JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the constituents think their lawmaker is stepping over the line abusing this law, which I think is illustrative of character, the best thing to do is vote them out.

that sounds good but when you have the majority of people that are content with the going with the flow or on the public handout line it's hard to change them when they will lose their freebies

that sounds good but when you have the majority of people that are content with the going with the flow or on the public handout line it's hard to change them when they will lose their freebies

Then create awareness. If people see their lawmaker being 'shamed' on this (sadly enough, that's probably the only way to get audience), they might decide to vote differently. Or not, but that means the consituency has spoken and said they don't care their lawmaker does these things.

Then create awareness. If people see their lawmaker being 'shamed' on this (sadly enough, that's probably the only way to get audience), they might decide to vote differently. Or not, but that means the consituency has spoken and said they don't care their lawmaker does these things.

that is the whole problem as long as they get their handout

Nevermind, I found a more detailed article that listed it.

<broken link removed>

Calkins said the dispensation comes from Article II, Section 16 of the state constitution, which says lawmakers "shall be privileged from arrest in all cases except treason, felony and breach of the peace" while the Legislature meets. That section of the constitution also says legislators "shall not be subject to any civil process" during the session and the 15 days prior.​

Nevermind, I found a more detailed article that listed it.

<broken link removed>

Calkins said the dispensation comes from Article II, Section 16 of the state constitution, which says lawmakers "shall be privileged from arrest in all cases except treason, felony and breach of the peace" while the Legislature meets. That section of the constitution also says legislators "shall not be subject to any civil process" during the session and the 15 days prior.​

Ridiculous!

When a drunk lawmaker maims or kills someone then walks away scot free, perhaps there will be allowed some retribution.

That said, I know why they did it. If one organization within the state government can harass someone from another organization, then there's a problem.

And just because you have a priviledge doesn't mean you should abuse it. When that constitution was written, the authors obviously failed to consider the possibility that a future government could possibly become bloated and self-serving.

That is called equal protection under the law???

No, it's called "separation of powers." If the executive branch has all of the power for enforcing laws and arrest, then they only way to keep the executive from forcing the legislators to do what they want (or prevent them from passing laws the executive doesn't want) is to make the legislators immune from the executive.

I wholeheartedly agree that it is open to abuse, but it also necessary -- in a similar way that the right to keep and bear arms is necessary.

Quote:

It's the law: Lawmakers don't get speeding tickets - seattlepi.com

Calkins said the dispensation comes from Article II, Section 16 of the state constitution, which says lawmakers "shall be privileged from arrest in all cases except treason, felony and breach of the peace" while the Legislature meets. That section of the constitution also says legislators "shall not be subject to any civil process" during the session and the 15 days prior.

End Quote.

I see nothing in this quoted section that would exempt lawmakers from eventually being responsible for their actions, only that the process is delayed until after the session ends. No doubt some judge (or higher court) created an immunity in a ruling somewhere, but the language of the Constitution appears to not create an immunity, only to delay the day of reckoning.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top