JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IIRC the guy in "The Big Short" (the guy who made billions in the 2008 blow up), moved into 'trading' water. Whatever that means - rights or whatever. Seems like he may have been onto something.

Wait...what???
We were just told that the glaciers were all melting and we were all supposed to be underwater really, really soon!! :confused:
Good God.... ya just gotta love "experts",

So, I guess now we can expect the Dems to announce their "WET NEW DEAL" ? :s0054:

Not to be a buzz kill...
But you really don't want to know who holds the underlying encumbrances of the majority of all water districts and PUC's up and down the west coast and have for decades. :(

I've been saying for some time now that, among other natural resources, there is a worldwide potable water shortage. The main consumer of water west of the MIssissippi is agriculture, east it is electricity power plants (cooling). Then it is manufacturing.

Just consider this for a moment; agriculture, our food. Much of it comes from California and the southwest, which have had long running droughts and have huge population centers supported by water consumption.

Here in the PNW some regions have plenty of water, others not so much, and some are in a drought. I have a well that taps into a large aquifer. For now clean water (i've had it tested) is not a problem for me - as long as I have electricity - my well is only 120' deep and at 60' the drillers hit water. My neighbors however had to go to 450' plus, and one now has to drop his pump further because the water level has dropped - probably a different aquifer.

After breathable air and keeping warm enough that you don't freeze, water is the most important resource you need to survive.

As with other shortages of natural resources, the cause is the number of humans on this planet. This is only going to get worse due to population growth. Some regions already have reached their peak carrying capacity, especially with regards to potable water - which directly impacts food production. Overall, the world itself is approaching peak carrying capacity.

Most hunters and fishermen understand that a given environment can only support so much wildlife, and that the number of animals and fish grow and decline in cycles, sometimes with severe drops in their population.

The same is true of humans. Granted, we are probably the most adaptable of all animal life on the planet (save maybe insects), but we have our limits too.

Water, along with air and land, is a finite and limited natural resource. Yes, we have a lot of land in the USA, but did you know that less than 17% of that land is arable?

We are already running short on water to support agriculture, so adding more food crops is not the answer. We make up the difference by importing a LOT of food, especially during our off seasons for growing crops.

Population growth is slowing, but won't stop (or be close to stopping) for another 80 years, at which time the world population will be 10-11 billion. Current population is almost 8 billion. Projected peak carry capacity is 9-10 billion people.

We already have regional famines and severe water shortages.

There is little we can do about population growth.

But my advice is to prepare for water and food shortages.

As with other shortages of natural resources, the cause is the number of humans on this planet.

Natural resources, which includes land itself. Competition for resources from ever increasing population demands of humanity is the base cause of nearly every conflict on the planet.

IIRC the guy in "The Big Short" (the guy who made billions in the 2008 blow up), moved into 'trading' water. Whatever that means - rights or whatever. Seems like he may have been onto something.

THAT movie and a bunch of other financial books and especially movies were good. We donated them to our library after many viewings.

I think (?) that he did get into trading water.

Side note:

LOOK at what is happening the various parts of the country. MI and in other parts of the Great Lakes region with bottling companies. Crazy on how that is going on AND with the depths of the lakes going down. This is very clear to see and you can see this with older and newer records on LAKE LEVELS.

Some 'yahoo' wanted to do this bottling water deal in MT too. Close to Canada but in Montana. TOO much to say but if there is one thing that should NOT be done is have some 'yahoo' put in a water bottling plant in farm/ranch areas in the WESTERN climate like we have here so he DRAINS or runs the water dry out of their wells!

There are news links about all of that but I am too tired and sore to look them up with my old bones now.

Cate

I think that some people go overboard on 'watering' and growing huge areas of lawns.

It makes more sense to have your land or MOST of your land adapt to the climate, terrain and SOIL/DIRT where you build your house.

Cate

THAT movie and a bunch of other financial books and especially movies were good. We donated them to our library after many viewings.

I think (?) that he did get into trading water.

Side note:

LOOK at what is happening the various parts of the country. MI and in other parts of the Great Lakes region with bottling companies. Crazy on how that is going on AND with the depths of the lakes going down. This is very clear to see and you can see this with older and newer records on LAKE LEVELS.

Lakes, rivers, etc. vary with rainfall.

Aquifers are where most of the water is, where much of it comes from, and they are all going down. It takes hundreds if not thousands of years to refill them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top