JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty sure I could wear my normal business outfit (slacks, long sleeve button up shirt, black shoes) and open carry and nobody would think twice about it. I'd look like your basic overweight detective, FBI agent, etc. Should try it sometime and see what the reaction is. Would certainly widen my carry options!

I was in small town Idaho last year, watched BIG biker dude armed with what looked like a 1911, with a little Yorklie in his cart, load his new Vett, pull a tricked out AR from storage and snap it to his console, all the while talking to a little old lady, then roar away. I mast have laughed for an hour!

I lived in Cody, Wyoming for a few years. I open carried a CZ-75 almost all the time, except when I was in the boonies carrying a S&W 629. A few tourists may have noticed, but nobody shat themselves. I think the tourists were there expecting to see guns.

Well, to the OP, the one way i avoid accidental OC is a lightweight vest in the wamer months. I had a military surplus Italian jacket that was too worn in the sleeves, so I cut them off and now it is a vest. :D Has 4 useful bellow pockets.

I live in Tacoma and the Walmart in my city I have seen on one occasion a group of young men, maybe 4 and a gal, of that group 3 were OCing. I noticed because I notice things (even the other person shoplifting but that is not my battle) and I did not notice how many others noticed the group OCing. This was late January, 2020.

I once saw a guy OCing ing Pittsburgh inside an Aldi (grocery store) and that was fine but what was not cool was that he reeked of booze. I waited for him outside and politely approached him and told him he was giving gun owners a bad name/ reputation AND it is an arrestable offence to mix alcohol with guns. Was not sure if I should/ could have done more but I do not argue with drunks.

I also have a chest "fanny pack." :cool:

Well, to the OP, the one way i avoid accidental OC is a lightweight vest in the wamer months. I had a military surplus Italian jacket that was too worn in the sleeves, so I cut them off and now it is a vest. :D Has 4 useful bellow pockets.

I live in Tacoma and the Walmart in my city I have seen on one occasion a group of young men, maybe 4 and a gal, of that group 3 were OCing. I noticed because I notice things (even the other person shoplifting but that is not my battle) and I did not notice how many others noticed the group OCing. This was late January, 2020.

I once saw a guy OCing ing Pittsburgh inside an Aldi (grocery store) and that was fine but what was not cool was that he reeked of booze. I waited for him outside and politely approached him and told him he was giving gun owners a bad name/ reputation AND it is an arrestable offence to mix alcohol with guns. Was not sure if I should/ could have done more but I do not argue with drunks.

I also have a chest "fanny pack." :cool:

You were wrong. Your personal opinion aside it is not illegal to carry and consume alcohol in PA. Nunya mindya is always the best practice.

I lived in Cody, Wyoming for a few years. I open carried a CZ-75 almost all the time, except when I was in the boonies carrying a S&W 629. A few tourists may have noticed, but nobody shat themselves. I think the tourists were there expecting to see guns.
This reminds me of a time when hunting in PA and some Japanese tourist stopped to ask me for directions, even with my rifle slung on my shoulder. Turns out he is a fellow doctor, too, and a hunter!

You were wrong. It is not illegal to carry and consume alcohol in PA. Nunya mindya is always the best practice.
If I am wrong my mistake, but there is a code I would like to believe among responsible gun owners that GUNS and ALCOHOL DO NOT MIX!

But yes, I do not think I will repeat approaching a drunk gun owner.

If I am wrong my mistake, but there is a code I would like to believe among responsible gun owners that GUNS and ALCOHOL DO NOT MIX!

But yes, I do not think I will repeat approaching a drunk gun owner.
Thats an opinion not a law. PA remains one of the few states where it is legal to carry a gun while intoxicated. The people of PA apparently feel that is important.

We have a mortgage at Peoples Bank so go into Bothell, WA branch some times. City hall is near the strip mall and I see nicely dressed law enforcement officers with no jackets on that carry to the Starbucks across the street from the bank. No big deal for me.

I once carried an LC9 in a desantis owb leather holster with a matching leather double mag pouch to that Tacoma Walmart. It was too hot to wear my coat, so I left it in the car and went in with my 2 friends. As we went in, some guy came up behind me and loudly said, "ARE YOU A COP?" Which wouldnt be the first time I have been asked that in general, but first time when OCing. He looked like a typical tech support guy. About 5' tall. I said, "no, do you need one?" and he huffed and walked off. That's the extent of the hassle I have gotten in 20 years of wearing a gun on my belt. Typically under an un tucked shirt, but I don't hide it if its visible either.

I often OC a Super Blackhawk in a nice leather rig in the Camas-Vancouver area. I've never been harassed over it. I have had several peaceable conversations with people who wanted to know where they could get a carry permit, and one who wanted to know why I was carrying a gun in a low crime area. Many just don't notice it despite it being a very "in-your-face" method of carry. A couple of folks have expressed surprise when they noticed it a few minutes into conversation. People are less observant than you'd think.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top