JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should a home defense pistol have a light on it?

• Absolutely! A pistol with no light is like peanut butter with no jelly.

Votes: 42 45.2%
  • No way! My stealth ninja skills work better in the dark.

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Get a good flashlight. If it's big enough, you can use it as a club.

Votes: 41 44.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
I have been thinking for a while about putting a light on my nightstand pistol. It makes sense to me to have a dedicated light on a home defense handgun for any night time encounters. I have heard some people say this is absolutely necessary, and others say they would never have a light mounted on any gun. Those who advocate a dedicated light say that it frees up a hand to open a door, flip a light switch, or create distance from an attacker. Those who don't like the idea of a light may say that it gives away your position to anyone inside your home as you investigate. Both sides make a good enough argument for their views, but I wanted to get a consensus of the folks here. Is it better to mount something semi-permanently to your pistol, or is it better to go with your night sights? I will also add a third option; just simply keeping a good flashlight next to your pistol on the nightstand.

What do you all think, and why?

I will start. I like the idea of a light. I want that extra hand free to do whatever it is I might need to do if I am checking out a noise in my house at night. I don't care if they see the glow of my light coming, then maybe they will just get the heck out before it gets ugly. I would prefer that than having to actually shoot at anyone. I suppose you could also just use a momentary switch if you are that concerned about revealing your presence by way of a light.

Keeping a good flashlight next to my pistol has served well so far, and I have heard that it can help to present a false idea of where you are if you point it at someone while holding your arm out to the side.

Having no light at all just seems to me like giving away a potential advantage in a home defense situation.

Let's hear what you think!!! :s0155:

By the way, the poll options are supposed to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, so don't get all offended!

I voted yes, absolutely.

Mmmmmmm........... Jelly..........

Homer.jpg

I like the idea of a light on the gun, but having a separate flashlight feels safer to me, based on this single experience (Its only an opinion). Reason is that one time back in college when I lived with 7 roommates, I came home really late one night and tried to sneak upstairs and not wake the guys. Old college houses creaky as they are, one of my buddies did wake up, and as I got to the top of stairs he shoved his maglight in my face and yelled who are you. If he had a light on his glock, I would have been staring down the barrel. Instead it was pointed at the floor. That's my only experience, but I was really glad he didn't point the gun at me. Credit to him for keeping his cool and determining if I was an intruder. Needless to say, I started announcing myself when getting home late. However, unless you have a big family or roomates, this situation might never present itself. Just my two cents.

I was thinking of that same type of scenario. If you were to use your weapon light just as you would a regular flashlight, you might end up pointing your weapon in all sorts of places you probably shouldn't. Things could get out of hand real quickly. Imagine explaining to your neighbors why you are shining your Glock at the pavement while you go out to get the mail.

I like having a light beside my bed, but I DON'T want it attached to my pistol. I want to be able to use the light without having to point the gun. Maybe, I'm wrong, but that's my theory at this time.

No WAY!!! :D

The OP is talking about inside the house for a nightstand. In other words, home defense and at night.

1. The dogs and alarm wake me.

2. The dogs tell me where the threat is.

3. My eyes are adjusted to the dark.

4. We have soft night lights throughout, plugged into wall sockets. Our bedroom is wired so that I can flip a switch and turn the hall light on - 3 way switch. He's going to find himself flooded with light, back and front lighted and staring into a dark bedroom. :s0155:

5. I know where the threat is but he doesn't know where I am. If he appears, I can see him but he hasn't seen me yet.

6. There's no way I'm turning on a flashlight and giving my position away. NO way.

7. He dies.

8. And the rest of us live happily ever after. :D

You are in your space which he has invaded. He is the confused stranger and therefore the loser. You have the choice to prepare yourself and your surroundings to benefit you and disable his senses.

