Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Way off Topic! Need a referral to fix a Heat pump

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by guitarguy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. guitarguy

guitarguy Longview, WA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Hi Guys,
    Just looking for a recommendation for a HVAC company in Vancouver. Is One Hour heating and A/C any good?
    First hot day of the year and my Heat Pump tripped the breaker and won't reset.
    I now realize it may have happened weeks ago but the furnace part keeps working..
    Anyway - any local suggestions?
    If this is not an appropriate post, just let me know and I will pull it.
    Thanks,
    Eric
    PM's are fine, I have access to a computer all day at work.

2. speedtriple

speedtriple Vancouver, Washington, United States Member

We have had great luck with One Hour Heating. They did our AC install and have been doing service work. We developed a leak in our system, and they fixed it without any hassles. They also have always shown up right on time, something I really value.

3. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Is it a true heat pump? A heat pump is a reverse cycle air conditioner. If your unit (air handler)has a furnace on the bottom and an air conditioner on the top it is not. It sounds like this may be the case, if the furnace part still works. Any unit that picks up a few years will have problems with the compressor getting a little hard to start, the solution may be a "quick start capacitor" this gives the compressor a little jolt to get it running, a common and cheap fix. Speaking of which, if you can access the compressor remove the cover where the electrical connections are on the top or side of it. Because of the condensation on the compressor these connections can corrode and fail.

pdx lefty and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ReloaderNoob

ReloaderNoob VANCOUVER New Member

Always been happy with Blairco. They plumed the attic I finished for hvac and fixed all the problems the previous company had left.

BLAIRCO INCORPORATED – 7609 MacArthur Blvd. Vancouver, WA 98664 – Phone: (360) 695-1476

5. guitarguy

Coop44, Thank you. I have an air handler in my attic w/ heating coils and a heat pump outside. approx 10 years old

6. guitarguy

Thanks ReloaderNoob, The mess from the original install was surprising, lots of sharp sheet metal pieces everywhere.

7. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

We use Johnsons. They are now called AM/PM. In fact he was just hear today replacing the fan motor on our HVAC. Fast service and fair pricing.

8. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

We used all about air. They had the best google rating. I price shopped three other outfits and AAA had the best price and nice people. We are satisfied.

9. pdx lefty

pdx lefty portland Active Member

Coop44 is correct, if you are mechanically inclined there are some things you can check/do yourself that can save you some $. Having said that, know your limits and if you do call for service, DO NOT tell them you "googled it"! Your rate will go up! Trust me, i may or may not work in the field.

Lefty.

10. guitarguy

Thanks Lefty!

11. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

12. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Do a side job. I have friends that do it all the time.

Scott

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

13. guitarguy

I have a guy coming over tomorrow, I will see what his diagnosis is...

14. pdx lefty

Travis, if you have experience with Dectron i may be able to send some business your way. I know them inside and out but do not always have the time to wrench on it myself, i have other fish to fry if you will. I'll PM you my cell #, maybe we can talk about the "Dex" and a few other thing during business hours.

Lefty.

15. guitarguy

Well, The bid is $985 to replace the 3 ton compressor unit. and new R-22 and filter dryer, whatever that is. the diagnosis is that the Original compressor is shorting to ground.
    Is this in the ballpark for a compressor replacement on an Amanna with a rotary type compressor??

16. kibs45

kibs45 Portland Active Member

I can't speak for having work done, I have been able to handle most of the work myself or with some help on our heat pump. Having said that, this site has been very helpful Arnolds Service Company Incorporated Home Page I have replaced our fan motor, contacter switch and the capacitor. They might be able to help you out with whether or not that is reasonable. Our contacter switch and the fan motor both caused the circuit to break. If your compressor has failed the other piece does seem like a reasonable item to replace at the same time, as all the gas (R-22) will have to removed from the unit. Good luck.

17. pdx lefty

Sounds about right. Once you factor in parts, removing the refrigerant, compressor removal and install, brazing new dryer, pressure testing/evacuating the system, adding the new R-22 (BTW, the price of R-22 has almost tripled over the last year.) and fine tuning the unit to ensure it works properly in heat and cool mode.

I'm sure you and the rest of us would rather be dropping $1K on a new firearm but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Lefty.

18. guitarguy

Lefty, Thank you for weighing in on the estimate. Its tough, with no point of reference, to gauge the cost of something like this.
    I am fortunate as a fellow NWFA member has arranged for his brother to stop by and verify that the compressor is really bad.
    And yes, you are correct. I would rather spend the money somewhere else, but in this case I have to decide what to sell; my new-to-me, 1911 Springfield Lightweight Operator or my new FN 45 USG. Both of these have been acquired in the past 4 days....there must be something else in the safe...:(
    Thanks to everyone for the input on this situation. This is what makes this forum so great. I have made a LOT of friends through trading guns around and now it's really paying off. Hopefully, I can returns the favors.
    Thank you all! Eric.

pdx lefty and (deleted member) like this.