JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Washington State Recognizes Idaho CCW Permits
With the adoption of Idaho’s ‘Enhanced CCW’ permit, the neighboring states of Idaho and Washington now fully recognize each others’ (enhanced) CCW licenses. Now if we can just get grumpy old Oregon on board . . .

Idaho has offered a ‘basic’ CCW license since 1990. It’s been liberally (in the ‘generous’ sense of the word) issued to just about anyone over the age of 18 without a disqualifying conviction. Local LEO’s had the choice of whether to require any specific training to qualify for a basic Idaho CCW, and most chose not to.

This, ahem, ‘liberality’ has caused most other states to deny CCW reciprocity to Idaho CCW holders. States typically only grant reciprocity to other states with CCW laws that are as equally stringent as their own. And those that also recognize the first state’s CCW permits. Idaho’s ‘problem’ was that few other states issue CCWs to anyone under 21 years old, and many of them have some form of training requirement as well. Under either prong, Idaho’s basic process wasn’t strict enough to be granted reciprocity by most states.

This smacked of inequity, since Idaho was just as generous at recognizing other states’ CCWs as it was at handing out its own. Idaho’s reciprocity rules are simple and generous: if you have a CCW from any jurisdiction in the country, you can pack in Idaho. God bless the Gem State.

Despite this generosity, Idaho’s legislature saw that its citizens were getting the fuzzy end of the stick when it came to reciprocity. Last summer they decided to authorize a new ‘Enhanced’ CCW process, in order to encourage more states to recognize Idahoans’ CCW permits. The new Idaho ‘Enhanced’ CCW licenses require some training, and are only issued to qualified applicants over the age of 21.

The old ‘basic’ Idaho CCW is still available (though not widely recognized outside the state) but the ‘Enhanced’ CCW is now granted reciprocity by 30 states including Washington.

Not among them? Oregon. The Beaver State is a real party-pooper on reciprocity because Washington and Idaho recognize Oregon CCWs, but Oregon doesn’t recognize theirs. Adding insult to injury, many larger Oregon counties have slightly anti-gun sheriffs who use their discretion (if not their judgment) to deny most nonresident CCW applications.

This CCW snobbery can be circumvented if Washingtonians and Idahoans apply for CCWs from the handful of Oregon jurisdictions (including Grant and Columbia counties) which routinely issue Oregon CCWs to nonresidents.

Isn’t it awesome to see a state government actually working to protect and enhance the 2nd Amendment freedoms of its citizens? I almost want to move to Idaho after writing this, but Boise is stinking hot in the summer (and bitter cold in the winter) and I promised my wife I’d never take another Bar Exam again.

But I digress. Hopefully all of this state-by-state reciprocity talk will be redundant someday when we can celebrate nationwide reciprocity or right-to-carry, but for now it’s at least another step in the right direction.

I've wanted OR to extend reciprocity but our legislature always questions training from other states. :rolleyes:

interesting - I didn't realize that WA didn't recognize ID's permits. Not sure why WA would not recognize based on training requirement as WA doesn't require training. Maybe the age of issue being below 21 was the reason?

interesting - I didn't realize that WA didn't recognize ID's permits. Not sure why WA would not recognize based on training requirement as WA doesn't require training. Maybe the age of issue being below 21 was the reason?
The under 21 age is exactly why WA no longer recognizes FL anymore.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

When I applied for my Idaho permit I had to show training, so I don't know what they are talking about. Besides, in Idaho outside of the city limits, as long as your engaged in any legal outdoor activity you don't need a permit.

I've wanted OR to extend reciprocity but our legislature always questions training from other states. :rolleyes:

It's really funny how Oregon questions other states training for CHL's considering Oregon only requires at minimum hunters safety. Which only teaches safe handling of firearms, not proficiency or shoot no shoot based scenario training. Talk about the pot and kettle.

On another note, the article mentioned the fact that Oregon does NOT recognize other states CHL's; and yet I have not seen any posts by the forum frequent flyers that disagree with that, from WA of course.

When I got my Idaho permit in 99 you had to be 21 and have proof of training.

Idaho was not recognized because a sheriff can choose to issue licenses to 18 to 20 y/o on a "may issue basis"

Oregon needs to open reciprocity, because if Oregon chooses to recognize WA's license then Washington would recognize Oregon's at the same time.

Last I check (within the last year), WA doesn't honor OR CHLs, which is why I got my UT CHL. It would be great if OR opened up reciprocity, as that would benefit the citizens by them NOT having to get out of state licenses (e.g. UT) to carry in neighboring (and other) states (except CA, of course), but the "problem" is, there's probably not much benefit to the OR government to open up reciprocity, and conversely they may lose some revenue by doing so, not to mention the concern about just anyone from other states just walking around Oregon with a gun. Oh, the horror! I wish they'd open up reciprocity, but I can't think of any compelling reason they'd want to do so. Can anyone think of a tangible reason that might be compelling to the government and not "just us citizens?" ;-)

Yeah, Oregon has SUCH high standards for training to get your CHL .... NOT. I used the Maryland State Police online training course. All of 15 minutes online. Self-serve.

The Training is not the reason. The reason is they want CONTROL.

CHL should not be required. Even worse is to not recognize a CHL from other states.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top