JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get a good waterproof stuff sack and keep everthing you need dry in there and then you can stick it in any bag giveing it water proof capabillitys. Thats what I do. I have a OR(outdoor research) and I stuff it in my NorthFace. Works great.

I would think it would as said above better to compartmentalise your water proofing. That way even if one bag does leak all your stuff is not at risk. If you rely on a single barrier and it fails then all is lost and depending on the situation might sink.

If you have the items that have to stay dry in a half a dozen different bags the water barrier is superior.

i use the discount version of above for our camping/hiking and medical gear (the stuffsack idea): -film canisters, pill bottles, military cases, and ziplock baggies work good for small stuff, trash sacks for big stuff. Most of the waterproof bags i have tried had a weak spot - usually the zippers aren't waterproof (yes, they were cheaper ones lol). If it is going to sit a while maybe toss in a desicant pack - i personally hate sealing up something and coming back to find it mildewed inside a waterproof container LOL.

that reminds me, i need more desicant.

There is always a weak spot but there is ways to go around it. Mine has a draw string with an internal flap to cover the little bit of opening. So I just never stuff it all the way full and roll to top of the bag reall tight and tie it off with the drawstring. Works great.

We use the large MOLLE II Packs.
For the gear we have that must stay dry, we use SealLine MAC SACK's and a SealLine ILBE Dry Sack Bag's which are military issue dry bags.
These bages are made in the USA for the US Marine corps.
Thet are very tough and reliable. I have never had one fail me, and i have been using them for a long time.

The mac sack is a 9 liter dry bag and the ILBE dry bag is 65 liters.

A link to the dry bag
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USMC-MACS-S...226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c00ff70a

A link to the dry bag
SealLine USMC Military ILBE Dry Sack Bag 65L MARPAT Waterproof Sack Seal Line | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you looking for ways to waterproof your pack, or a waterproof pack?

Truly waterproof packs don't exist. Any ruck from any of the quality manufacturers will shed light rain pretty readily, but anything with drawstrings, seams, zippers, tube hole, etc., will never keep a heavy rain out. Fact of the matter is, no pack is waterproof- the best you can do is to waterproof the stuff inside.

They're making pretty lightweight dive bags these days, and the good ol' GI wet-weather sack is fairly light and cheap and durable... but after a LOT of time spent in the stick, and a LOT of time spent trying to reduce weight/bulk, increase usable space, and keep everything dry in our horrible PNW climate, I've switched to individual stuff-sacks wrapped in Forceflex garbage bags. Bone dry, as light as possible, cheap to replace, very useful in a number of applications.

Insert a trash compactor bag into your BOB, GHB or backpack as you see wear replace it and carry a couple extra, been using this method for years and give too many stories to list where it worked, no failures so far,

REI has something called the Duck's Back Rain cover, which will slide over your backpack. There are multiple sizes.
REI Duck's Back Rain Cover - 80 Liters at REI.com

Similar is available on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Gregory Accessories Raincover: Sports & Outdoors

I have a similar cover stuffed in my get-home bag so I can keep the entire contents reasonably dry.

You could also consider this Sealline bag. A former coworker used one for cycling and loved it.
Amazon.com: SealLine Urban Backpack: Sports & Outdoors

Peter

Camo poncho.

Like said above nothing is water proof. I have a nice back packing bag I bought from GI Joes for $150.
First trip out hunting in our lovely weather I found out it was anything but water proof, or water resistant. My stuff was soaked.
Now I keep a camo poncho from walmart in my pack.

Old thread but....

I keep a camo poncho also but my badlands bags have never leaked and I've been soaked to the bone while wearing it.

Maybe I'll have to re spray it with waterproofing at some point but all the zippers are covered and water runs straight off the fabric. Only my gun and gloves get wet normally if I have my hunting gear on that is waterproof.

Badlands have been around, USA made, lifetime no questions asked warranty and they will give you an upgraded version of the pack if they can't fix it back to as new.

Way pricy but Ortlieb makes actual honest to goodness waterproof messenger/pannier bags for cyclists... roll top and vinyl material plus flaps. Heavy as heck though... otherwise, individual garbage bags/stuff sacks for stuff in any of my packs even though the vast majority of my packs have generous flaps

I love a good thread rehash...

My dad was big into white-water rafting, and it ended up being something I did as a kid, If you're worried about rain, trashbags are more than sufficient for all but the hardest of downpours, but are useless for immersion, they always leak, but are lightweight. If you're thinking about immersion, you really need waterproof bags. There are lightweight nylon ones that do work, but they're not perfect, they will keep your gear dry for a few minutes of immersion, but won't keep it dry forever. The heavy weight vinyl/rubber dry bags really are the best solution, the closure on these involves rolling the top of the bag over a few times, and then usually some kind of clasp that holds it closed. These will keep your gear dry for days in the water. The nice thing about these, you can stuff everything in the sack, and then sit on it, while you roll it up, this will push extra air out, and can make bulky items easier to fit in the bag.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top