JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I received an email this morning that they are offering an alternative way to get your Hunter safety during this stay home stay safe order. Thought I'd share the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.

I don't hunt. But my son (I've sent him the link) will probably want to take the on-line course while he's stuck in Yuma, AZ.

Aloha, Mark

I took hunter's safety 24 years ago.

Back then you had to go into the field with a 22 rifle and demonstrate you could properly carry a rifle safely. We even had to purposely fall down a hill to show we could be safe then. We also had to demonstrate shooting proficiency.

They must no longer require these things to pass the class if it's all available online. Too bad, it was good training for a 12 year old. I learned more from the field work than I did sitting in the classroom.

Did anyone else do that in their class?

How long is the training good for? Do I need to take it every year or is it a one and done deal? No interesting in hunting but I assume I'll need a license if I want to go target shooting on WDFW land

How long is the training good for? Do I need to take it every year or is it a one and done deal? No interesting in hunting but I assume I'll need a license if I want to go target shooting on WDFW land
One and done.

Edit - I dont know about Washington law, but in Oregon you don't need a hunting license to be out in the woods with a gun during hunting season.

That said, if you choose to go target shooting way out somewhere in the middle of a hunting season, you might get a few dirty looks from hunters who think you'll scare all the animals away.
Just dont set up your shooting spot near a parked truck with no one inside. They might be hunting nearby. Shooting in the gravel pits, etc wouldn't be considered rude by anyone I think.

Last Edited:
One and done.

Edit - I dont know about Washington law, but in Oregon you don't need a hunting license to be out in the woods with a gun during hunting season.

That said, if you choose to go target shooting way out somewhere in the middle of a hunting season, you might get a few dirty looks from hunters who think you'll scare all the animals away.
Just dont set up your shooting spot near a parked truck with no one inside. They might be hunting nearby. Shooting in the gravel pits, etc wouldn't be considered rude by anyone I think.

In WA, there is a rule about hunting non-big game with a caliber greater than .24 while a big game season is underway and you don't have a valid big game tag. Its a reason I bring a 223 to hunt coyotes if I get a deer and don't feel like going home.

One and done.

Good tip. Hadn't thought about scaring game off.

I bought an older Land Cruiser last year and, to test it out, took it up to a remote pass I found on Google satellite. Found out when I got there that it was the first day of dear season. Game warden stopped me on my way out and asked if I'd tagged anything. He got a good chuckle out of the city boy having no idea it was basically a national holiday. He did compliment my truck though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top