JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Why are you?

• Total voters
I'm kinda disappointed that you didn't add my answer to the poll. :D
I know. I wanted to add more, never added the max before so when I got to it I needed a catch all.

There are so many reasons.

Hello Reno,

I noticed that you did not put up SELF DEFENSE right away on your survey. That was and still is my #1 Reason for owning one gun, three guns and/or several guns as I used to own before my arthritis got worse.

SELF DEFENSE

That is what I would check immediately. That is WHY I got into buying my own guns and learning to shoot other than having and being able to use my late husband's 'house gun' for protection.

The second reason (RKBA) was one that I always believed in long BEFORE I even owned my own guns or even BEFORE I shot a few rounds out of the 'house gun' as a young bride (Nam era.) in Charlie's (Late friend.) privately owned woods just to try it out with my late husband and him.

The Second Amendment. Nothing to add there. It says it perfectly - using the KISS method. KISS = Keep it simple stupid. Old military saying of my late husband's.

I don't care what other people buy or own or shoot in firearms or in firearm acc. parts. It is their business not mine.

I believe if a person, group or government wants to LIMIT or BAN one or more TYPES of Firearms or gun part or gun thing or gun CALIBER or limit ammunition or reloading supplies a person can buy where you MUST present THEIR special ID .gov cards... the anti gun folks will keep on destroying your gun rights and OTHER LIBERTIES just because they can do this!

Even if you don't own specific TYPES of firearms that they want to ban or limit now... sooner or later... sigh... they WILL COME AFTER WHAT YOU OWN EVEN IF YOU THINK THAT IT IS 'SAFE' FOR NOW OR FOREVER.

This is my main rifle now.

CZ 455 Lux - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA

And yes, it is in the 22lr caliber.

I do not hunt. Never did. I like to fish and SWIM. My MT husband hunts and has been into hunting and guns since he was a kid. I go hunting with him sometimes.

I do not reload. Never did. My MT husband has reloaded since the early 70's. I have helped him and friends find specific products. (I only shoot RF now too.)

I do not compete now. My MT husband does not compete now but he did previously for many years.

I shoot far LESS now compared to what I used to shoot but I still keep up my basic skills even with my arthritis and using a cane on and off when needed. I used to be a high volume shooter in CF and RF firearms. RF shooting the MOST in between shooting my former CF firearms so I could afford to shoot as much as I did on an annual basis!

I only shoot RF rifles now and in 22lr. I have considered getting another bolt action rifle in 22wmr or another lever action rifle in 22wmr - kind of like what I used to own.

My MT husband goes to the range in ALL kinds of weather as I used to do back east and out here in Montana. He goes to the range a couple of times per week.

I like to plink but my MAIN PURPOSE in shooting was and STILL is for keeping up my basic skills in self defense issues even if I no longer shoot handguns.

I never owned a shotgun either. I like some pretty, classic, side by side and o/u shotguns in LOOKS a LOT! I think that shotguns are overlooked in some shooting circles even if a person does not hunt.

ADDED MORE: I am not a collector even though I used to own more guns. NO safe queens for me - they get used or they don't get bought. If they don't get used for a time frame due to physical issues or due to some taste changes - they get sold or gifted. I am not knocking collectors but I am stating who I am and that goes for my late husband and my MT husband too.

I am PRO KNIFE OWNERSHIP too. I carry a quality fixed blade knife on a daily basis. Usually a Buck (Idaho) or a Ka-Bar (New York) but I own a few other name brands too.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
I'm here because, after 8 years a member, I'm still trying to get someone to share the location of their super-secret 1000 yd. shooting spot with me (preferably within 2 hours of Springfield). I'll never be able to get into long-range shooting if I can't find a place to do it, and I'm still holding out hope that the folks on this forum really are "all in this together"...

What about because Guns are so dang cool. The thought, design, mechanisms and such.
They are fascinating tools.
eta Self defense, to defend against tyranny, and they are really loud!

Because everyone's safety is their individual responsibility first and foremost. Evil exists in this world, evil people perpetrate it everyday, and the thought process of, 'it will never happen to me,' annually proves to be delusional for the unfortunate many.

Being strong, fast, and smart. Many people who knew me when I first started carrying at 21 genuinely asked me what I had to fear. Their suggestion was, if I couldn't avoid a bad situation, I could out run it, or 'beat it up.' My response was to the effect: "I individually may be formidable" but when I'm with my family, my mom, my sisters, my girlfriend/fiancé/wife" the option of avoidance is preferred, but when not available and the to choice run isn't there because it would involve leaving the more vulnerable behind, any option to 'fight' needs to be for keeps, because there is no acceptable outcome of losing.

Relying on others for protection is what some segments of society suggest as the morally superior method. It hasn't proven to be consistently reliable for the unfortunate many and it seems rather common sense that if individuals considered there own safety more of there own responsibility, our society would generally reduce these evil acts as evil generally respects one method of response, force.

I can read AND comprehend.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

A well trained and equipped body of armed citizens, being necessary to guaranty freedom within the State, the right of the common people to own and carry Guns, shall not be bubblegummed with!

Hello Reno,

I noticed that you did not put up SELF DEFENSE right away on your survey. That was and still is my #1 Reason for owning one gun, three guns and/or several guns as I used to own before my arthritis got worse.

SELF DEFENSE

That is what I would check immediately. That is WHY I got into buying my own guns and learning to shoot other than having and being able to use my late husband's 'house gun' for protection.

The second reason (RKBA) was one that I always believed in long BEFORE I even owned my own guns or even BEFORE I shot a few rounds out of the 'house gun' as a young bride (Nam era.) in Charlie's (Late friend.) privately owned woods just to try it out with my late husband and him.

The Second Amendment. Nothing to add there. It says it perfectly - using the KISS method. KISS = Keep it simple stupid. Old military saying of my late husband's.

I don't care what other people buy or own or shoot in firearms or in firearm acc. parts. It is their business not mine.

I believe if a person, group or government wants to LIMIT or BAN one or more TYPES of Firearms or gun part or gun thing or gun CALIBER or limit ammunition or reloading supplies a person can buy where you MUST present THEIR special ID .gov cards... the anti gun folks will keep on destroying your gun rights and OTHER LIBERTIES just because they can do this!

Even if you don't own specific TYPES of firearms that they want to ban or limit now... sooner or later... sigh... they WILL COME AFTER WHAT YOU OWN EVEN IF YOU THINK THAT IT IS 'SAFE' FOR NOW OR FOREVER.

This is my main rifle now.

And yes, it is in the 22lr caliber.

I do not hunt. Never did. I like to fish and SWIM. My MT husband hunts and has been into hunting and guns since he was a kid. I go hunting with him sometimes.

I do not reload. Never did. My MT husband has reloaded since the early 70's. I have helped him and friends find specific products. (I only shoot RF now too.)

I do not compete now. My MT husband does not compete now but he did previously for many years.

I shoot far LESS now compared to what I used to shoot but I still keep up my basic skills even with my arthritis and using a cane on and off when needed. I used to be a high volume shooter in CF and RF firearms. RF shooting the MOST in between shooting my former CF firearms so I could afford to shoot as much as I did on an annual basis!

I only shoot RF rifles now and in 22lr. I have considered getting another bolt action rifle in 22wmr or another lever action rifle in 22wmr - kind of like what I used to own.

My MT husband goes to the range in ALL kinds of weather as I used to do back east and out here in Montana. He goes to the range a couple of times per week.

I like to plink but my MAIN PURPOSE in shooting was and STILL is for keeping up my basic skills in self defense issues even if I no longer shoot handguns.

I never owned a shotgun either. I like some pretty, classic, side by side and o/u shotguns in LOOKS a LOT! I think that shotguns are overlooked in some shooting circles even if a person does not hunt.

ADDED MORE: I am not a collector even though I used to own more guns. NO safe queens for me - they get used or they don't get bought. If they don't get used for a time frame due to physical issues or due to some taste changes - they get sold or gifted. I am not knocking collectors but I am stating who I am and that goes for my late husband and my MT husband too.

I am PRO KNIFE OWNERSHIP too. I carry a quality fixed blade knife on a daily basis. Usually a Buck (Idaho) or a Ka-Bar (New York) but I own a few other name brands too.

Old Lady Cate

We suffered the AWB in 93 because nobody complained about the class 3 cap in 86.

We are all boot owners as well...

There are plenty of folks who own boots that I have zero respect for and who are horrible human beings.

Sorry, not buying the premise that because someone owns a gun that he or she deserves my respect or should not be held accountable for supporting people and ideals that seek to enslave me and my family and do them harm.

Polarization is happening because more and more people no longer respect freedom and liberty and morality. I've been on gun forums for 20 years and the sea change in values and views espoused by "gun owners" and now accepted by many is truly frightening.

Defense and preparedness would be at the top of the list, but that isn't an option. Other than that recreational shooting and working on projects. I used to hunt, but don't at the present, though I'm sure I will again another day. I wouldn't say collecting is one, at least in the sense many would use the term, but I suppose that would sort of fit too. :)

We are all boot owners as well...

There are plenty of folks who own boots that I have zero respect for and who are horrible human beings.

Sorry, not buying the premise that because someone owns a gun that he or she deserves my respect or should not be held accountable for supporting people and ideals that seek to enslave me and my family and do them harm.

Polarization is happening because more and more people no longer respect freedom and liberty and morality. I've been on gun forums for 20 years and the sea change in values and views espoused by "gun owners" and now accepted by many is truly frightening.

Agreed, there are many who happen to own something they would just as soon happily ban if they could get many of the publics right to ownership banned even including their own.

Plenty of loser news reporters who clearly are opposed to the concept of individual firearm rights as indicated in the bill of rights have gone and tried to "buy an assault rifle" just to show "how easy it is to do"

Ironically some of them have been denied because of priors. Ha!

Another thought that I have long had on firearm ownership is :
Choice...
We have a choice whether or not to own firearms.
No one has said that you must own a firearm...If you don't want to own a gun , then don't...just don't take that choice from me or make my choice for me.

I have chosen to own firearms...the reasons are varied...And to me at least , actually not as important as the fact that I chose to own firearms.
What type of firearms I own ...How I choose to use and store my firearms ...is again a choice that I made...
One that is needed to be used responsibly.

What that means is once again , a choice that I need to make that fits me , my home , my lifestyle...
As a general rule , most folks , tend to know what is best for them... And what works for them...*
It should not be up to someone else , who has no real idea of just what or how things work in another person's home to make or take away a choice....
Andy
* 'Course having the wisdom and willingness to act in one's best interest , is not always easy or done...but I digress...:eek::D

What if you were a soldier and now are a teacher..?
Wait... I know the answer to that one...:D
Andy
83007006-277B-46C2-B970-8C7AC41C9420.jpeg

Well, let's hope we're all gun owners. When I first joined this forum, I asked people about their "handles" (aliases) and got a number of replies that explain they wanted to remain anonymous because they suspected the government and gun-haters were lurking....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top