JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Before the water soluble case lube came on the scene I never, ever needed my RCBS "stuck case remover" tool. In the last couple of years I've used three kinds of case lube and have almost worn out the stinkin tool. Yeah, I've followed the instructions and let the crap dry before running the case into the die.....

Anyone got any favorites, or special secrets they would like to share?

I use the classic lanolin/alcohol mix. Works really well, unfortunately isn't as water based as I would like, I typically run my brass through a wash cycle in a bucket with hot water and laundry soap. Gets most of it off, after tumbling, no trace of the lanolin remains.

What's this water soluble case lube you're using? Most of the books out there talk about using Ivory dish washing liquid, I've never gotten around to trying it, but I have done some experiments with other detergents, and the reality is for the detergent to work as a lube, it must be thinned with water, and remain wet (once the water dries the soap turns to glue).

I use RCBS cased lube it says it's water soluable and with a hot water/dishsoap/little fantastic spray wash and 3-4 hot water rinses. I have been very happy with the resuts

Honady lube sucks.........according to the AR15.com crowd. I have a can but, haven't tried it myself. I have many Dillon cans to use up first (and it works fine).

Anyway.............

If you want to try a DIY lube..............

Materials List
100% pure Liquid Lanolin: Found at health food stores "Home Health" brand
97 - 99% Isopropyl alcohol: Good Neighbor Pharmacy has 99% IPA
Spray bottle capable of holding at least 20 oz of liquid

*Mixing Ratio: 1:8

2oz Liquid Lanolin to 16oz 97% (99% preferred) Isopropyl alcohol

Warm up both the Lanolin and Alcohol in a bath of hot tap water (about 105 - 120 degrees F). When warm, pour out the correct amounts into your spray bottle. Cap the spray bottle and mix well. Viola..........case lube.

Remember to shake the spray bottle again before using.

*Note: ratios of 1:4 and 1:5 have also been recommended, adjust according to your likes.

Aloha, Mark

Been using RCBS case lube for decades. Have never had a case stuck in sizing die. I bought a can of Hornady One shot and it works just fine on my brass for my AR15.
I hear all the BS about this case lube or that case lube not working good ETC.

I would be willing to bet that 99% of stuck cases are operator err.

Of all the case lubes I believe that Imperial Sizing Wax seems to be the cat's meow for sizing brass.

Just my $.02 worth.

DAB

I've had a Dillon 650 since last October. For the progressive, the home made lanolin lube is great. I started off with 4 oz of lanolin to 16 oz of 99% Isopropyl (available at Safeway), but not all the lanolin mixed in. I use the yellow, clear alcohol that sits on top of the lanolin that's not mixed in. I don't shake before pouring in my sprayer. I figure I can add more alcohol later and more lanolin will dissolve into it, extending the lanolin.

I bought a $8 "Misto" sprayer at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Placing the cap on pressurizes the sprayer, and it does a great job of putting out a very fine mist. I use a cardboard box, roll the cases on their sides, mist again, let dry, and then load.

I've loaded 8K rounds and haven't even used 1 oz, so this stuff is very economical.

I still use Redding's Imperial Die wax lube for rifle cases on a single stage press. That old habit is hard to break when it works so well. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top