JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was off work today so I decided to watch the House HR 822 hearings and then the Senate Judicial session on the "Fix Gun Checks Act", which I was not aware of. I cannot even begin to tell you how shocked I was to watch these 2 sessions and the response from the gun control side. I would rather have a root canal without Novocain before watching this stuff, but I'm glad I did.

In the House hearings, some of responses I heard today from our nations elected officials made me laugh sometimes and more often made me cringe at their pure ignorance of the subject matter. After most of the politicians voiced their concerns against national reciprocity, their next comment usually touted the need for more gun control.

On the Senate side and the session to address the "Fix Gun Checks Act" the head of NICS came off like AG Eric Holder did in his responses to the Senate and he didn't know anything when asked straight up questions by Senator Grassley. Sen. Schumer was the head of this thing and they had some guy, Dr. Dave Kopel I believe was his name, tell Schumer what a train wreck that his bill was. Basically Schumer's bill as it's written would make anyone who has been ordered to have counseling, by court order or even by a University, would be prohibited from firearms possession RETROACTIVELY to the bill passage i.e.: even 20 years ago. The act of just being arrested even if the charges are dropped or you are found not guilty would make you prohibited from firearms possession and make millions of Americans felons by possessing a firearm upon this bills passage.

I don't think this bill has a snowballs chance in heck of passing but they are pushing it. Mayor Bloomberg's #2 henchmen was there to represent and toting that more gun control is the answer. I found out that NY has the lowest violent crime rate of any major metropolitan city in the nation today based on what #2 said, that's amazing, yah right!

Bottom line is I am glad the NRA and the SAF are there as our voice as law abiding firearms owners. I can't watch that stuff again any time soon. Makes you sick to your stomach the amount of spin that is dealt out in those sessions. - G

Yup, I know what you went through. The level of ignorance and arrogance is astounding. These lawmakers have no idea what they are talking about, but they sure like to think they are the experts. Only they can make the important decisions that protect the people from themselves.

The sad part is, it's the same way no matter what the subject is. Healthcare, immigration, cash for clunkers, or gun control. Clueless incorporated.

I was off work today so I decided to watch the House HR 822 hearings and then the Senate Judicial session on the “Fix Gun Checks Act”, which I was not aware of. I cannot even begin to tell you how shocked I was to watch these 2 sessions and the response from the gun control side. I would rather have a root canal without Novocain before watching this stuff, but I’m glad I did.

In the House hearings, some of responses I heard today from our nations elected officials made me laugh sometimes and more often made me cringe at their pure ignorance of the subject matter. After most of the politicians voiced their concerns against national reciprocity, their next comment usually touted the need for more gun control.

On the Senate side and the session to address the “Fix Gun Checks Act” the head of NICS came off like AG Eric Holder did in his responses to the Senate and he didn’t know anything when asked straight up questions by Senator Grassley. Sen. Schumer was the head of this thing and they had some guy, Dr. Dave Kopel I believe was his name, tell Schumer what a train wreck that his bill was. Basically Schumer’s bill as it’s written would make anyone who has been ordered to have counseling, by court order or even by a University, would be prohibited from firearms possession RETROACTIVELY to the bill passage i.e.: even 20 years ago. The act of just being arrested even if the charges are dropped or you are found not guilty would make you prohibited from firearms possession and make millions of Americans felons by possessing a firearm upon this bills passage.

I don’t think this bill has a snowballs chance in heck of passing but they are pushing it. Mayor Bloomberg’s #2 henchmen was there to represent and toting that more gun control is the answer. I found out that NY has the lowest violent crime rate of any major metropolitan city in the nation today based on what #2 said, that’s amazing, yah right!

Bottom line is I am glad the NRA and the SAF are there as our voice as law abiding firearms owners. I can’t watch that stuff again any time soon. Makes you sick to your stomach the amount of spin that is dealt out in those sessions. - G

you see how it will go if thiss bill passes. First they fix the back ground check, next they fix the gun show loophole,then they stop all shooting on public lands..etc.etc.etc.

Actually recorded House session for a 2nd day and the final vote and watched it when I got home this afternoon. I must honestly say I can't do this again for a long time. Its mind numbing to watch.

Some of the 8 amendments offered by the Dems were just hilarious. Lady from Texas offered up an amendment that under the National Reciprocity Act, if you were going to travel, 24 hrs before you travel you would have to call the local law enforcement in that state to tell them you are going to be coming to visit their state with your gun. I about wet myself from laughing when I heard her say that. Now that is funny stuff! Better than the Comedy Channel!

Bottom line is HR 822 passed the house I think by 271 to 154 vote or so. All of the amendments the Dems tried to attach went down in flames. One amendment that went thru was from Rep. Dave Rieckhart (R-WA) that addressed the GAO doing a study to see how best to deal with some kind of nationwide instant check system for law enforcement to make sure the persons concealed license is valid as only 13 states have that capability at the present time. No one one either side objected to that amendment.

Now I need a drink and I have promised myself that I will not watch this thing in the senate sessions, Im going to have Comcast block C-Span on my cable box! :nuts: - G

Actually recorded House session for a 2nd day and the final vote and watched it when I got home this afternoon. I must honestly say I can't do this again for a long time. Its mind numbing to watch.

