JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
RE : Post #640
Sights on the Surplus Rifles.

Getting old and iron sights......yeah, they both kind of suck.

Note : Don't get me started, about those Utes.

1656783203554.png

You know......
Those whipper snappers....who don't know much about iron sights and mostly only use scopes.

Rrrrrright.....
BUT, But, but......to each his own.

So then......
For me. Speaking of iron sights, on the surplus rifles that I own.......

I prefer the Garand's rear peep and front blade w/flat top.
Next would be the.....
*Mosin Nagant's style of round post with a squared-off top and rectangular cut notch rear sight.
Then it would be the......
Mauser "barleycorn front and V notch rear sight".

As for my R.F.I. (Rifle Factory Ishapore) 2A1 in 7.62 NATO (call it a "modernized SMLE") with its tiny front sight blade and straight-up blade protectors then add in that small rear cut notch. Yeah, it's a "problem" of another sort.

*I suspect that the Finnish M39's sights are even better. Though, I've never really shot one. Only saw them on the rack. I could never see myself/justify to myself......spending that MUCH MONEY to own one. Especially since I'm only shooting at 25 yards with iron sights.

That's just my $0.02 on the subject.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Nearly put this in the WW1/WW2 thread, but considering a 1956 production date, and Swiss neutrality, I suppose it's more at home in the C&R thread.

CF7EA7C2-2639-481C-B7A9-82C8DF4053F5.jpeg

A few from my C&R collection...
Colt 1903 Hammerless in 32 Auto
Remington Model 12 CS in 22 Remington Special
Forehand & Wadsworth 32 S&W Revolver Late 1890s
Nazi Marked Walther PP in 32 Auto
Polish Radom P64 Pistol 9x18 Mak

334.jpg 14.jpg 12.jpg pp.jpg p64.jpg

Some Spaniards from the 1890's to the 1990's. (I realize the latter two aren't C&R's but it wouldn't be a family photo without them) 4E0574A7-5733-47ED-95BC-9BCE16A333C7.jpeg

My dad carried a Rock-Ola M2 Carbine in Korea...
Always thought it funny that a juke box company made a full auto firearm....true rock and roll there....:D
Andy
Grand Dad carried a International Harvester Garand, he joked that at least the Corn Binder company built good rifles! His 1911 was a Singer, he always thought that was funny, a sewing machine company making pistols!

Uncle sugars money flowed freely
Yup, and many of those companies went belly up when the war ended, ether miss managed, or bought and sold, or absorbed into a bigger company, or they failed to make the transition and innovate to meet the new world demands! Companies like the storied Packard Motor Company went broke, Studebaker, Desoto, and many others all screwed themselves one way or the other!

Yup, and many of those companies went belly up when the war ended, ether miss managed, or bought and sold, or absorbed into a bigger company, or they failed to make the transition and innovate to meet the new world demands! Companies like the storied Packard Motor Company went broke, Studebaker, Desoto, and many others all screwed themselves one way or the other!
Yeah there was some much needed reorganization after the forced propping up during the new deal/WW2 area. Studebaker held on for a long time and just became part of American Motors.

Studebaker was an interesting study in a company that was run by my kind,, engineers. They were convinced they could engineer their way out of financial mismanagement. They were wrong.

Last Edited:
Hi everyone! New member here. Primarily an air gun guy now but I cut my teeth on C&R guns (most of which I've held on to). Recently pulled out this little Swiss Miss. Nothing like a two-stage trigger on a milsurp!

pLxYBaDl.jpg

FZMPzr5l.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews