JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Took the family camping down there a few years ago. Beautiful country. Hope they can work things out.
You should visit there again after I get my cabin up and running on airbnb:)

Bad situation down there. Our community well was closed the weekend before last. As far as I know it is still closed down. I will be bringing extra water with me for this weekends trip to cabin.
Good news, my cabin neighbor informed me yesterday our community well is back up and running. I am bringing extra water with me anyways, in case there are long lines of people trying to catch up.

Edit: I have two 6 gal jugs, two 7 gal jugs, two 5 gal jugs, four 1gal store bought water jugs and 5 quart size water bottles.

I am building a temporary compost toilet too. It will be a trial run to see if my sheet really doesn't stink.

Last trip down I made a shower system from a weed sprayer (new) and a shower sprayer with on/off lever. I was able to get a satisfactory shower done with 1.5gal of water. Probably wouldn't work for long haired hippies.

Last Edited:
-california-l-got-you-to-caliform-dah-dont-6335507.png

Aloha, Mark

Look into the amount of water used for agriculture alone in California. Google how much water is needed for a pound of beef. A gallon of milk.

Look into the amount of water used to grow food to feed food in California, or United States.

Sadly this is never discussed.

Funny when you look into this information, you also find out that a large amount of emissions are produced by agriculture as well. So when the government wants to tax you for fuel use you should smile a bit thinking about how much more this industry pumps out over every single car on earth combined.
Wait until you find out how much water it takes to grow a single almond. Not an almond tree, but a single almond nut.

Wait until you find out how much water it takes to grow a single almond. Not an almond tree, but a single almond nut.
One internet search result says it takes 1.1 gallons of water to grow one almond. Another says 1 to 3 gallons per almond (with shell).

For some people talking about climate change, they should probably start thinking about whether to get almond milk in their next latte.

But if you're an almond farmer, then it could be tricky to transition out of almonds, to something that requires a lot less water but for which there's still demand. Seems like they'd lose a lot of money transitioning out of almonds.

I would think altering weather patterns would affect other areas. Robbing moisture that would have fallen elsewhere.

Really selfish once you think about it as it affects the Whole World.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...at-Drones-blast-clouds-electrical-charge.html

Dubai makes its own RAIN to tackle 122F heat: Drones blast clouds with electrical charge to produce downpours

• The rain is formed using drone technology that gives clouds an electric shock to 'cajole them' into clumping together and producing precipitation
  • The UAE is one of the most arid countries on Earth and the technique helps to increase its meagre annual rainfall
  • Video shows it is working with monsoon-like downpours across the country

You might be able to do that - especially if you have a lot of solar power - but it is very expensive in terms of energy and maintenance.

The rest of your rant?

It is the equivalent of this:

View attachment 260039

Regardless of of why you think California is having problems, so is Oregon, and so is the rest of the USA.

Actually the West is not the rest of the US , but when you populate what is largely desert with millions of people then suck the Colorado river dry you get what you get .

California would never have grown to the size it is now had it not been allowed to use water they didn't own to start with .

I would think altering weather patterns would affect other areas. Robbing moisture that would have fallen elsewhere.

Really selfish once you think about it as it affects the Whole World.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...at-Drones-blast-clouds-electrical-charge.html

Dubai makes its own RAIN to tackle 122F heat: Drones blast clouds with electrical charge to produce downpours

• The rain is formed using drone technology that gives clouds an electric shock to 'cajole them' into clumping together and producing precipitation
  • The UAE is one of the most arid countries on Earth and the technique helps to increase its meagre annual rainfall
  • Video shows it is working with monsoon-like downpours across the country
I find this hard to believe.

If you think there are no gov. regulations in Oregon regarding water resources, go to your nearest river, put a pump in the river and start pumping water out of it to irrigate your crops. Sooner or later somebody from the Water Resources dept. will be around to tell you to stop, and you will probably be slapped with a nice big fine to boot.
That would be true for the average citizen. However, there are pot plantations springing up all over the state doing exactly that, and the state seems to be turning a blind eye. Don't take my word for it. Take a drive around some time.

I will restate, there are no natural bodies of water in socal, what rivers there are, are seasonal. It was always desert there.
Not true. I grew up a few blocks from a small lake (more like a pond, actually) fed by a natural artesian spring which was the site of the first house built in California, now a state park. Never say "none."

"Los Encinos State Historic Park, just northeast of the intersection of Balboa and Ventura Boulevards in Encino, California, was the hub of Rancho El Encino. Located in the San Fernando Valley, this California rancho includes the original eight-room de la Ossa Adobe, the two-story limestone Garnier building, a blacksmith shop, a natural spring, and a pond.

garnierbuilding.jpg
The natural spring provided a year-round source of water for the ancient, autonomous, village of Siutcanga."

The Los Angeles River, which flows year round, was also a short distance from my home.

Last Edited:
If you think there are no gov. regulations in Oregon regarding water resources, go to your nearest river, put a pump in the river and start pumping water out of it to irrigate your crops. Sooner or later somebody from the Water Resources dept. will be around to tell you to stop, and you will probably be slapped with a nice big fine to boot.

Drill a well - you will need a permit - they will give it to you if it is for a residence and you are outside of a municipal water district, otherwise forget it. Drill a well for agricultural purposes - crops and/or livestock, be prepared to be on a waiting list for that permit, and be prepared to have your flow limited because there are thousands of others there before you with a pre-existing claim to the water in the aquifers.

We share these aquifers - the water you remove from a well pulls down the water level in other wells and vice versa.
That would be true for the average citizen. However, there are pot plantations springing up all over the state doing exactly that, and the state seems to be turning a blind eye. Don't take my word for it. Take a drive around some time.
As an example: Not to long ago Deschutes County residents voted to stop more marijuana grows in the rural section of the county. With that event the growers have moved into areas inside of cities, such as La Pine. The growers do "not" have water rights and are selling their crops to others. Deschutes County & La Pine know about the lack of water rights and refuse to stop the growers. Deschutes County & La Pine want the tax $$$$$. Looking west of Huntington Rd, along & just off of Burgess Rd the grows are like fleas on a dog's back..............no water rights. These grows don't have city water, just wells. Just follow your nose when the bud smells like a skunk. Oregon Water Resource Department has an interactive water rights map. Their software isn't easy to use, but a few minutes clicking the mouse will show where the water rights, if any, are located.

The Mexican boarder along with their corrupt government has moved several thousand miles north. Mexico & the cartel have taken over.

Foreverlost,

What Deschutes County News isn't reporting!!

Much of the tourist economy, etc. depends upon the Deschutes River. Those on this web site, if still able to pry yourself from the keyboard and take a little hike, I have a suggestion. The Headwaters of the Deschutes River is bone dry. Little Lava Lake is the start of the Deschutes River and just down stream is a small body of water referred to as Blue Lagoon. There is a trailhead leading to Blue Lagoon, 1/2 mile easy walk if you don't mind biting insects. The stream (Deschutes River) is bone dry, not even a wet puddle. Only dry stone is to be seen. A person has to travel a mile or two farther down the river to find flowing water. Those that fish might be watching Wickiup or Crane Prairie, but the future looks bleak for anything that needs water. The other small streams which flow into Crane & Wickiup are the same, sad & dry.

Foreverlost,

As an example: Not to long ago Deschutes County residents voted to stop more marijuana grows in the rural section of the county. With that event the growers have moved into areas inside of cities, such as La Pine. The growers do "not" have water rights and are selling their crops to others. Deschutes County & La Pine know about the lack of water rights and refuse to stop the growers. Deschutes County & La Pine want the tax $$$$$. Looking west of Huntington Rd, along & just off of Burgess Rd the grows are like fleas on a dog's back..............no water rights. These grows don't have city water, just wells. Just follow your nose when the bud smells like a skunk. Oregon Water Resource Department has an interactive water rights map. Their software isn't easy to use, but a few minutes clicking the mouse will show where the water rights, if any, are located.

The Mexican boarder along with their corrupt government has moved several thousand miles north. Mexico & the cartel have taken over.

Foreverlost,
It is mostly the state water resources dept that manages water rights, coordinating with the counties. If the farm has a well, then generally they have the water rights that go with that well. Depending on whether the well is permitted for a residence or ag determines how much water they can pull from the well - AFAIK (if my father was still alive, I could ask him, but that isn't the case anymore so I am going by what I recall).

If they are pulling water from the river, then if they don't have water rights, I believe you can report them to the state.

Taken directly from OWRD::::!!!!

"Certain water uses are authorized through Oregon law as "exempt" from the need for a water right. More information about exempt uses is provided below. It is best to coordinate with the Watermaster to make sure the use qualifies for the exemption. Note that like any other crop, the growth/irrigation of cannabis for commercial purposes - whether medical, recreational, or hemp - is not eligible for groundwater exemptions."

In other words, water rights are needed..................and in many areas no longer available.

Not true. I grew up a few blocks from a small lake (more like a pond, actually) fed by a natural artesian spring which was the site of the first house built in California, now a state park. Never say "none."

"Los Encinos State Historic Park, just northeast of the intersection of Balboa and Ventura Boulevards in Encino, California, was the hub of Rancho El Encino. Located in the San Fernando Valley, this California rancho includes the original eight-room de la Ossa Adobe, the two-story limestone Garnier building, a blacksmith shop, a natural spring, and a pond.

View attachment 1003257
The natural spring provided a year-round source of water for the ancient, autonomous, village of Siutcanga."

The Los Angeles River, which flows year round, was also a short distance from my home.

The pond was man made, the LA river is seasonal now, there is a small pond up in the san Gabriel mountains

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top