$.02

PS There is no way I'm leaving the bedroom unless the house is on fire. The minute I leave and start searching the house I become a target. If there is more than one BG it's even worse. Ya gotta come and get me on my terms, and it gonna hurt. :s0155:

I don't buy the whole, "the bad guy has something to aim at" argument when it comes to lights. If the house is fairly dark and the bad guy's eyes are adjusted to dark, the light will somewhat blind them, offering a few extra seconds. Unless you have nightvision goggles and it is pitch black they are going to see you even if you don't have a light. Besides, if it comes to a shootout, they can aim at your muzzle flashes. I'd rather see what I'm aiming at.

I don't buy the whole, "the bad guy has something to aim at" argument when it comes to lights. If the house is fairly dark and the bad guy's eyes are adjusted to dark, the light will somewhat blind them, offering a few extra seconds. Unless you have nightvision goggles and it is pitch black they are going to see you even if you don't have a light. Besides, if it comes to a shootout, they can aim at your muzzle flashes. I'd rather see what I'm aiming at.

My muzzle flashes each include a free trial package of 00 buckshot. I can't imagine a burglar standing in the face of short range blasts like that and using those flashes as something to aim at. In my situation, I believe that the last thing he ever sees before he sees the gates of **** is a muzzle flash.

$.02.

Although I own the surefire light/lazer combo that slides onto the Glock accessory rail, I wouldn't use the flashlight portion. Training I've received stongly opposes light on the firearm UNLESS its in addition to a carry light. The reasons are stated in earlier posts about lighting up the scene AND pointing your weapon. The training has the stong hand wrist resting across, on top, of the weak hands wrist whick is holding the flashlight.

Our house also has the alarm, dogs and soft night lights
throughout the entire house. The night lights also help to not
trip over the dogs during the night while they are sleeping. :s0155:

the idea is. you're at home, call the cops. be vocal. tell bumps in the night to leave. anyone who is someone you know will respond back, the other will hide or run. Either way. You're ready with your weapon, don't walk into areas where you could be compromised.
My house has motion sensor lights so they can tip me off if someone careless has been walking thru my house.

Having a light handy is an absolute must as far as tactics go. Having said light attached to your handgun seems like a bad idea IMHO.

Remember--Never point your weapon at ANYTHING you are not willing to destroy/kill. If you haven't identified what the "threat" is yet then why would you want to be pointing your weapon at "it"?

Confirm threat THEN engage.

:s0159:

Good plan Gunner, Don't feed the dogs so much! Mine is older, but bet ya don't want to come in. Nothing belongs in her yard except us. Night time motion dection lights (sometimes deer or other four legged critters) sets her off. Her vocals, keep most intruders well away from the house. I have mixed thoughts about attached lighting except perhaps a strobe that can be quickly be turned off and on. Other than within a room, a short barrel shot gun would be a choice before an entery was made. Again the outside motion lights will outline what ever made it go on. Keeps surprise to a minimum!

Having a light handy is an absolute must as far as tactics go. Having said light attached to your handgun seems like a bad idea IMHO.

Remember--Never point your weapon at ANYTHING you are not willing to destroy/kill. If you haven't identified what the "threat" is yet then why would you want to be pointing your weapon at "it"?

Confirm threat THEN engage.

:s0159:

+1. Not a fan of lights attached to handguns. Having to point your gun at an unidentified "threat" in order to identify it as friend or foe (ie your small children up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom) is not a good idea. Also if it is a threat all they have to do is shoot at the light to hit you. You can hold a detached flashlight away from your body. That being said I also believe that on a long gun a light is essential attachment to id target in the dark because you can't handle the weapon and light simultaneously because you don't have enough hands. Also the hand that activates the light is not the same as the one you pull the trigger with to reduce chance of AD. Keep that finger off the trigger and out of the guard until you are sure you want to shoot. :s0155:

Personally, I keep a maglite and a S&W 686 handy. Upon reading this, I'm beginning to think I ought to keep some duct-tape or bailing wire handy in case I need to combine the two into the greatest HD weapon ever.:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top