Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Watches

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mrblond, May 25, 2014.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Looking for a watch and I really don't want to spend Rolex money on something good that's built well and keeps time. What do you people recommend.

2. Mezzovex

Mezzovex Sherwood Active Member

Citizen watches are really nice. You can get nice classy ones for $500-600 new.

3. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

4. Mezzovex

I have a nighthawk Eco. I have gotten so many compliments about it.

5. mrblond

6. Mezzovex

7. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I was given a Victrinox Swiss Army watch.
    Besides being stylish and cool looking, it keeps perfect time, as it should being that it's a Swiss watch.

1256044_fpx.tif?wid=59&hei=72&fit=fit,1&$filtersm$

1318576_fpx.tif?wid=59&hei=72&fit=fit,1&$filtersm$

1256044_fpx.tif?$filterlrg$&wid=330&hei=404&fit=fit,1

Victorinox Swiss Army Watch, Men's Officer's Day Date Black Leather Strap 40mm 241549.1 - Pocket Knife Gift Set
    Web ID: 706746

8. BaggerRyder

BaggerRyder The Couv Active Member

Can't go wrong with Citizen Eco-Drives. No need to change the batteries. Seiko also has a line of solar powered watches. If you want a digital, look at Suunto. If you want to get into very high quality mechanical tool watches look at Sinn and Damasko.

parallax likes this.
  9. mrblond

Been looking at the Seiko Monster line. I keep reading mixed things about the Suunto watches and those other two look great, but for that money, i'll buy a few more guns.

10. BaggerRyder

BaggerRyder The Couv Active Member

I feel that with the monster line the bezel overpowers the dial. The watch face is very unbalanced IMO.
    Look at the Seiko Sportura line. There are a few nice divers in that line if your looking for a diver. The Seiko SUN015P1 and P2 are great looking watches. The P1 has a bracelet, the P2 has a rubber strap.
    They are also 44mm cases so if you have large wrists they won't look too small.
    I hear ya about the price of Sinn and Damasko, but just as with firearms people flip them all the time. Big market for used higher end watches. Sometimes you can find some really good watches on the used market for a significant discount to retail. Watch collecting can be as addicting as firearm collecting.

11. mrblond

I hear ya, I used to have several but its been years since I wore a watch. and on those high end ones. I always wanted a bretiling. maybe I will wait a while and finally get one.

12. cooperdh

cooperdh People's Republic of PDX Active Member

If you want a quality automatic watch from an American company, go with Hamilton. They are very well respected by watch connoisseurs and sell for a reasonable price. You can often see them on sale too.

13. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Breitling

14. ikemay

ikemay WA Well-Known Member

I have and like the following:
    Citizen BM6400 - Eco-Drive,very good glow on the indices, nice clean military style dial, 200 meter water resistance, screw down crown. Con: small date window, and 21mm lug width can make it challenging to find different watch straps. Can be found for about $140.00

Seiko SKX007 - Automatic Seiko movement (very durable and tough), rotating dive bezel, great glow on the dial as well, 200 meter water resistance, screw down crown. Con: Since it's an automatic it will gain or lose time perhaps about +/- 20 seconds a day.
    Can be found for under $200.00

G-Shock DW5600e - battery quartz movement (I get about 5-7 years on a battery YMMV), basic tough digital watch, easy to use functions that you don't need a manual to figure out Slim, tough, keeps very good time. Con: It's digital not analog, that's just me though. Can be found for about $40.00

*Note: I have the Seiko SKX171 with the SKX007 rotating bezel. But they are basically the same size and movement.

Best of luck,
    Ikemay

parallax likes this.
  15. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
    Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

When I graduated from high school ('65) my parents got me an Omega watch to match my fathers. Now I have both since they died. Both still run and keep accurate time. I'd buy another if I needed another watch.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    Defender of Freedom Award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Mezzovex likes this.
  16. wscott577

wscott577 Phonix New Member

Depends what yo mean as "top." Bigggest selling (timex, swatch, etc.) is one list, "best" is another. Avoid brands that are just using a designer's name (like Gucci) and not real watch companies. The "Best" list would be:
    Cartier
    Patek Philippe
    TAG Heuer
    Chopard
    Bell
    Nixon
    Breitling
    Audemars Piguet
    IWC
    Piaget
    Breguet
    Tissot