Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Water wars

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by slimer13, Mar 22, 2012.

1. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

WASHINGTON — US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned Thursday of the risk of terrorism, political instability and conflict over competition for scarce water supplies worldwide over the next few decades.

Clinton highlighted such risks that were outlined in the unclassified version of a report on global water security -- which she had requested -- that was released Thursday by the National Intelligence Council

AFP: Clinton warns of terrorism, instability over water

2. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the theme of the last James Bond movie?

It's already happening in Western China, where several of the world's most important rivers are being dammed at the foot of the Himalayas before they take their water out of China. The huge Beijing aqueduct is nearing completion, so that drawdown of the Yellow River will have to be made up from somewhere else. And all the Indians and Vietnamese can do is beg for mercy.

Chinese dams may dry up the lifeline of North East : Neighbours News - India Today
    "China

3. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

I spoke with a isreally person years ago and he told me there would be wars over water. Comming from oregon I shrugged it off. He also said the difference between us is "You think your free and we know were not".

4. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

They've been saying this for years - it was a topic when I was in school nearly 20 years ago. At some point, it'll be true.

5. cyborg

cyborg Oregon City Active Member

Besides rapid consumption of underground acquifers, pollution of surface water, blocking of water with dams thus depriving neighbors downstream etc....we must consider the possibility of a terrorist attack that could contaminate water supplies. Truckloads of chems crashed into water sources or nuclear weapon detonations irradiating prime sources. WE could find ourselves in the unfortunate position of being at the mercy of our Canadian cousins up north for new supplies. Water and electricity are two things that could be targeted to really raise havoc in our country and kill large numbers of citizens disproprortionately to the level of effort required.I think these terrorists that like to blow down a couple of buildings from time to time are fortunately thinking small for the instant gratification/glory of a gory kill..... infrastructure attacks could kill more in the long run. I hope they dont figure this out anytime soon.

THank god I live in Oregon.... in general I feel much safer (Water wise anyway) than people in Arizona or N MExico for example.

6. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Global intelligence community water security assessment
    https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/327371-report-warns-that-water-shortages-could-threaten.html

7. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Clinton?
    Pot- meet- Kettel