JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well it seems that I've been wrangled into a project with my son-in-law. We picked it up yesterday with all the parts, we hope, and she is sitting in her restoration bay.
She is a 65 Mustang fastback shell, originally a six-cylinder automatic car. It comes with a 289 HI-PO motor, bored 30 over 10.5 comp aluminum piston (400 hp) and a rebuilt 4-speed trans. That's about all I know about the motor at this point.
I'm looking forward to this project but I know it's going to take a while to finish because their second baby is due in April.
What fun!!!!

9BB337DB-B64D-4921-9800-179199AEF09C.jpeg

88CF16F4-50CF-4C4B-93A8-6D76E2C9EAF4.jpeg

B89A6A2B-31F2-42EE-A98E-6559F37E0658.jpeg

7AF2C596-F2D5-4E99-9967-9242EE33AD44.jpeg

60BB1240-A3FF-42FB-9AA0-F84735868209.jpeg

As long as it is straight and true, and there isn't any rust, its just a matter of bolting and fitting.

Excellent project to have. Try and remember to keep us updated.

:s0151:

My neighbor has been working on his '67 Fastback for over 14 years. He has repainted it three times, as he's a perfectionist in the highest order.
I would have started driving it years ago, just to enjoy it.

Nice Muskrat, as Chevy lovers cal them. All I can think of is $$$ finding and procuring all of the little parts if you want it to look original. I have been there and done that with a 1960 El Camino. Never did get it finished, but had a lot of fun finding parts. Good luck to you and your son-in-law.

Thanks guys, I'll do my best to keep things updated.;)

My neighbor has been working on his '67 Fastback for over 14 years. He has repainted it three times, as he's a perfectionist in the highest order.

The seller has been at it off and on for 15 years....
He's one of us!!!!o_O

Oh boy, another basket case, ground-up restoration.

For some people, the project is the goal. Not a finished product, but the challenge of the thing. I'm not in this group.

The seller has been at it off and on for 15 years....

Yes, this absolutely happens. My dad was an old car guy nearly all his life, infancy doesn't count. While he was alive, I've been through many projects with him and more than a few of my own. Some of the projects he bought were cases that other "enthusiasts" had given up on. For various reasons. Lack of money being number one, but loss of storage space, loss of ambition, loss of interest, spousal disapproval. the list goes on.

One of my favorite stories from my dad's experiences. About 1965, he was looking around for a 1936 Ford convertible sedan. What he eventually found was a 1936 Ford club convertible. This was a fixed windshield two door convertible, they came in two ways, with a narrow rear seat and a luggage compartment; or without a back seat and with a rumble seat in place of a luggage compartment.

He found this car for sale, partially restored, in a Los Angeles suburb. The current owner was a middle-aged guy who'd owned one of these in his youth. The familiar nostalgia story which is behind so many old car restoration tales. He had found it unrestored, abandoned and rusty with a peach tree growing up through the floor boards in Fresno, Calif. He'd done most of the body work, all of the mechanical work, but when it came to soft trim and final paint, he gave up. His words were, "I became disenchanted with it." Yes, the right word for this syndrome is, disenchantment.

When you start from a bare body, there is a lot of work and lots of parts needed before the final product rolls out. Oh, and usually no small amount of money.

Good luck, hope it works out

Here's my '65 Rambler American 440 hardtop that my daughter was suppose to help me with. She was 15 when we started and at 16 she found that boys were more interesting then dad, so I finished it all by myself.

rambler  ammo .270 001.JPG rambler  ammo .270 004.JPG rambler  ammo .270 002.JPG rambler  ammo .270 006.JPG rambler 1 005.JPG

Last Edited:
I just had to try and find some of the pictures. Looking at that project could cause one to go do not smart things to the budget. Resist mid-life crisis I keep telling myself. Not sure which one I miss most. 65 mustang or 72 Bronco.

20200216_205110.jpg 20200216_204533.jpg

Love the fast back mustangs from that era and often dreamt of restoring one. I also love the old style (66-77) Broncos and had a 72 and a 74. Both were great mostly rust free examples and in great shape. The 74 got the most attention and had a mildly stoked 302 with a np 435 4sp with all new updated running gear. Alas they are both gone. I will see if I can find a pic of the 74, I am not sure I have any pics of the 72. Good stuff !

My Baby right after doing all the body work and having it painted the first time! had only 3300 miles on it when it was wrecked and parked. took me 4 years to get it up and running and back on the road! So far, it now has 29840 original miles on it!

1581917819209.png
1581917978502.png
The Kid who bought it brand new spun it into a ditch back wards and totaled it a few months after he got it, then got shipped off to Nam and didn't come home!
His Dad had collected all the parts, including a rear body section and had parked it along side the house. It sat there until 1984 when a dumb kid named Ura-Ki with a wad of lawn mowing and news paper cash decided he wanted it no matter what! Talked him into selling it to me for $3000 cash! Boy was my Dad Pizzed at me when he came home and found this in the back yard up on blocks and the back end cut off! LOL
Now he smiles every time he goes for a ride in it, that big 440 rips the tires off at will and and makes every one smile when they hear that thumpin camed out big block on headers and flow masters going through the gears!

New cars are cool, but NOTHING will ever compare to a big inch big block pony car and 4 speed!

My Baby right after doing all the body work and having it painted the first time! had only 3300 miles on it when it was wrecked and parked. took me 4 years to get it up and running and back on the road! So far, it now has 29840 original miles on it!

View attachment 660834
View attachment 660835
The Kid who bought it brand new spun it into a ditch back wards and totaled it a few months after he got it, then got shipped off to Nam and didn't come home!
His Dad had collected all the parts, including a rear body section and had parked it along side the house. It sat there until 1984 when a dumb kid named Ura-Ki with a wad of lawn mowing and news paper cash decided he wanted it no matter what! Talked him into selling it to me for $3000 cash! Boy was my Dad Pizzed at me when he came home and found this in the back yard up on blocks and the back end cut off! LOL
Now he smiles every time he goes for a ride in it, that big 440 rips the tires off at will and and makes every one smile when they hear that thumpin camed out big block on headers and flow masters going through the gears!

New cars are cool, but NOTHING will ever compare to a big inch big block pony car and 4 speed!

Rusty that is one sexy ride brother!!!

View attachment 660834
View attachment 660835

We call this murdered out! That's a Bad azzz car brother. Tell ya what, I will give ya $3,001 right now for it! Haha
So far I've stuck with old C-10's and fj40's.
Once I find that deal of a lifetime, I WILL have a 68-70 Charger. Someday

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads