JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in town,on a water mai. Why would I need to store water?
Come on,I'll always have it right out of the faucet.........Right?
Yeah,until this morning.
Now I got everything I could,ready for winter after I moved in. I insulated the water pipes,got lots of wood stacked up,put plastic over the window,put heat lamps and heat tape on the lines so I didn't have to get under the house while it's cold.(hopefully ever)
Well not water this AM. Everyone else on the block has water but me.Not sure if I'm at the end of the water line or not,but no one else south of me.The rest are to the east of me.Folks across the street get their water from the alley.
And of course the water department is closed till monday,lol.
My neighbor let me fill a couple job sized water coolers so I have about 10 gallons now.
And I do have plenty of snow to melt if I need to.But in a couple days that could be gone
So I went down to the store and bought the 2 55 gal potable water barrels they had. Gotta love the Mormon community for that stuff (75% here)
Moral of the story is,you may or may not have water to your house 24/7. Being in construction and having broke a couple water lines, you would think I would realize this,lol

On the chance you have an underground leak...or they shut you off by mistake....

Call them...(from City of Salmon's website)
The Public Works Department has an employee on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week for emergencies that may occur after regular working hours. Contact the Police Department at 756-8980 and a Public Works Department employee will be dispatched if the situation warrants.

The guy's gonna get paid some O/T ...trust me he's on-call anyways, he won't mind.

Humm,maybe i should. I really want to find out if I need to put a new water lie to the house.
I mean I made a living doing that a few times but the biggest problem here is you want your line 6ft deep. And there is already a berm of just rocks 3/4 of the way around the lot
That and the $400 I'll put out for backhoe rental

I got dibs on a tree root breaking the line somewhere.

Sounds super frustrating! Glad you have close enough neighbors that you at least have some drinking water around.

Makes me think I should buy some more camping water containers when money is flowing more freely here.

Well,or should I say So,since there is no well involved?
Anyway,I have snow melting on the wood stove ,so all is good. The neighbor lent me a water jug so I 3 filled with water.
And the water guy came out to check for me. The meter was frozen (good news or bad?) so maybe I won't have to put a new line in yet.
I could run a hose from my friends house in back if I really care that much. Or get a key and just take a shower over there since he's in nevada
No water isn't that much of a problem. It's the money fixing it

Well,or should I say So,since there is no well involved?
Anyway,I have snow melting on the wood stove ,so all is good. The neighbor lent me a water jug so I 3 filled with water.
And the water guy came out to check for me. The meter was frozen (good news or bad?) so maybe I won't have to put a new line in yet.
I could run a hose from my friends house in back if I really care that much. Or get a key and just take a shower over there since he's in nevada
No water isn't that much of a problem. It's the money fixing it

Most water companies: The water meter is the property of the water company. It is their cost to fix. Since it is frozen, it is toast and will have to be replaced. The water guy should of replaced it while he was there.

Time to make a few heated phone calls.

Foreverlost,

Most water companies: The water meter is the property of the water company. It is their cost to fix. Since it is frozen, it is toast and will have to be replaced. The water guy should of replaced it while he was there.

Time to make a few heated phone calls.

Foreverlost,
It's saturday and they have one guy on call. There is always a threat of freezing lines around here cause there can be extended cold. Heck 1979 the had -30 conditions for weeks and the entire water system was frozen. Not exactly the same as in washington or oregon where you are guaranteed water 24/7/365 unless there is
wait for it

natural circumstances,like earth quake,slides,FREEZE,or something beyond their control like construction accidents.
No need to get over heated,and I am good at that,lol. The line in the street may be frozen and will need to be heated to open it up
I could call and complain and they could come back next month to take care of it.
Just a little different attitude over here.You need to understand that weather will take it's toll if it wants to

I want to say,the man reason for the thread was to remind everyone this could be you at any time. Well or no well. Electricity goes out and what good is your well? Unless you have a generator or other power source to pump the water,you are out of water.
There is no need to be out of water. The 2 barrels won't take up much room and will give me a few days of water for everything.
If you have the room put in a 1000 gal tank,and run your everyday water thru it to keep it good. Then something,beyond anyone's control happens and you have water
Heck I'll drop $500 easily on a gun. $1000 isn't unheard of on a whim and I am sure that's low for some.($1900 on 2 guns and $300 on ammo was my latest)
How much of a tank or how many barrels and stands for the barrels could I have bought?
Who was it on here that said 'all the guns and ammo are for naught,with out water' ?
Well she could be DEAD on

Yep, we lost power for the 11th time since Jan1 yesterday when PP&L (partial power and light) had a neutral blow open on our remote leg.
Man, I love a good gen set.
We always have at least 100 gallons on hand as a backup to the well and an excellent spring to draw from if need be, but your reading my shallow mind mjbskwim, I'm going to flip the $ on a 1000 gallon back up tank this year and I should have already done so.

One thing to consider Mike is the sub freezing weather you face. Perhaps an enclosed space that can be heated to avoid freezing? I'd hate to see it all for naught.
Good luck Sir. And here's to hoping for a warm front to head your way soon.

I have a genset if the power goes out, but I need to test it with the breaker box to see if that powers the well - not sure.

Power goes out here several times a year, but so far it is only for a few hours. Unless there is a widespread outage - usually due to a windstorm - then they are pretty quick to repair it. If there is a big windstorm and everybody loses power, then we will be the last to see repairs and it could be days to weeks.

Worst case - I could go down to the year round creek and draw water from it. I would have to filter it though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top