JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Then there is this little beasty! my First car, a 1969 Alfa Romeo GTV and a real hoot to play with! This thing has gotten me in so much trouble so many times! It was basically just a neat little car and it was cheap when I got it! Now, even stock, its worth a whole bunch, far more then I would ever have imagined!
No, it's not stock!

View attachment 661104

View attachment 661108View attachment 661108View attachment 661109
Yup, it's got a pure bred Alfa Rome V8 from a wrecked 74 Montreal! Stock is a 2.7L and it's been bored and stroked out to 4.3L and makes 425 HP and revs to 9000! It was built to replicate the 1968 Tipo 33 Stradale coupe, uses most of the internals but is not injected!
Fast is an understatement, it hits like its turbo charged and will smoke a lot of serious American Iron!
Yes, I still own it too! I got a problem, I like cool cars!

What that thing weigh? Like 2,800lbs?
It's got to fly

Oh boy, another basket case, ground-up restoration.

For some people, the project is the goal. Not a finished product, but the challenge of the thing. I'm not in this group.

Yes, this absolutely happens. My dad was an old car guy nearly all his life, infancy doesn't count. While he was alive, I've been through many projects with him and more than a few of my own. Some of the projects he bought were cases that other "enthusiasts" had given up on. For various reasons. Lack of money being number one, but loss of storage space, loss of ambition, loss of interest, spousal disapproval. the list goes on.

One of my favorite stories from my dad's experiences. About 1965, he was looking around for a 1936 Ford convertible sedan. What he eventually found was a 1936 Ford club convertible. This was a fixed windshield two door convertible, they came in two ways, with a narrow rear seat and a luggage compartment; or without a back seat and with a rumble seat in place of a luggage compartment.

He found this car for sale, partially restored, in a Los Angeles suburb. The current owner was a middle-aged guy who'd owned one of these in his youth. The familiar nostalgia story which is behind so many old car restoration tales. He had found it unrestored, abandoned and rusty with a peach tree growing up through the floor boards in Fresno, Calif. He'd done most of the body work, all of the mechanical work, but when it came to soft trim and final paint, he gave up. His words were, "I became disenchanted with it." Yes, the right word for this syndrome is, disenchantment.

When you start from a bare body, there is a lot of work and lots of parts needed before the final product rolls out. Oh, and usually no small amount of money.

Good luck, hope it works out
I get the project being the goal, not the finished item. Had an uncle who built a sailboat by hand in his backyard. If I said it took 10-15 years I might be low. By the end squirrels would come and sit in his lap or on his shoulders while he worked. Had to be craned over his house and moved a couple of miles to the water. Sweated every board on it. Good luck with the car. Great year for Mustangs!

I was over to my neighbors house yesterday and he had his Mustang in his workshop trying to figure out why the door windows wouldn't roll all the way up.
Seems that the end of window seal attachment pins had popped loose from the grommet holes and were catching the window tracks as they roll up.
He said that Chevy uses little screws to prevent this, but Ford doesn't. He was cussing up a storm, mostly blaming Lee Iacocca and his cheap production short cuts.

Good luck on your build! These old vehicles are pretty simple mechanically... they just take time!

Here is my 1965 Chevy K20 longbed. I dropped a GM V8 350 and Turbo 400 transmission in her. I haven't seen another '65 4x4 out there.... A6106216-A8E4-4AC9-8AE9-AD58894321CD.jpeg

Good luck on your build! These old vehicles are pretty simple mechanically... they just take time!

Here is my 1965 Chevy K20 longbed. I dropped a GM V8 350 and Turbo 400 transmission in her. I haven't seen another '65 4x4 out there....View attachment 661154

to be truthful, I have not really touched one mechanically sense 1983. That's when I sold my 65 coupe which was in about the same condition as this one but had the running gear installed.

My mustang sat for 25 years the way you (Caveman) have it with nothing more than the (likely) look of disdain from my mother for taking up all the space. Love the pics... thanks guys! Too much on the plate to touch it not but I finished the undercarriage and suspension and towed it out here from the midwest. That should help the process (and save mom some space).

He was cussing up a storm, mostly blaming Lee Iacocca and his cheap production short cuts.

Lee wanted the Mustang to market fast, and the first ones to roll off were the 64 1/2 Mustangs. My youngest son bought one for $ 500, six cylinder car with the truck floor being the top of the gas tank. The car was cobbled together with parts from Falcons, pickups and all over the production line and was really a poorly built car, and it had one of the 170 cid line sixes and 3 on the floor. That 170 barely could get the car up to 70 miles per hour and the damn thing felt like it was shaking apart.

He worked on it for a year or so, drove it a little and left if parked in my shop when he signed up for the Marine Corps. I told him it was going out on the back lot boneyard with the rest of worn out equipment we had, and I was not doing a thing to that POS. He made a few calls and some guy offered him $ 1,200 for it. We loaded it on the trailer and off it went.

Ford made major improvements in the next production year, but that first model was real crap. I owned several Mustangs, and loved them. I had a 67 coupe, then my absolute favorite a 67 Fastback with 390 and 4 speed. The races, the burnouts, the fold down back seat, that car had it all. Style, looks, speed, what more could a young man want at 18 in 1975. I had a 72 and my last one a 94 GT that I just sold last year.

Thats easy to answer! A CHEVY!:p

I was not terribly brand loyal in those days. I went on a Chevy rip for a while, had a 69 Camaro, 69 El Camino SS, 69 Chevelle SS, 72 Blazer which was basically a Chevy van in 4wd, man the good times in that thing. I also had a 78 Chev 4x4 SWB with a 400 V8. Bought it brand new and dove into the engine as soon as the warranty was off. Had a nice canopy on it, it would tow my 19 foot Seaswirl at 80 mph.

Me and a couple of friends would scour the Nickel Ads every Thursday for a good deal on muscle cars. We had rented a barn to work on them in, and we would put some lipstick on them, fix engine issues and re sell them or end up keeping them. I think we flipped probably 100 muscle cars over 3 years. We would be out at that barn working on them until all hours, , drinking beer, getting loaded and playing rock music real loud. Sometimes we would push all the shop stuff and cars aside, and a friends band would set up and we would have one hell of a party about 3 or 4 times a year.

Where did 35 years go ?

There are a couple of good Mustang groups on Facebook which help me with ideas and inspiration. "Ford Mustangs, First Generation, The early years '64.5, '65, '66" and "Vintage Mustang Restoration Group"
View attachment 660894

My Grandmother drove her off the showroom floor in 1965.

I just reread your post, I don't do bookface.
No problem though I'm sure there are many clubs out there in cyberspace.:)

Yeah baby, it's had some work, bored .30 over flat dished pistons, comes with original heads AND a set of aluminum heads, original intake & a med hi rise intake...:D
It's gonna be a fun (cross my fingers) project after #2 grandchild gets here....:p:D:p:D

Yeah baby, it's had some work, bored .30 over flat dished pistons, comes with original heads AND a set of aluminum heads, original intake & a med hi rise intake...:D
It's gonna be a fun (cross my fingers) project after #2 grandchild gets here....:p:D:p:D
Wai,...........wha............hold on a sec, #2 grandkid on the way......................When was you gonna tell us?
Congratz Grandpa! :D:D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads