JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1909 remington 22 s/l/lr, pre mod 12 CIMG2002.JPG

numbers matching 1891 Argentine Mauser, C block but with a scrubbed crest as is common. Attached to it is an appropriate 1891 brass handled bayonet.
View attachment 360836

Nice one. My own M1891 is a "C"-series too....scrubbed, like yours, but with the short hand-guard and the lack of bolt sleeve flanges and brass-tipped cleaning rod as were standard early in Leowe's early part of the contract.

Best,

Gunnar

Nice one. My own M1891 is a "C"-series too....scrubbed, like yours, but with the short hand-guard and the lack of bolt sleeve flanges and brass-tipped cleaning rod as were standard early in Leowe's early part of the contract.

Best,

Gunnar

Heh, silly me. I looked at it again and it is a D block. I was going off the top of my head and got the block confused with my 1895 Chilean, which is a C block. I also have an A block 1891 Cavalry carbine; it's a little beast.

I know it's Tuesday but I planned for a Mauser Monday family shoot. In Alphabetical order from L to R

1891 Argentine Rifle, 1891 Argentine Carbine, 1908 Brazilian,1895 Chilean,Czech vz98/22,Czech vz24,Turkish M38,Yugoslav M24/47

<broken link removed>

Gun show find. Prepare yourselves...

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

Sig-manufactured, year 1900 (I believe) Swiss Model 1896/11. If it looks good in the pictures, believe me: it looks better in the real world. The condition this is in is unbelievable. It's got a P-mark on it, indicating it was taken into private ownership by whoever it was issued to, and they took very good care of it. The stock has just a handful of little dings, looks like it was refinished professionally, and the condition of the metal is almost pristine, outside of the cocking ring having some wear. I couldn't walk away from it. Just couldn't.

Gun show find. Prepare yourselves...

Sig-manufactured, year 1900 (I believe) Swiss Model 1896/11. If it looks good in the pictures, believe me: it looks better in the real world. The condition this is in is unbelievable. It's got a P-mark on it, indicating it was taken into private ownership by whoever it was issued to, and they took very good care of it. The stock has just a handful of little dings, looks like it was refinished professionally, and the condition of the metal is almost pristine, outside of the cocking ring having some wear. I couldn't walk away from it. Just couldn't.

Sweet. It would cost over 1K to make that rifle today. Another one of those on my short list.

Virtually all the Mark 1's had their cut-off spindle assemblies changed back into standard '03 types from the type compatible with the Pedersen Device so any of the minuscule number of Devices still laying around out there won't fit even in an ex-Mark 1 receiver but I still enjoy the Mark 1's as the history surrounding them is interesting. Only a few of the once circa 65,000 Pedersen Devices produced still exist as far as I know.

Apparently, however, the operational security surrounding the supposedly top-secret Pedersen Device project (as the "Pistol, Caliber .30, Model of 1918") wasn't the best evidently since Army G-2, going into the factory of Rheinische Westfallian Sprengstoff A.G. in Nurnberg, Germany after WWII, found a Pedersen Device with M1903 rifle in among the firm's exhibits and the tag accompanying the items indicated it had been on the grounds since 1920!

The professional and personal history of John Pedersen is also fascinating......developer of several pump-action .22 rifles, nearly one to have his company become a manufacturer of the M1 Carbine, and developer of the world's most notable working delayed-blowback, toggle-lock, rifle.....a variant of which was both shown-off, by John Pedersen himself, and copied by the Japanese.
An engineer for Tokyo Gas & Electric, Masaya Kawamura, (who, incidentally, helped bring together the barrel and bayonet housing elements of the Type 44 Cavalry Carbine) worked out a "kick-up cam" that increased the amount of time the Pedersen Rifle's toggle-lock bolt remained closed and thereby did away with the need for having each cartridge for the gun covered in paraffin wax to aid in extraction.

Dr. Masaya Kawamura had an interesting involvement in arms design, development, and manufacturing and even developed a 20X108mm aerial cannon designed to go into the Kawanishi N1K1 fighter aircraft. Somewhat later the US govt. approached him later on in the Korean War to put the gun into the F86 Sabre Jet. The fighting in Korea ended before Kawamura's aviation gun could be mated with the US jet - the first time the US military would have been armed - officially at least - with a Japanese firearm.

Neither the Pedersen Rifle, its later Tokyo Artillery Arsenal clone, nor the TG&E version worked up by Dr. Kawamura, were ever officially adopted although a few of the Tokyo clones WERE found in a cave on Okinawa by US forces in Summer 1945 so one of Pedersen's guns may well have FINALLY been fired in anger.........although, ironically, at his countrymen.

Gunnar

Last Edited:
Virtually all the Mark 1's had their cut-off spindle assemblies changed back into standard '03 types from the type compatible with the Pedersen Device so any of the minuscule number of Devices still laying around out there won't fit even in an ex-Mark 1 receiver but I still enjoy the Mark 1's as the history surrounding them is interesting. Only a few of the once circa 65,000 Pedersen Devices produced still exist as far as I know.

Apparently, however, the operational security surrounding the supposedly top-secret Pedersen Device project (as the "Pistol, Caliber .30, Model of 1918") wasn't the best evidently since Army G-2, going into the factory of Rheinische Westfallian Sprengstoff A.G. in Nurnberg, Germany after WWII, found a Pedersen Device with M1903 rifle in among the firm's exhibits and the tag accompanying the items indicated it had been on the grounds since 1920!

The professional and personal history of John Pedersen is also fascinating......developer of several pump-action .22 rifles, nearly one to have his company become a manufacturer of the M1 Carbine, and developer of the world's most notable working delayed-blowback, toggle-lock, rifle.....a variant of which was both shown-off, by John Pedersen himself, and copied by the Japanese.
An engineer for Tokyo Gas & Electric, Masaya Kawamura, (who, incidentally, helped bring together the barrel and bayonet housing elements of the Type 44 Cavalry Carbine) worked out a "kick-up cam" that increased the amount of time the Pedersen Rifle's toggle-lock bolt remained close and thereby did away with the need for having each cartridge for the gun covered in paraffin wax to aid in extraction.

Neither the Pedersen Rifle, its later Tokyo Artillery Arsenal clone, nor the TG&E version worked up by Dr. Kawamura, were ever officially adopted although a few of the Tokyo clones WERE found in a cave on Okinawa by US forces in Summer 1945 so one of Pedersen's guns may well have FINALLY been fired in anger.........although, ironically, at his countrymen.

Gunnar
Very nice Mark I, I have one that still has the original Mark I parts, not as pretty as yours though

An engineer for Tokyo Gas & Electric, Masaya Kawamura, (who, incidentally, helped bring together the barrel and bayonet housing elements of the Type 44 Cavalry Carbine) worked out a "kick-up cam" that increased the amount of time the Pedersen Rifle's toggle-lock bolt remained close and thereby did away with the need for having each cartridge for the gun covered in paraffin wax to aid in extraction.

Gunnar

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads