish the house.

Don't bother walking around at night in this house with a flashlight and making a target out of yourself. You'll already be a target. :s0114:

Let's not test it though, OK? I'd rather be friends. :)

Peace. :s0155:

You're kidding, right? You have evidence that LEO's and military members equip their own homes that way, for night defense? Their own homes where they can control the conditions including the alarm, maybe dogs, the lighting, and have a well developed defense plan? You're sure about that?

Gunner not kidding at all, didn't say anything about military or LEO's equipt there homes that way. The thought is these are the tools they use at WORK in far more adverse conditions than the normal home owner. I expect the job they do, the tools afforded to them and the training they have this is a reasonable practice for home defense in an adverse situation:huh: If it is the practice of the military and the police departments seems like a more than reasonable defense practice for a home owner. I honestly hope the alarm, dogs and other tools keep the threat from my home but if is doesn't then what?

You can't control all conditions even at home. I agree a good alarm system, motion light, video camera's and a good dog adds to protection. If I had the perfect answer I'd be rich......all the same why are you busting my nut?

Just provided my opinion

Gunner not kidding at all, didn't say anything about military or LEO's equipt there homes that way. The thought is these are the tools they use at WORK in far more adverse conditions than the normal home owner. I expect the job they do, the tools afforded to them and the training they have this is a reasonable practice for home defense in an adverse situation:huh: If it is the practice of the military and the police departments seems like a more than reasonable defense practice for a home owner. I honestly hope the alarm, dogs and other tools keep the threat from my home but if is doesn't then what?

You can't control all conditions even at home. I agree a good alarm system, motion light, video camera's and a good dog adds to protection. If I had the perfect answer I'd be rich......all the same why are you busting my nut?

Just provided my opinion

Not meaning to bust anything. It's just that the topic of this thread is about someone breaking into our own homes at night, not what LEO's or military do when they are out and about. In my own home, I have conditions which are more controlled in my favor than I would otherwise have. That's especially true if I planned.

You're right though, no plan is foolproof. :s0155:

I use a system in my home that allows me to turn on lights thru-out the house from my bedside. The system works from remote controllers plugged into outlets anywhere in the house. Can be equiped with a wireless adaptor or a keyfob like attachment. I have 3 remotes bedroom, tv room, and the kitchen.

A weakness to this is if no power, no light. I have also plugged in strategically positioned outlets backup lights that come on when the power fails. These are placed mostly for pathway lighting. They (the lights) also serve as a flashlight when removed from the outlet.

Wow! That's a great idea. Inexpensive and easy to do. The best thing you can do is make it easy for you to see the BG and hard for them to see you.

The first thing I would do if I ever get into a position to buy a house (aka I'm broke!) is put up motion detector lights around my house. Most people like to prey in the night, so they can hide in the dark. When you take away their cover they usually run away. Obviously you can't bank on that, but usually gets rid of the punk kids.
If someone is really out to get you it's best to always be ready, always have the tools necessary to be on the offensive, have a back up plan, and most important don't ever let your gaurd down. If you allow yourself to be a victim most likely in this day in age you will become one.
And having a dog helps too. Dogs can be the best alarms in the world. And often they can distract the intruder enoug to give you a minute to grab your gun, flashlight, extra mag, glasses, probably in that order. :s0114:

I have flashlights every where and surefire x300s mounted on my xd tactical, colt rail gun, and a x400 on my sig gsr 1911. Also I have a remington 870 with a surefire forend. Perfect for the night time visitor.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top