Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

We have a new member

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by caliber bob, Nov 13, 2008.

1. caliber bob

caliber bob Yamhill County, OR. Member

Hey I forgot to mention. There is a lady at work who just joined (but she said it isn't working). She says she is afraid of guns, but she keeps on talking about wanting a little pistol by her bedside. So, what I am trying to say is, I am enlightening this friend of mine to realize that guns are not the evil thing that is destroying society. I am going to take her and a couple of other people from work shooting and then possibly shopping for this evil toy. One more for the good side guys:thumbup:

2. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

take her shooting...

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

just dont take her shooting with us.... :D

4. caliber bob

Why not. :huh:

5. PhysicsGuy

people unloading black rifles tend to scare new shooters :devil:

well if she needs some help deciding on a gun, tell her not to be afraid to ask us for advice.

6. caliber bob

Absolutely. The only other problem she has, is that she does not understand gun prices. I told her she could probably find a cheap little snub-nose Taurus .38spcl for around $250-$300 and she just about choked.

7. PhysicsGuy

Yeah most people don't understand the cost, but its the cost of possibly saving your life. I picked up a taurus 605 from someone on here yesterday (.357/.37 2"), can't wait to shoot it.

My 627 is just great, I wouldnt go any cheaper than taurus in revolvers, since pretty much the only thing cheaper is charter arms, and they are about 10 steps down in quality. But they are still a good value and better to have than nothing.

8. caliber bob

Agreed, and Taurus' quality has improved a lot in the last few years. Speaking of taurus, I had posted a thread about which type of 1911 to get, would the Taurus PT1911 be a good choice. I only ask, because I have a small collection of them. . . oops, I mean HAD!!!

9. m'kay13

m'kay13 Boardman, OR Member

S&W model 10

I saw one yesterday for less than a new Taurus.

(And I like Taurus. Well, I own one.)

10. PhysicsGuy

where did this happen to be, philomath?

11. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

The Taurus 1911 is overpriced by a good $100-150. While it has most of the bells and whistles, the fit and finish are garbage. What exactly are you looking for in a 1911? If you want a good entry level pistol with a beavertail and some other goodies, look into the Rock Island Armory tactical. They used to be able to be had for around $400. If you're on Glocktalk, I know a member on there that has 40+ 1911s, everything from a basic RIA no frills, to a Ted Yost full custom built on a 70 series Colt.

12. caliber bob

I own four:D FORD TAURUS:paranoid:

13. caliber bob

Good info to have. I am trying to get Rollinco's, but he is going to hold onto his, and I can't blame him. I have a couple of metal frame 9mm's and the feel of a frame like that is simply wonderful. I truly understand why you guys get them.

BJ

14. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Great job man, tell her to post an introduction :D

15. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

That would have been me.... I miss it already. If I was not trying to scrape up money to buy the Wife a B-day present and me a new Dan Wesson 10mm I would have kept it.

My wife is the same way deathly afraid of guns and can not convince her to shoot one, Yes but its only been 17 years.... I think I am beginning to wear her down.

16. sweetbeard

DW 10mm hey we can be twinsys...

Can I come over to your house and dual wield :thumbup:

17. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Lol :laugh:

Morning Mr. Jon

18. AndyH

That 10MM you picked up is so damn sexy..... I

19. sweetbeard

Well if you ever want to shoot it before you get yours let me know.. Trigger is wicked sick

morning joey

20. AndyH

Nice, I may just take you up on that.