JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People can do that drill all they want on the cold range, but won't use it in reality.

Same for shooting from retention, people practice it...but no data to support anyone has ever shot that way unless it was bad breath distance. Even then we see (panicked, untrained or poorly trained people) push the pistol out in front of them most often. (And if they are doing that, they haven't drilled enough to have muscle memory.)

Look at the first shot she takes, he's right up on her, she pushes her pistol out and takes the shot. Training or not, the brain doesn't like it, and will over ride.

If that holds true in every case, all training is a waste of time!!! Why bother if the brain is going to override and have someone that has trained for 20yrs revert to "spray and pray" mode.

I don't think you mean what you wrote, because it would negate the need for your classes.

Unfortunately...not always, even though many instructors have said so.

If people do as you say, you'd see more people in shootings using the Mozambique technique...but it ain't happening.

Splitting hares over the Mozambique.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Which I never thought was useful in a real gunfight anyway! Looks good on TV tho. But as I said, we do all kinds of drills to develop all kinds of skills... I don't think I remember anyone saying all the drills were to be used in a gunfight. What good is a 5x5 drill in a gunfight? Circle drill, dot torture, etc, etc, etc.

If people don't do as they train generally, why bother training???

I can't answer to the spray and pray mode...but after extensive training some have resorted to just that.

How people will act when faced with such a thing is a toss of the dice.

Have seen highly trained people fall apart, then like in the video...most likely less trained people...function.

When you're instructed on theory instead of reality and how the brain works, you'll get different unintended results.

Theory...don't slap the trigger, you won't hit the target
Reality...One can slap the trigger all they want as long as it's straight back, and you'll get hits every time...out to about 10-12 yards.

Theory...all flinch can be trained out of a person.
Reality...the brain won't allow the body to experience impact as a surprise.
It can be tamed, but extremely rarely removed in an open loop brain action.

Theory...double tap/controlled pair then assess.
Reality...people will shoot until the threat ceases...or is no longer there.

Theory...stop shooting when the person turns and is no longer a threat.
Reality...hard to stop an action when the adrenaline is pumping hard...why some get shot in the back.

Theory...when shooting while moving, one must crouch, roll the feet etc.
Reality...you'll just walk, run, or at least move fast...ugh

No, not all training is a waste...but some is. Some will say...but any training is good...I disagree. Anymore it's hard to find really bad training...but some is still out there.

What good is a 5x5 drill in a gunfight? Circle drill, dot torture, etc, etc, etc.

If people don't do as they train generally, why bother training???

The Dot Torture drill is a great drill to put the brain into a closed loop shooting situation...such as for longer and precision shots.

Changing Gears drill - which are targets that are both large and small. This replicates both near and far targets, or large shooting areas such as the vitals, and smaller shooting areas such as the head.

It trains the brain to be able to smoothly go from open loop brain function...running in subconscious, to closed loop brain function...running on the conscious side...presence, decisions, determination and concentration.

There are just some things that go against with how the brain functions the body...some can be programmed, some not so much. Everyone is wired a bit different...

I don't mind throwing myself out there for anyone to burn me at the stake when it come to this kind of thing...but if it doesn't work when opposed, or can't be replicated in combat...I'll question it.

Fact: Most people confuse taking training classes with actually being trained.. and most coppers/professionals can't shoot worth beans. They have no interest in it whatsoever.

Training is just the beginning, on going practice is where it really counts! Getting GOOD solid training means you loose bad habits and gain good ones much easier then trying to figure it out when it all goes to hell! Most experienced in shooting will tell you, they reverted to basic instinct and muscle memory, and its THOSE things that training and practice really count!

All things considered I say these ladies did the best possible under the circumstances!

This video shows that luck beats skill, particularly if your skills aren't up to snuff. Skill really helps though, and you can't depend on luck to save your life.
I also blurted out "Holy Mackeral!!" That was too close. :eek:
All's well that ends well. Nobody who matters got hurt. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top