JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just this pair -
upload_2018-7-28_20-39-37.png

and the dagger...

upload_2018-7-28_20-41-34.png

...and that's all she wrote...................... :/

tac, aka Flarp

9455B620-9BC6-4839-9A9C-B332B059C328.jpeg 0126E396-1315-4305-8CFF-1BE02E8BA984.jpeg 6476F1D7-2153-4240-942B-C81BB1B0C5B0.jpeg 07721881-7FDF-491E-A8C1-D469AA3B32DD.jpeg My latest.......that I am very excited about. She was made in 1886, sold new in San Francisco. Sold again in an estate sale to a young newlywed couple on there way to the Alaskan gold fields in San Francisco in 1896. It lived with that family and there offspring in Alaska until around 2015 when they moved back to the lower 48. It was bought from them with letters and stories about the gun spanning 100 years. She is in near perfect condition, LC Smith 32 inch English Damascus barrels in 10 gauge. I hope to be shooting her with all brass black powder shells next week. The gun took several large bear, and all sorts of game for the table in it's life as well as protecting the family from upright walking predators. She is as tight as the day she was built and has the highest grade barrels offered at the time.

Last Edited:
I thought you couldn't use Damascus barrels?

I'll have my own K31 one day.
You can't (or shouldn't) use them with smokeless powder. In the old days, they were the strongest and most expensive barrels available. The old "fluid steel" barrels were quite soft but that also makes them strong. Many 12 gauge Damascus gun's operate quite happily with low base light loaded smokeless ammo but it isn't recommended. There were many cheaply built Damascus barrels that are dangerous. No one makes light load 10 gauge any more........so I will load my own black powder shells. I can't wait to take it to the trap range. These were often used with large balls or buck shot as well making them a very versatile weapon. Expand some of the photos of the barrels on my gun....the pattern is very different and more beautiful than more common Damascus barrels. It took 2 guys days to make one set of quality barrels.......all by hand.

Last Edited:
Just what I'd heard talking to various people, Argonaut covered the details though.

I have been operating under a misapprehension all these years - that is to say, since May of 1962 when I first shot a K31. I believed that the barrels were made in the usual way - deep-drilling of high-chrome content bar steel, then broach rifling. Just like most all rifle barrels since the 1840's.

Notwithstanding, I maintain that you are wrong, Sir. Swiss arms do not have Damascus barrels, nor ever did in the history of the Confederation.

tac

Hahahaha, oh boy, i'm sorry i stirred your half-wit side ;) :D

I was cludgingly referring to both posts prior to mine, the side by side with Damascus barrels and the K31 that i want for my collection :cool:

Hahahaha, oh boy, i'm sorry i stirred your half-wit side ;) :D

I was cludgingly referring to both posts prior to mine, the side by side with Damascus barrels and the K31 that i want for my collection :cool:

Ah, right. Please be advised that my pal Dzhon, who collects hammer shotguns, has a shooting collection of about 300 of 'em, every single one of which has a pair of so-called Damascus barrels. He is also a many times clay shooting champion with his old guns. Carefully inspected and PROOFED 'Damascus' or stub-twist barrels can be completely safe. Remember, please, that we are not talking about $10 Sears Roebuck 'Hulland & Hulland' or 'Porker' makes, here, but prestigious English guns from the likes of Boss, Wm Evans and so on.

tac aka Flarp the Younger

Not only a C&R, but a truly unique firearm - my 1910 BSA .22cal Model 2 takedown - by Alexander Martin of Glasgow -

upload_2018-7-30_16-39-7.png

More pics if anybody is interested, otherwise I'm going back to refurbishing twenty tables from our local Sports & Social Club...

tac

Last Edited:
Not only a C&R, but a truly unique firearm - my 1910 BSA .22cal Model 2 takedown - by Alexander Martin of Glasgow -

View attachment 483306

More pics if anybody is interested, otherwise I'm going back to refurbishing twenty tables from our local Sports & Social Club...

tac

One of my favorite parts of the old English gunmakers are those gorgeous cases with the silk label in the lid.

Early shopping this morning, as soon as I get back I'll post some more pics of it made up on the bench. Mind you, most of you have seen it before. I bought it off a fellow shooter whose eyes were falling apart from macular degeneration. At that time, in the Vintage Arms Assoc of GB, you had to shoot a gun MADE before 1933 - nowadays, so long as the gun is a classic that was designed before 1933, you are good to go. I only had my dad's Walther Sportmodell - a semi-auto AND bolt-action hybrid kind of thing, and it didn't fit the rules of bolt-action, as such. I don't recall posting pics of that one, so that's another gun to look forward to seeing, for those of you who like older guns.

Posted in Tesco's parking lot from my Marionberry

Hokaaaaay. here we are..............

upload_2018-7-31_11-17-38.png
upload_2018-7-31_11-19-24.png
upload_2018-7-31_11-20-42.png

The other little .22 you can see is a 1934 Walther DSM that was bubba'ed back in 1954. It's a good shooter, but virtually worthless, having had all the 'interesting' bits finagled by the bubba. I'll post pics of that if you want. I use it to teach noobs how to shoot with a single-shot bolt-action rifle.

tac, whose alter ego, Flarp, is also Gleep the Mad, originally from the little town of Rudiment OH

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top