JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I lucked in to the Joe Poyer definitive book of the Springfield rifle of Model 1873, AKA Trapdoor Springfield. For $10.95, and in Powells Bookstore, of all places. I've been looking at one for years, in the hope of finding a good copy that didn't require me to do some inventive documentation to my checking account to get it past SWMBO.

1887 Swiss Revolver, absolutely mint inside and out, original cleaning kit and issuing registration
book.
IMG_2234.jpg

P - is ammunition for this revolver readily available anywhere? As you may recall, here in yUK we can own ANY obsolete calibre handgun... Of course, unless I lived in Northern Ireland I couldn't actually shoot a revolver like this without going through a bunch of totally unacceptable hoops, but just owning one would be fun.

I like old school pre war High Standard 22 autos. Two late 1930's Model B. If pre war 1st generation Colt Woodsmans are too pricey for you, these High Standards are a more affordable alternative.

IMG_4440 (Large).JPG

Another beautifully-made handgun, based on the 1929 Walther PP, is/was the Smith & Wesson Model 41. I had one with the 6" barrel that shot better than my 1936 Walther Olympia. That and the High Standards above certainly set high standards in manufacture. Mrs tac had a Hammerli 208, and preferred it to the S&W, but it was a close thing. Buying either one today might be a good idea - there won't ever be any more.

The only .22 Rimfire Target Pistol for me is the Smith and Wesson Model 41. I suspect it has to do with the grip angle being the same as the 1911-A1 because those are the two that I shot best with. Of course, it could have something to do with the fact that they were the first Pistols I learned to shoot with. Hopefully, I'm going to be able to get back to the Range before too long and enjoy shooting the Model 41 Collection again!!!:):):)

That reminds me, Liberty safes do black friday stuff, right? I'll have to see if i can use the 6 months free credit on something on sale there next month.

1870 .577 Snider. One of the first cartridge weapons. The "Assault Weapon" of its day. Went from being able to fire 3-4 rounds a minute to 30-40 rounds a minute. Please dont tell Kate Brown that though, I'd like to keep it. $450 at Cabellero's

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

1870 .577 Snider. One of the first cartridge weapons. The "Assault Weapon" of its day. Went from being able to fire 3-4 rounds a minute to 30-40 rounds a minute. Please dont tell Kate Brown that though, I'd like to keep it. $450 at Cabellero's

View attachment 512736 View attachment 512737 View attachment 512738 View attachment 512739

That's a nice rifle ruined - for collection purposes, that is. I'd like to get ahold of the person who buffed it up and shove it up their [censored]

Anyhow, Are you going to shoot it? If so, you'll be needing to talk to Martyn at X-Ring Services in Spokane WA, and watching Rob on Youtube - britishmuzzleloaders - and his first-class,uh, classes, on reloading ammunition for this game-changing breech-loader. I have two of them, both Canadian. The three-bander is a family heirloom that saw action on the last occasion that Canada was invaded by you guys, and then in the US-inspired Fenian Rebellion, and the other one was on duty at 'B' Battery Québec Garrison Artillery. 'A' Battery was based at Old fort Henry in Kingston ON.

Last Edited:
"That's a nice rifle ruined - for collection purposes, that is. I'd like to get ahold of the person who buffed it up and shove it up their [censored]"

I'm hip. But for the price and the history I couldnt resist. I got 250 of the brass 24gauge shotgun cases as well as the Lee 577 die set. Cut em all down to 2" and am working on forming them. My gunsmith sent me a couple hundred slugs for em after I bought the mold set.

"That's a nice rifle ruined - for collection purposes, that is. I'd like to get ahold of the person who buffed it up and shove it up their [censored]"

I'm hip. But for the price and the history I couldnt resist. I got 250 of the brass 24gauge shotgun cases as well as the Lee 577 die set. Cut em all down to 2" and am working on forming them. My gunsmith sent me a couple hundred slugs for em after I bought the mold set.

OK, BUT there is a big but here. ALL Sniders have a bore between .600" and .605". Sniders shoot a SOLID based bullet, somewhat like a Prithchett-style bullet. Your cases will need to be fire-formed ONCE to enable the .600" diameter bullets to be reloaded - thereafter it's just a matter of knocking out the old primers and steel needle tumbling the cases. The Lee die set is NOT needed, since it only reforms the case to that of the original coiled brass dimensions. Fired cased in any Snider are STRAIGHT-sided, and around .600" - .605" neck diameter. PLEASE take a look at reloading the snider Parts 1 and 2 on Youtube by Robin BC.

I'm not going to repeat my advice about who to contact about the mould - that's in my post above, but I can tell you frankly that shooting an undersize bullet in any Snider is going to make a garden hose look like a bench-rest rifle.

upload_2018-10-28_16-13-3.png

Snider short rifle - five groove barrel. Québec Garrison Artillery issue, pre-1867 - no DC in diamond.

upload_2018-10-28_16-16-1.png

and.............................

upload_2018-10-28_16-13-54.png

Snider three-band rifle - three-groove barrel, post 1867 issue, double DC stamps.

upload_2018-10-28_16-16-49.png

Stamp on the other side, too. The '44' shows ownership by the 44th Battalion of Infantry, Welland & Lincoln County Militia of Ontario.

Hard to Make out from your pictures there. Does either or both of yours have the crown behind the hammer pivot area? I have yet to see another that only bears the "LSA" logo in that area. Additionally my fired brass measures exactly .600 at the neck (OD) and .650 (OD) above the rim at the base. Is there something wrong with mine?

Like this?

upload_2018-10-28_19-8-26.png

If your cases already measure .600" then you are good to go, but if your .577" bullets, actually measuring .575" are Minié style, then they are only of use for melting down. The Snider doesn't shoot any kind of a Minié bullet, it that's what you have. LSA, BTW, stands for London Small Arms Co. Ltd., a quality London Gun maker in the era of the Volunteer rifle and cavalry companies, battalions and even regiments. They were not part of the Army, per se, but were, as the name implies raised by the local landed gentry to aid the full-time army in the event of national need - Napoleon III was making invvasive noises in the post-Crimean War years, y'see. Many volunteers bought their own rifles from the quality makers, and eventually got together at Wimbledon Common in SW London, to hold competitions. This led, inveitably, to the founding of the National Rifle Association...

So your Snider was made from the lock of a high quality P53 rifle or carbine - it is not possible to say which. As the lock for your rifle was NOT made for the Crown, it does not have the crown on it. It was never crown property, being entirely civilian.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top