Some of the 8 amendments offered by the Dems were just hilarious. Lady from Texas offered up an amendment that under the National Reciprocity Act, if you were going to travel, 24 hrs before you travel you would have to call the local law enforcement in that state to tell them you are going to be coming to visit their state with your gun. I about wet myself from laughing when I heard her say that. Now that is funny stuff! Better than the Comedy Channel!

Bottom line is HR 822 passed the house I think by 271 to 154 vote or so. All of the amendments the Dems tried to attach went down in flames. One amendment that went thru was from Rep. Dave Rieckhart (R-WA) that addressed the GAO doing a study to see how best to deal with some kind of nationwide instant check system for law enforcement to make sure the persons concealed license is valid as only 13 states have that capability at the present time. No one one either side objected to that amendment.

Now I need a drink and I have promised myself that I will not watch this thing in the senate sessions, Im going to have Comcast block C-Span on my cable box! :nuts: - G

"The vote was 272-154, with only seven Republicans voting against it and 43 Democrats supporting it" according to the AP- Yeah!

". One amendment that went thru was from Rep. Dave Rieckhart (R-WA) that addressed the GAO doing a study to see how best to deal with some kind of nationwide instant check system for law enforcement to make sure the persons concealed license is valid as only 13 states have that capability at the present time. No one one either side objected to that amendment."

I don't like the sound of that!! I thought the NICS was alredy run by the FBI.

". One amendment that went thru was from Rep. Dave Rieckhart (R-WA) that addressed the GAO doing a study to see how best to deal with some kind of nationwide instant check system for law enforcement to make sure the persons concealed license is valid as only 13 states have that capability at the present time. No one one either side objected to that amendment."

I don't like the sound of that!! I thought the NICS was alredy run by the FBI.

I thought NICS had to do with a check before buying a firearm. They don't have anything to do with concealed carry permits, do they?

First this:
then this:
I can't watch that stuff again any time soon. Makes you sick to your stomach the amount of spin that is dealt out in those sessions. - G
OH, but you must watch more! ;)
GOOD JOB watching our republic's machinations in action, despite the opinion that you'd enjoy a trip to the dentist more.
You now have absolute proof for your political support.
If more people on here (and every forum everywhere) spent more time watching C-span and less time watching American idol/survivor etc. we wouldn't be in the leaderless mess we are in.

Being informed is way harder than letting others do your thinking for you, but the opinion(s) formed tend to be stronger, since they are built on a foundation of personally witnessed evidence.

I was browsing other threads when I saw this. Here is the thing about the act, the bill would require all states to accept concealed handgun carry permits from every other state, even if the permit holder would not be allowed to carry or even possess a handgun in the state where the person is traveling. This legislation is not only about self defense, but rather it would make a major step forward for gun owners' right by significantly expanding where those permits are recognized.

WRONG! National legislation that reinforces the concept of requiring ANY permit for carrying a gun is a step BACKWARDS for gun owner's rights.

WRONG! National legislation that reinforces the concept of requiring ANY permit for carrying a gun is a step BACKWARDS for gun owner's rights.

But the fact that it forces the states to respect the permit you already have is a step forward. Would you like to have to get a drivers license in each state you wanted to drive though?

Driving isn't expressly written as the second most important thing in the constitution...

HR 822 has a lot of flaws. A major one being that Vermont residents would not be allowed to carry because the bill requires you have a physical permit. Vermont does not have a permit system at all.

In addition, Alaska, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, and soon New Hampshire (cross fingers!), have Constitutional Carry but maintain permit systems for reciprocity, citizens in those states would then be required to apply for permits even though the state says they don't need one.

Also in May-Issue states like California and Hawaii you will probably never get a permit anyway, and as the bill allows for carry in all states EXCEPT Illinois and YOUR STATE OF RESIDENCE, unless you have a permit in your state of residence, it really doesn't help the infringed people at all.

HR 2900 is a similar bill that is written MUCH better and fully addresses the issues of 822, Dems know this. They want 822 to pass because they can claim they help gun owners and really it's a sidestep. 822 is still another piece of legislation on RIGHTS that shouldn't be infringed on in the first place.

But the fact that it forces the states to respect the permit you already have is a step forward. Would you like to have to get a drivers license in each state you wanted to drive though?

Yes, it is a very small improvement in the permit system for the PRIVILEGE of carrying a weapon.

But it is a step backwards for the RIGHT of bearing arms.

Getting a larger cage is not the same as getting freedom.

Last Edited:
The idea of the check was so that if an officer that stopped you in NY wanted to make sure your WA permit was valid he could. It's that simple. Keep counterfit permits to a minimum. NICS has no idea if you have a permit to carry, or not.

Yes, it is a very small improvement in the permit system for the PRIVILEGE of carrying a weapon.

But it is a step backwards for the RIGHT of bearing arms.

Getting a larger cage is not the same as getting freedom.

It's actually a big improvement. Oregon residents will be able to carry in places like Colorado and California, and residents of non-border states will be able too carry in Oregon. Also, if I remember correctly, the bill will address Federal School Zones issue currently present in reciprocal states.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top