JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of my "smaller families"
019.JPG
2 Yugo's, 2 Chinese, and one "D"

If manufacture in 1947 qualifies then this 1947 Ithaca Model 37, 20 ga, full choke belongs here. My dad gave it to me when I turned 16. He bought it the year I was born. It was, and still sometimes is my dove gun. It points like an extension of my finger.
GunInv2016-Ithaca1.jpg

'kay, Mikej - I thought that my contributions to this thread had just about died away, hence my comment. However, I just found this on YT -

I know that Eric tries to keep things on a level playing by telling things how they are, but telling people how incredibly expensive it is to reload .43 Spanish just ain't so. Brass is readily available from Bertram Brass, and bullets are, too, if are happy to cast. They don't need a gas check, either. Dies might be a problem, but hey, nothing is free these days.

Pal of mine here shoots his long rifle in this calibre, and it's a sweetie, easily holding inside five inches at 100m - plenty good enough for minute of furriner.

tac

'kay, Mikej - I thought that my contributions to this thread had just about died away, hence my comment. However, I just found this on YT -

I know that Eric tries to keep things on a level playing by telling things how they are, but telling people how incredibly expensive it is to reload .43 Spanish just ain't so. Brass is readily available from Bertram Brass, and bullets are, too, if are happy to cast. They don't need a gas check, either. Dies might be a problem, but hey, nothing is free these days.

Pal of mine here shoots his long rifle in this calibre, and it's a sweetie, easily holding inside five inches at 100m - plenty good enough for minute of furriner.

tac

I have seen that video, and forgotten. That is the basic configuration of mine. The barrel is round all the way to the receiver, it has a saddle ring, and the info is on the bottom tang rather than the top. The hammer spur and breach block spur appear to be identical. The best measurement I can get at the muzzle is .451".

Under barrel markings.

301571-163ba6f6a5df30be92933ac633a39384.jpg

301572-6ec9478ed63411966c7e16d54aa3bc48.jpg

301573-6b0e1e3b5c6eaf53ca1c891948fcfae4.jpg

Yup, good Belgian marks, them. ELG over star says between 1846 and 1891, when Belgian proof was changed to show conformity with the newly-introduced German Proof Acts of 1891/2.

The mark under the ELG* - the one that looks like a rocket, is the Perron, a famous Liége landmark column. The AE is the inspector stamp, cunningly combined with the star in the ELG.

.451"?

It's ~11mm - You have a made conversion for Les Frogs.

tac

Could the .451 be the depth of the lands? I can also get a .443" depending on the position of the caliper.

i would tend to believe the bore is an original, unless it was common to change them pre 1950?

Could the .451 be the depth of the lands? I can also get a .443" depending on the position of the caliper.

i would tend to believe the bore is an original, unless it was common to change them pre 1950?

You mean the depth of the grooves, Sir. This conversion was carried out in Belgium to 11mm Spanish - as I noted above, that is as near as dammit to .451".

tac

From top to bottom:

1884 trapdoor Springfield made in 1890
1916 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*, used by the Aussies as a cadet rifle, still has the original barrel with a shiny bore.
Winchester model 12 from 1942, my regular trap and bird gun still
1942 m91/30
Marlin 336 from 1954 iirc
Colt 1903 from 1921.

IMG_20170403_210133097.jpg

Last Edited:
DSC_0206.JPG

Heres a project I did over the last year. It was a non matched Norinco missing parts so had some fun lots of mods done to it. The cammo and pattern I made myself.
It shoots well and works flawless put about hmm if I recall 120 hours into it to get it just right including the barrel.
Some specs. 1967 Norinco, bolt mod and texas firearms ak-style mag release. Barrel to 16.5" polished and crowned lightly. The Bolt has been polished well, put a Yugo-AK forefgrip. The stock channel was smoothed out and trigger work done. Side rail attached for fun and a flashlight to go full Bubba if needed. the rifle will hold 30rds and drums and still clear the foregrip. Of course then blued the cover and rest of rifle. The idea I was going for was a WW2 style trench gun look means slick and easy to handle. The Mag release does work well on the stock 10rds and goes the direction of the mag making it a one hand release.

:D

One of my "smaller families"
View attachment 353451
2 Yugo's, 2 Chinese, and one "D"

Ditchtiger,

I have to get some imagery of my SKS collection up here soon too. I have one Type 56 Chinese Arsenal 0144 1981 production "Gong-An" or Public Security Bureau-marked, one Albanian Model 561, one Soviet SKS-45 1953 re-arsenaled Tula, one Yugo M59/66, and one Romo Model 56. I shall be posting them in the next while.

Last Edited:
Next up, however, is a rifle incorporating the same tilting-bolt design of locking as the SKS, SVT's, and SAFN-49/FAL rifles - Messrs. Tokarev, Simonov, and Dieudonne Saive were all, without necessarily knowing it at the time, reading from each other's play-book - but using a direct gas impingement form of operation in lieu of the above piston designs.

This would be the French FSA Mle MAS 49-56. Mine is a "G"-series prefixed late 1959 or early 1960-production example and I have the proprietary Model 49-56 bayonet with scabbard, as well as the -not shown in this picture - Mle 1953 APX L806 ("L" for "Lunette de tir" or "shooting scope," "telescopic sight") with cleaning brush, lens covers, manual, and case and the night sights too. This last accessory being a fortunate Gunboards.com Trader "catch" from Buddy Hinton - American French rifle and pistol collector extraordinaire and founder of the "Sturmgewehr" web pages. The gun was re-arsenaled at the "ERM" or Regional Armory and Remount Depot of Poitiers in 1966.

A nice addition to my French collection - so far I am only missing.....well quite a few...including an M1866 Chassepot, an M1866/74...and 74/80...and 74/80/14, an M1878 and M1884 and M1885 French Navy and Army Kropatschek, an M1886/93 "Lebel,' an M1890 Musqueton d'artillerie Berthier, an M1902 "Indochinoise" Berithier, an M1907 Berthier "Senegalaise," an M1907-15, an RSC M1917, an A6 Meunier, an M1907-15 M.34, and a MAS 36 CR 39 and LG 48. The few other ones I've got covered. Still looking for a MAS 44 and 49 to match my MAS 49-56 though. One day maybe.

Anyway, I feel happy to have this one with most of its accoutrements.

fsa49-56.jpg fas4956.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews