JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This just happened today:

First off I was laid off from my job in November before thanksgiving (which is kinda harsh to begin with.) the 2nd time in 2 years, with the same intention to be hired back on again with increased business in the spring.
The months pass, still struggling to make ends meet, but surviving...
Then as i'm checking job listings, I see a job in my former profession, looks good.. then I look at the email address.. it's my old managers. (!)
So I go down to the shop, the guys greet me, we chat a bit, then I talk to my manager. Said I didn't keep in touch and "so, We thought you moved." and had officially fired me... without calling, contacting, or even emailing me.
He says he'll talk to the owner about hiring me back on.. to half the hours I had.

Part of me says that's total bubblegum and should be mad, shouldn't I?

So, I'm back to the job hunt, with no fall-back anymore, with enough money for hopefully another month.
..Anyone in the rogue valley or nearby looking for an able-bodied jack of all trades, with computer, construction, design, assembly, and customer service experience? (with a sprinkling of firearms knowledge.)

I think there's plenty of that going around and if you were a long timer with a lot of benefits and good pay it's worse cause employers can get younger guys for lots less money right now. Sure they give up some experiance and such but the mighty dollar rules. Been there and got that t-shirt myself from what I'm seeing. No severance pay or nothing after 25 years of service and nothing bad on my work record that I'm aware of.

Worse yet I took a job thats about dollar for dollar even with the unenjoyment I could have drawn for another year without doing anything and my "guaranteed hours" are being cut whenever possible so I'm actually under stess every week of making less than my unenjoyment check had I done nothing at all. Sometimes I just plain feel silly for working, paying taxes and my mortgage when others seem to find ways around it with no remorse.

Yeah, and I know that I'm not the only one who this has happened to. And the many jobs i've applied to in the last 5 months, only 2 i've got to go to an interview. One for the TSA (3 months of pre-approvals and hoops to have 2 people say my answers didn't meet the "currently strict" standards, even though i passed all the pre-tests and should have swimingly passed the BG checks) and one for another company recently, that "we'll call you next week" ..was last week.

In a twisted way the times are "good" for employers because if they need people, they have more to "pick of the litter" from. But i'm not an employer. And when you got bills to pay and people to feed, "we thought you moved" ...you know that level of p*($@^ off when you aren't even angry you're just.. "Wow. Really?"
That said, i'm not "disgruntled" or have a beef with them. I don't. All I can do is move on and keep looking. "Be the better man" maybe i'll luck out, get something better and i'll enjoy.
...*puts away the soapbox* right, anyway. I guess I can switch it up and ask if others have had those "Wow, really?" moments in that situation.

(sidenote to my earlier post: Ironically with what happened to that guy from ODOT, I got laid off, and the next week bought one of my first [and now favorite] rifles. Then later a feel-better present in the form of an SKS and a 9mm from my tax return... to which the rest went to keeping me afloat for 2 months, and my 401k from said company's gonna save my butt this month. after that...)

Last Edited:
Similar situation here. I was injured on the job last august and had to take 6 weeks off. (workmans comp.) and was rehabbed. Released to go back to work at full duty. My employer, also my brother in law, said he was afraid I would re injure myself and denied me my lawful return to work. Now BOLI has the claim as a descirimination claim. So much for family!! This guy is known for being a personal dirtbag with low morals. It has driven me to seek another career at age 62. Best of luck my friend! Greydog.

Tough times call for drastic measures.

I wish I had a niche job that would employ about 100 people who are honest hard workers.

I really sucks about crappy employers who don't permit a return to work.

In tough times you find out who your true friends/relatives are. I'm in the same boat, we're all rowing together.. let us not forget that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top