JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I received a notice in the mail that looked very official; font, layout, etc., all screamed governmental bureaucratic BS form. It stated that my side business LLC was up for renewal. That didn't sound right because it should be in early summer, not now. They are also hitting me up for $185, rather than the $100 that Oregon charges me. Skeptical, I logged into the state's site and, sure enough, the side FFL's renewal is not up and they still only charge a C-Note for renewal. I then googled the address on the envelop and their "office" is a UPS store. This stinks to high heavens as a scam.

1. Anyone else receive these for your own business?
  2. Should I place something highly wacky in the return envelop for the giggles? If so, what is your recommendation? :D
Thanks!

I've run into this a couple of times over the years when my business license (I, too, have a small, side business LLC) has come up for renewal.

Never fell for it, but one time I did the research and found out that most of these companies actually DO renew your license with the state - they are acting as an agent for you - which is legal. Their agreement explains that relationship in the fine print and they really do submit the renewal paperwork and the $100 fee. They pocket the $85 (or whatever is left from what you pay them after they send the $100 to the state) for doing the 5 minutes of paperwork, cutting a check and putting a stamp on an envelope.

You can do it yourself, of course, online or by mail, for just the $100 renewal fee.

The direct mail marketing pieces have all of the classic "official" looking graphics and language without actually using any State of Oregon emblems or logos or titles - so they aren't committing fraud.

I think it was just before Oregon Secretary of State Dennis Richardson died last February that I received a letter and email from his office calling out these types of cons. I was glad to see that letter explain to everyone what probably only a few of us actually took the time to find out for ourselves.

Basically these con's are praying on the unknowledgeable. And although it just barely skirts the fringe of legality, I would venture to say that it is morally repugnant and unethical (just my opinion - YMMV).

That was my understanding as well; not a criminal operation, but a bit sleazy too, considering the presentation and timing. I understand some large companies have agents to handle all the local and state regulatory nonsense, but a small outfit like this, why bother. I can I do it online in a few minutes for $100, verses filling out out paperwork, paying an extra $85, and snail mailing it in.

I usually adjust the "nuclear yield" on my wackiness according to if they are legitimate (but annoying) telemarketers, gray area outfits that aren't criminals but deceptive, to outright scammers. The first two shenanigans, the latter unrestrained. I think this one falls into the former category. :s0155:

Yes I've got that one, and one to renew my web domain for me, for much more than the 20 bucks I pay now. Those are legal, the ones I question are the ones representing the governments of other countries wanting me to sell them ammo through a holding company. Ya, thats a big no f'n way.

Yes. Received a 501(c)3 license renewal (???) that looked remarkably official, except that those don't expire.
Received a Trademark expiration notice, 24 months in advance, that looked exactly like USPTO correspondence. Had to read that one 3x before determining it was shady.
Submitted a patent application years ago. After several go-rounds and >$8K in fees, dropped the application. Years later, I see my patent, almost verbatim but with different artwork, with a date after I had started mine. That one seemed just. plain. wrong.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top