JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 350546 View attachment 350547 I pulled the barrel and from what I could find it has Birmingham proof marks.

Yup, narrows it down to pre-1913, as if we didn't know that already. The '10', as Andy suggests, is the gauge/bore reference - about .60". B[sceptres]C over P the breech is definitive BP Proof, matched by V in sceptres for 'view' - posh for inspection.

I'm afraid that the other marks are from a pipe wrench or knurled vice jaws. Not pretty, and only removable by taking down metal until they are gone. I'd leave 'em alone.

I'll let you decide whether or not to shoot it...

Might be good, since there does not appear to be anything visibly amiss with the barrel, but.......................it's 150 years old.

Odd to see a shotgun that is anything other than round, as too.

tac

IMG_0963.JPG This is all I know about Russian influence

W.Richards may have made the lock, but who made the rest? ALL Belgian-made firearms from 1810 on were proofed by law, usually in the main town associated then, and now, with gunmaking - Liége.

As a result, they are copiously stamped with numerous proof marks -

View attachment 349232

As a percussion gun that does not, from the one pic you have provided, seem to have been converted from flint, it may therefore be post-1850 and is very reminiscent of a Hawken-style arm rather than anything British. The gun I showed you belonging to John IS a British style gun, with its splinter forend and style. The other oddness is what seems to be dark iron furniture - NOT English at all. Every English-made lockplate [and furniture] I've ever seen is bright, unless, of course, it's brass, in which case it's, uh, brass.

More pics needed, please.

tac

PS - can't quite make out the form of the barrel - is it round or octagonal? Round = shotgun for sure and octagonal = [99% of the time] rifled.
@Mikej here's your L E G [Star] proof mark!

Hey, thanks!....I've read this whole thread, no wonder that mark looked familiar. And I believe the other "View Mark" is also there. Guessing that should mean manufacture in the USA and sold to Belgium where the stamped it also?
And then maybe sold somewhere else. Those proof marks just rang a bell with me when I saw them.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The barrel was MADE and proofed in Belgium.

The barrel, and half a million others, went to England, where, in accordance with the Proof Laws there [from 1834, it was RE-reproofed before it could be sold in the Birmingham Proof House, a place that you can visit and see it all happening today, especially with US-made firearms that are not proofed to CIP standards.

THEN it was taken to the US of A, and came into possession of the relative.

tac

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The barrel was MADE and proofed in Belgium.

The barrel, and half a million others, went to England, where, in accordance with the Proof Laws there [from 1834, it was RE-reproofed before it could be sold in the Birmingham Proof House, a place that you can visit and see it all happening today, especially with US-made firearms that are not proofed to CIP standards.

THEN it was taken to the US of A, and came into possession of the relative.

tac

I know how Remington was late to the Civil war show and to stay in business sold rifles to other countries. At least that how i came to understand it. Are you saying Belgium was given rights to manufacture for Remington? Or that Remington needed Belgium to manufacture barrels for them?

I have to plead ignorance to your question, Sir, since the subject of my comments is the gun that appears in post #243. AFAIR there has been no mention of Remington anywhere so far, unless I've had one of my black-outs.

I can answer your question in general, however, in the affirmative. Remington did indeed sell manufacturing rights to three makers here in Scandinavia -
Sweden and Norway (at that time in a union, the United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway) adopted the rifle in 1867, being among the very first nations to adopt the Remington rolling block as their standard military rifle, and large numbers of Remington rolling block rifles and carbines were produced under license in Sweden and Norway. Around 250,000 military rifles and carbines and 85,000 civilian rifles in Sweden, were produced byCarl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori (a government arsenal) and Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag, and about 53,000 military rifles in Norway by Kongsberg Vaapenfabrik.

tac

Last Edited:
I have to plead ignorance to your question, Sir, since the subject of my comments is the gun that appears in post #243. AFAIR there has been no mention of Remington anywhere so far, unless I've had one of my black-outs.

tac

LOL...somehow I got it in my head that you knew what ZigZagZeke and I were talking about! :D

I have an old Remington Rolling Block with a 1868 patent date on it.

That's ELG * - Épreuve Liége - Liége Proof House.

Prolly a rip-off by them pesky Belgiques, but I'd like to see the rest of the gun, please.

If I tell you that they made 'Hulland & Hulland' shotguns, marked revolvers 'suitable for SMITH & WESSON cartridges' ....

BTW, I just found this on the Remingtoncollectors site

Re: Remington Rolling Block Info
Post by tjack » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:43 am

Your rifle has a Belgian made barrel. I am assuming that the action was made by Remington (it would be marked on the top tang unless the markings were removed if it was refinished). The lower tang is the same length as the upper tang but I would suspect that the #'s don't match on the left side of both tangs. IF the breech block has small "wings" on either side of the face instead of being flat I would guess that your rifle started out as a .58 cal. "transformed" rifle. They were sold around the world in the late 1800's but those sold to France for use during the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871) were later made into more "modern" calibers by rebarreling in Belgium to 11mm Spanish (the 10.6 marking on the bottom of the barrel). The original transformed rifles had a lower tang longer than the upper tang. It was simple to swap out trigger guard assemblies of Rolling Blocks because of parts interchangeability. However, this would require the use of a more "modern" butt stock made for equal tangs. It is fairly common to see Rolling blocks that have non matching #'s on the tang sides. The markings on the bottom of the barrel are Belgian proof and inspection/inspector markings.

I hope this is not unhelpful.

tac

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR