JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice rolling block carbine....You can leave that at my house anytime...:D
Andy

It was something my dad picked up, probably out of a barrel, after he got out of the Navy in 1947. He worked with his brother in a gun shop. For some reason he didn't talk about that much, or was he into guns in any way as long as I knew him. Makes me sad to think about, now that I find so much interest in the whole damn hobby. He had several old beat to crap guns that I've turned in to newer, usable guns. Except his, what I believe to be, a sporterized pattern 14 in .30-06. *shrug*

Numbers all match. I think it's got the original sling, though there are no markings on it.

P1040661.JPG

P1040662.JPG

P1040663.JPG

P1040664.JPG

Nice rolling block carbine....You can leave that at my house anytime...:D
Andy

Curious what you'd do with it? It's pretty ratty! Barrel throat is all eaten up... Serious rust, pitting over the rest of the metal. I was going to sell it and turn it into something built in the 1900s that I could shoot. :D I'm fond of one o' them "Model of 1917" rifles or, mmm, an 03A3...Mmm.

Curious what you'd do with it? It's pretty ratty! Barrel throat is all eaten up... Serious rust, pitting over the rest of the metal. I was going to sell it and turn it into something built in the 1900s that I could shoot. :D I'm fond of one o' them "Model of 1917" rifles or, mmm, an 03A3...Mmm.
If it is in the condition you say it is...I'd think about rebarreling / rechambering it to .30-30 and clean up the stock , etc...
Andy

If it is in the condition you say it is...I'd think about rebarreling / rechambering it to .30-30 and clean up the stock , etc...
Andy

As bad as the stock and metal is I would think it would cost a butt load of $$ to sleeve it, work the metal and wood over. There's no sentimental value here really. It's a project gun that I'm sure dad never shot. Depression era kid got out of the service at 27 and bought junk to fix up. Only one he fixed up was the deer rifle. He used that. I'll keep it. This one? If I can turn it into something old and solid. :s0155: The other old beater guns of his bought me three fine new guns, and that Swede Mauser and Enfield no1 MKIII. Both fine guns.

A member of the OAC that bought the Burgess 12 Gauge Dad had wanted to look at that rolling Block, I just haven't taken it to a show yet.

As long as the breech face (yes, bolt face if you prefer), then the rifle still has good bones! I'm sure there's something that could be done to make it a shooter again!

As long as the breech face (yes, bolt face if you prefer), then the rifle still has good bones! I'm sure there's something that could be done to make it a shooter again!

Yeah, what? Is that you volunteering to take it on? For pay of course. It's a sickness right? :s0039: :s0112:

I'll say it again...
Re-work that carbine into a Rolling Block Saddle ring .30-30 carbine...As for it being expensive and more than what its worth...yes , cash wise but...
After a re-work , you would have a very unique rifle and give it a new lease on life.

You could always just work on it over time to "save" on the expense....
Andy

Machined trigger guard and finger grooves tell me ES340N from 1930 on, but lack of receiver grooves and serial number that is supposed to start with '8' has me confungled.

Yours looks to have the same sights, but the bolt handle and stock are different. Of the few I've seen on-line they had my same stock and bolt handle. The differences have been a checkered trigger guard and placement of the safety. That's all I can think of now anyway. Well, there's a hood for the front sight, but I think all sights have the groove in the base for the hood.

I guess I hadn't looked all that deep before.
This...
Mauser .22 Target Rifle
Says '24-'29. Has finger groove. And serial starting with (8) though?
And ES340N changed safety.?.

Last Edited:
Yours looks to have the same sights, but the bolt handle and stock are different. Of the few I've seen on-line they had my same stock and bolt handle. The differences have been a checkered trigger guard and placement of the safety. That's all I can think of now anyway. Well, there's a hood for the front sight, but I think all sights have the groove in the base for the hood.

I guess I hadn't looked all that deep before.
This...
Mauser .22 Target Rifle
Says '24-'29. Has finger groove. And serial starting with (8) though?
And ES340N changed safety.?.

A lot changed with the addition of the 'N' - which stood for 'Neu' - new model. The Mauser company archivist, Jon Speed, in his book 'Mauser Smallbores - Sporting, Target & Training Rifles' shows a manufacturing sequence of the ES40N, and also a single photo of an early version with a sliding safety, grooved forend, chequered pistol grip with serial #24467, so you are probably correct in all your comments. He further comments that this version was available right up to 1929, when the suffix 'N' model came to the market with a rotating safety and a receiver grooved to take a scope or diopter sight.

Sights on the ES and MS350B were capable of being moved up and down on long grooves machined into the barrel, ostensibly for the purpose of obtaining the best sight picture. However, the letter 'N' under the track just happens to coincide with the sight radius of the Gewehr 98[K]. Lucky guess, eh?

Last Edited:
A lot changed with the addition of the 'N' - which stood for 'Neu' - new model. The Mauser company archivist, Jon Speed, in his book 'Mauser Smallbores - Sporting, Target & Training Rifles' shows a manufacturing sequence of the ES40N, and also a single photo of an early version with a sliding safety, grooved forend, chequered pistol grip with serial #24467, so you are probably correct in all your comments. He further comments that this version was available right up to 1929, when the suffix 'N' model came to the market with a rotating safety and a receiver grooved to take a scope or diopter sight.

Sights on the ES and MS350B were capable of being moved up and down on long grooves machined into the barrel, ostensibly for the purpose of obtaining the best sight picture. However, the letter 'N' under the track just happens to coincide with the sight radius of the Gewehr 98[K]. Lucky guess, eh?

Warning! Danger!!! Input overload.......Temporarily shutting down to process info.

Holy cow. I'll just say that I was curious when I saw the numbers on the barrel of a gun I saw on-line for the sliding sights. What an idea, these guys musta had a lot of time to think this stuff up and do it back then. Non war years, eh? And I'll also say, you sure get these guns in good shape. The guns you get, like this little Mauser of your's, must have been stuffed away for a lot of years. Not being used or abused, to be in such fine looking shape.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top