JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope, your cpl makes it so you don't have to wait.
UNLESS the NICS check comes back as a hold.
There will still be a check, but the mandatory waiting period is waived.

+1 on that and the bg check...

just the standard check like buying a rifle when you have a CPL. 10-30 minutes and the gun is yours to take home.

State of Washington License To Carry Concealed Pistol, maybe should be called LTCCP. :cool:

If you are delayed due to a previous FBI investigation and the merchant doesn't stay on the phone to speak with a live person, as they are required to do, and instead hangs up on the NICS wait line because they are too impatient to invest the effort, then the purchaser can return in 3 business days to pick up the item provided that NICS has not responded by then with a determination of denied.

The merchant should stay on the line and give your specific ID information such as physical description and DOB to the operator, and then you should be approved on the spot.

However some salespeople take the lazy route, and as a consequence you'll make an additional trip back to the store.

State of Washington License To Carry Concealed Pistol, maybe should be called LTCCP. :cool:

If you are delayed due to a previous FBI investigation and the merchant doesn't stay on the phone to speak with a live person, as they are required to do, and instead hangs up on the NICS wait line because they are too impatient to invest the effort, then the purchaser can return in 3 business days to pick up the item provided that NICS has not responded by then with a determination of denied.

The merchant should stay on the line and give your specific ID information such as physical description and DOB to the operator, and then you should be approved on the spot.

However some salespeople take the lazy route, and as a consequence you'll make an additional trip back to the store.

So are you saying the lazy salesperson is possibly illegally giving the guy the firearm since they will hang up instead of waiting for it to clear? Your statement wouldn't make sense since it typically takes 30 extra seconds for the federal agent they connect you to get your answer.. I have experience with this.

Last Edited:
They both mean the same thing. Does it really matter. DUI or DWI, what's difference?

CPL vs. CWP - They do not mean the same thing.
Concealed Pistol License = defines what you can carry concealed
Concealed Weapons Permit for example, in Florida, lets you carry nearly anything concealed.
I suppose for the lazy and ignorant person there is no difference.

CPL vs. CWP - They do not mean the same thing.
Concealed Pistol License = defines what you can carry concealed
Concealed Weapons Permit for example, in Florida, lets you carry nearly anything concealed.
I suppose for the lazy and ignorant person there is no difference.

First off DIPSTICK, I am neither lazy nor ignorant. I take offense to you implication. Second of all NOSEWIPE, we are not in Florida. We are in Washington. There is no two seperate permits. Both CWP and CPL in Washington mean the very same thing. For years when I was a kid my dad always called it a CWP. Like in the mid 70's. Just like back then it was a DUI not a DWI. They both mean the same thing. So Professor, is class over?

I have to agree that it does not mean the same thing, CWP and CPL.

A pistol is a type of weapon, but not all weapons are a pistol.

BTW I don't think your lazy, just not up to date. ;)

So are you saying the lazy salesperson is possibly illegally giving the guy the firearm since they will hang up instead of waiting for it to clear? Your statement wouldn't make sense since it typically takes 30 extra seconds for the federal agent they connect you to get your answer.. I have experience with this.

This is right it wouldn't make sense because that's NOT what I said.

I said they hang up on the system and so you have to come back three days later. I stood by at Wade's for 20 minutes on my last transfer back in May. The experience of "30 extra seconds" is not true in every circumstance, unless 30 seconds is the same as 20 minutes.

To the contrary here was what I wrote:

...and as a consequence you'll make an additional trip back to the store.

I also said
then the purchaser can return in 3 business days to pick up the item provided that NICS has not responded by then

How this could be misconstrued into some version of an illegal transfer is left up to the imagination.

So please if I'm going to be quoted, do so accurately and don't waste my time correcting points I did not make. And, since we're on the topic, could we please dial back the name calling while we're at it? This is supposed to be a forum of respectful conversation.

We're on the same side here. Right?

Don't take it in a wrong way since I'm not trying to go against you.

As for the transferring from the person who enters in the info for the NICS check to the transfer to the agent in West Virginia, I've ran numerous checks and that transfer to that agent has never been longer than 30 seconds for me. I'm just saying out of my experience. Apparently you got lucky on the long delay which I've never seen.

As for the purchaser coming back to pick up the firearm after 3 business days after the salesperson hangs up in the middle of the process seems like a liability to the store owner since it would seem like a gray area. I would wonder if the ATF would even call back since they never officially said it was delayed.. they only said that they (the person who is entering your info who isn't a ATF agent) are transferring you to an agent to review the info. That agent could say denied which brings me to the point of it becoming a illegal transfer due to the dealers employee not following through the process, marking the 4473 as a delay even though they never heard those words, and not follow up on it with the ATF to confirm the status since they never got the confirmation it was a delay.

Once again I'm not doubting your experience and not trying to be confrontational.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top