JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Guys,
Just looking for a recommendation for a HVAC company in Vancouver. Is One Hour heating and A/C any good?
First hot day of the year and my Heat Pump tripped the breaker and won't reset.
I now realize it may have happened weeks ago but the furnace part keeps working..
Anyway - any local suggestions?
If this is not an appropriate post, just let me know and I will pull it.
Thanks,
Eric
PM's are fine, I have access to a computer all day at work.

Is it a true heat pump? A heat pump is a reverse cycle air conditioner. If your unit (air handler)has a furnace on the bottom and an air conditioner on the top it is not. It sounds like this may be the case, if the furnace part still works. Any unit that picks up a few years will have problems with the compressor getting a little hard to start, the solution may be a "quick start capacitor" this gives the compressor a little jolt to get it running, a common and cheap fix. Speaking of which, if you can access the compressor remove the cover where the electrical connections are on the top or side of it. Because of the condensation on the compressor these connections can corrode and fail.

Always been happy with Blairco. They plumed the attic I finished for hvac and fixed all the problems the previous company had left.

BLAIRCO INCORPORATED – 7609 MacArthur Blvd. Vancouver, WA 98664 – Phone: (360) 695-1476

Is it a true heat pump? A heat pump is a reverse cycle air conditioner. If your unit (air handler)has a furnace on the bottom and an air conditioner on the top it is not. It sounds like this may be the case, if the furnace part still works. Any unit that picks up a few years will have problems with the compressor getting a little hard to start, the solution may be a "quick start capacitor" this gives the compressor a little jolt to get it running, a common and cheap fix. Speaking of which, if you can access the compressor remove the cover where the electrical connections are on the top or side of it. Because of the condensation on the compressor these connections can corrode and fail.

Coop44 is correct, if you are mechanically inclined there are some things you can check/do yourself that can save you some $. Having said that, know your limits and if you do call for service, DO NOT tell them you "googled it"! Your rate will go up! Trust me, i may or may not work in the field.

Lefty.

If only you were in Oregon, I own Sky Heating and AC but we don't do any work in Washington. We are a family owned second generation company with a hard working attitude, we are top rated on Yelp and angieslist.

Portlands Premier HVAC Contractor - Sky Heating & Air Conditioning
Http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1
Sky Heating & AC, Portland OR | Facebook

-Travis

Do a side job. I have friends that do it all the time.

Scott

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

If only you were in Oregon, I own Sky Heating and AC but we don't do any work in Washington. We are a family owned second generation company with a hard working attitude, we are top rated on Yelp and angieslist.

Portlands Premier HVAC Contractor - Sky Heating & Air Conditioning
Http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1
Sky Heating & AC, Portland OR | Facebook

-Travis

Travis, if you have experience with Dectron i may be able to send some business your way. I know them inside and out but do not always have the time to wrench on it myself, i have other fish to fry if you will. I'll PM you my cell #, maybe we can talk about the "Dex" and a few other thing during business hours.

Lefty.

Well, The bid is $985 to replace the 3 ton compressor unit. and new R-22 and filter dryer, whatever that is. the diagnosis is that the Original compressor is shorting to ground.
Is this in the ballpark for a compressor replacement on an Amanna with a rotary type compressor??

I can't speak for having work done, I have been able to handle most of the work myself or with some help on our heat pump. Having said that, this site has been very helpful <broken link removed> I have replaced our fan motor, contacter switch and the capacitor. They might be able to help you out with whether or not that is reasonable. Our contacter switch and the fan motor both caused the circuit to break. If your compressor has failed the other piece does seem like a reasonable item to replace at the same time, as all the gas (R-22) will have to removed from the unit. Good luck.

Well, The bid is $985 to replace the 3 ton compressor unit. and new R-22 and filter dryer, whatever that is. the diagnosis is that the Original compressor is shorting to ground.
Is this in the ballpark for a compressor replacement on an Amanna with a rotary type compressor??

Sounds about right. Once you factor in parts, removing the refrigerant, compressor removal and install, brazing new dryer, pressure testing/evacuating the system, adding the new R-22 (BTW, the price of R-22 has almost tripled over the last year.) and fine tuning the unit to ensure it works properly in heat and cool mode.

I'm sure you and the rest of us would rather be dropping $1K on a new firearm but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Lefty.

Lefty, Thank you for weighing in on the estimate. Its tough, with no point of reference, to gauge the cost of something like this.
I am fortunate as a fellow NWFA member has arranged for his brother to stop by and verify that the compressor is really bad.
And yes, you are correct. I would rather spend the money somewhere else, but in this case I have to decide what to sell; my new-to-me, 1911 Springfield Lightweight Operator or my new FN 45 USG. Both of these have been acquired in the past 4 days....there must be something else in the safe...:(
Thanks to everyone for the input on this situation. This is what makes this forum so great. I have made a LOT of friends through trading guns around and now it's really paying off. Hopefully, I can returns the favors.
Thank you all! Eric.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads