JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WASHINGTON — US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned Thursday of the risk of terrorism, political instability and conflict over competition for scarce water supplies worldwide over the next few decades.

Clinton highlighted such risks that were outlined in the unclassified version of a report on global water security -- which she had requested -- that was released Thursday by the National Intelligence Council

<broken link removed>

Wasn't that the theme of the last James Bond movie?

It's already happening in Western China, where several of the world's most important rivers are being dammed at the foot of the Himalayas before they take their water out of China. The huge Beijing aqueduct is nearing completion, so that drawdown of the Yellow River will have to be made up from somewhere else. And all the Indians and Vietnamese can do is beg for mercy.

Chinese dams may dry up the lifeline of North East : Neighbours News - India Today
"China

I spoke with a isreally person years ago and he told me there would be wars over water. Comming from oregon I shrugged it off. He also said the difference between us is "You think your free and we know were not".

Besides rapid consumption of underground acquifers, pollution of surface water, blocking of water with dams thus depriving neighbors downstream etc....we must consider the possibility of a terrorist attack that could contaminate water supplies. Truckloads of chems crashed into water sources or nuclear weapon detonations irradiating prime sources. WE could find ourselves in the unfortunate position of being at the mercy of our Canadian cousins up north for new supplies. Water and electricity are two things that could be targeted to really raise havoc in our country and kill large numbers of citizens disproprortionately to the level of effort required.I think these terrorists that like to blow down a couple of buildings from time to time are fortunately thinking small for the instant gratification/glory of a gory kill..... infrastructure attacks could kill more in the long run. I hope they dont figure this out anytime soon.

THank god I live in Oregon.... in general I feel much safer (Water wise anyway) than people in Arizona or N MExico for example.

Global intelligence community water security assessment
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/327371-report-warns-that-water-shortages-could-threaten.html
During the next 10 years, many countries important to the United States will
experience water problems—shortages, poor water quality, or floods—that will risk instability and
state failure, increase regional tensions, and distract them from working with the United States on
important US policy objectives. Between now and 2040, fresh water availability will not keep up
with demand absent more effective management of water resources. Water problems will hinder
the ability of key countries to produce food and generate energy, posing a risk to global food
markets and hobbling economic growth. As a result of demographic and economic development
pressures, North Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia will face major challenges coping with
water problems.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR