JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone. Im a "bug in" kinda guy. My local area lends itself well to it. There are plentiful water sources nearby (within 100 yards), so im only storing about 30 gals of fresh water at the house. I want to develop a plan for collecting the nearby water and bringing it home in SHTF situations. Can anyone recommend a purification technique or equipment for purifying large quantities of water? Something thats sustainable and not too expensive?

You're talking surface water? Are you taking into consideration bacteriological or nuclear issues? Why not buy a tank or cistern Water Tanks | Water Storage Tanks | Plastic Water Tanks

Then you can treat your water as you use it. Untreated water for plants and gardening, treated for drinking and cooking.

You can use UV, but given SHTF situations where electrical power is unavailable, I would recommend just boiling the water using a propane burner Amazon.com: Bayou Classic KAB4 High Pressure Banjo Cooker: Patio, Lawn & Garden and a 10 gallon Stainless stock pot Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1140 Stainless 10-Gallon Steam Boil Stockpot with Spigot Basket and Vented Lid: Patio, Lawn & Garden, then cool before transferring and storing it short term in 5 gallon bottles Amazon.com: Bluewave BPA Free 5 Gallon Reusable Water Bottle: Sports & Outdoors.

You would run a pipe fro somewhere up stream into your tank or cistern, and an overflow back down stream, somewhere. The tank will fill over time and you will always have a supply of available water right at your bug in site.

I saw a
pot growing operation one time that had three huge shts of visqueen laid out on the ground. All three were laid out so they were on a slight slope. The center line vertically was lower then the edges (so it created a huge funnel shape) at the bottom of the visqueen they went into a 5 gallon bucket laid on its side. At the bottom of the bucket was a 1.5" PVC pipe leading down hill to a series of 50 gallon barrels.

The three collectors collected rain water and as the water collected it slide down the plastic into the 5 gallon bucket collector and then into the feed pipe.

The farmers then used a drip irrigation system to water the plants.

I saw the place after about 20 Sherriff's deputies had spent the better part of two days harvesting the crop. My guess is the huge (maybe 50' x 20' )visqueen tarps helps them spot it from the air.

But I thought it quite ingenious how easy it looked to have been set up. Granted you would have to have the proper slope and having clear open land would be required.

I bought an 1100 gallon tank on sale online, full price delivered $366... they are even plumbed so you can pipe it right into your house. I change it out every once in awhile, and have a gravity flow charcoal filtration system which can produce about 60 gallons a day potable water. I will of course be utilizing rain barrels, condensation rigs, etc... when the taps go dry, but it's nice having that cushion of 1100 galloons there to start. I would have to assert that $366 is an inexpensive prep for something as vital as water.
You're talking surface water? Are you taking into consideration bacteriological or nuclear issues? Why not buy a tank or cistern Water Tanks | Water Storage Tanks | Plastic Water Tanks

Then you can treat your water as you use it. Untreated water for plants and gardening, treated for drinking and cooking.

You can use UV, but given SHTF situations where electrical power is unavailable, I would recommend just boiling the water using a propane burner Amazon.com: Bayou Classic KAB4 High Pressure Banjo Cooker: Patio, Lawn & Garden and a 10 gallon Stainless stock pot Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1140 Stainless 10-Gallon Steam Boil Stockpot with Spigot Basket and Vented Lid: Patio, Lawn & Garden, then cool before transferring and storing it short term in 5 gallon bottles Amazon.com: Bluewave BPA Free 5 Gallon Reusable Water Bottle: Sports & Outdoors.

You would run a pipe fro somewhere up stream into your tank or cistern, and an overflow back down stream, somewhere. The tank will fill over time and you will always have a supply of available water right at your bug in site.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top