Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Washington Supressor House Bill ----- Legal Use

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Rude, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Rude

Rude End of a gravel road Member

In this state, it is legal to OWN a suppressor as it is in any other "free" state, however it is ILLEGAL to actually use the suppressor in any form or action.

Yes, you read that right. I can buy a suppressor, pay a $200 tax stamp, wait 4 to 6 months for the background check and "approval" to have a $1,000 can sitting in my safe that can not be used ANYWHERE in my home state.

Well, thanks to the hands of Brian Blake ( Democrat believe it or not), there is hope.

House Bill 1016, which makes it legal for the legal owner of a suppressor to use said suppressor for training, shooting or hunting, passed both the House (88-4 on the 7th of Feb ) and the Senate ( Yay on the 10th of March ) and has now been refered to the Rules and Means Committee for a Second Reading.

According to the Information Officer, the reading is to verify that the original bill was not modified in either the House or the Senate, which it apparently was not, and if the Rules Committee it is in it's original form, it will come out for a vote as early as April.

So if you folks have a spare second and want to help the good folks of Washington State out, would you mind making a call to Brian's office (phone: 360-786-7870) or shooting him an e-mail and letting him know the good folks of Washington State are behind him and are watching.
    Rep. Brian Blake | Washington State House Democrats

Please??

Thanks,

2. dr drae

dr drae Seattle Member

3. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Looks like it's pretty much a sure thing now.. this was what I needed to see to get into suppressors :cheer:

4. sigman

sigman Olympia, Wa Member

88-4 on House side and 47-0 on Senate side makes it veto proof! Im glad I already have my form 4 in.

5. davidgpo

davidgpo Seattle Member

Great news! I definitely want to get a suppressor now. Think I'll go the trust route, does anybody have a WA state NFA boiler plate?

6. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Now I need to find out about the hoops to construct your own suppressor...

7. Rude

You cannot build them Redcap
    Just wanna keep the wolves form your door
    I've been using mine in legal states on vacation
    It is amazing how much fun it is to shoot without all that noise
    Beginners take to shooting alot faster without the report
    And my neighbors will appreciate it
    Thank you Brain Blake ( a democrat !!!!)
    Gonna go out and fire off a few supperssed rounds to celebrate!!!!!!!!

8. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

Congrat WA, your suppressor law finally make sense.

9. seattlewingsfan

seattlewingsfan Lakewood, Washington, United States Member

Are you saying he is not skilled enough to make one? It is legal to make them provided you have all the correct paperwork and pay accordingly.

10. nubus

nubus Guest

Hate to be rude, Rude, but you're a little late to the party.
    Check out the NFA section of the site...

NWFA NFA Section

11. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Uuummm it IS legal to build you own if you have the proper paperwork.

Well if you have been traveling out of state to shoot them you still have to wait since it is NOT legal yet, but will be 90 days after the session ends.

I know how much fun it is, I have been doing it for years in this state since it was only "kind of" illegal to use them here.

The people you need to be thanking is RANB and the others that put their hard work and time into getting this there. It was the push of "the people" to get this done, did "Brain Blake" (I will assume you mean Brian) write this bill? Did he push for this bill? What did he do other then vote "yes"? I do agree that he should be thanked for following what the PEOPLE want.

Check out nubus link, your "new" story is old news........

12. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I absolutely CAN build one. All it takes is the necessary paperwork and an approved design. Not only that, but I have the skills to make an effective/durable design and do all the work myself.

13. Rude

My mistake I thought
    It was Illegal to build them Build away

14. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Shhhhh…..Suppressor bill sent to Gregoire
    :thumbup:

Legislation that will allow the legal owners of firearm noise suppressors to actually use them in Washington State is now headed to Gov. Christine Gregoire’s desk, where it should be signed due to the overwhelming support it got in both houses of the State Legislature, and from law enforcement.

Shhhhh

15. Magaoitin

Magaoitin Shoreline New Member

It looks official, the Governor Signed on Monday. Now we have a 90 day wait after this session of the Senate ends (Ends on April 24th) for this to become law. July 24th will be a quiet day at the range!

Apr 6 Delivered to Governor
    Apr 11 Governor signed.
    Chapter 13, 2011 Laws.
    Effective Date is 90 days after adjournment Sine Die

HB 1016 - 2011-12

16. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

So was it always legal to use a registered suppresor in Oregon? This law applies to WA residents only...correct?

17. seattlewingsfan

Correct HB 1016 changed Washington law to allow use of leagallyowned suppressors.

On a side note. Do you actually have Rally Car? I might be going to the event up at Dirt Fish this weekend to promote the shop.

18. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

no not anymore. Used to have a WRX then later got a WRX STi but it wasn't built for organized rally or anything. I did some rally schools, rallyX and driftX competitions though. just an amatuer... I beat the heck out of that car though...did surprisingly well in a mudpit suitable for trucks too. I love rally racing... I made a vid if your interested:
    [video=youtube;O4hO9wC4ri4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hO9wC4ri4[/video]

*sry, not trying to derail thread...he asked

19. seattlewingsfan

cool Vid. I've always been more partial to Mitsu stuff. But I've tune quite a few Subies.

Now to make it on topic. Yahoo Suppressors! Looking at the the articles and NRA ILA info I have read this legislative season we as a country are doing pretty good getting back our rights. Suppressors and constitutional carry and castle doctrines, etc...

20. Smokey85

Smokey85 Vancouver Member

I never understood this law in Washington. You can own a suppressor but not use it???? What a crazy law. Blue law and why did it take this long to change? Granted even people for gun control should understand that. Plus the suppressors cost a fair amount and have additional screening/ waiting process. Highly unlikely someone in a gang or whatever that can't even keep their pants up would even pass the screening let alone have one. The main purpose in my opinion is the cool factor like the James bond stuff lol, and the more logical reason saving your hearing!!!! Glad it passed though. Another weird law.