JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In Washington State, HB 1286 and SB 5340 have been introduced. They are now in committee.

They have listed quite a few weapons and it would affect magazines over 10 rounds.

One paragraph:
"A person who legally possesses an assault weapon or large capacity magazine under this subsection (2)(a) may not sell or transfer the assault weapon to any other person in this state other than to a licensed dealer, to a federally licensed gun smith for the purpose of service or repair, or to a law enforcement agency for the purpose of permanently relinquishing the assault weapon or large capacity magazine;"

There is a lot more in the bill. Please read it and start letting your legislators know what you think. My State Senator will probably fight it but my Representatives will support it.

In Washington State, HB 1286 and SB 5340 have been introduced. They are now in committee.

They have listed quite a few weapons and it would affect magazines over 10 rounds.

One paragraph:
"A person who legally possesses an assault weapon or large capacity magazine under this subsection (2)(a) may not sell or transfer the assault weapon to any other person in this state other than to a licensed dealer, to a federally licensed gun smith for the purpose of service or repair, or to a law enforcement agency for the purpose of permanently relinquishing the assault weapon or large capacity magazine;"

There is a lot more in the bill. Please read it and start letting your legislators know what you think. My State Senator will probably fight it but my Representatives will support it.
Gun owners voted in the people who are putting up these bills. Writing letters is nice but, unless gun owners stop voting these people in the people are not going to care.

Do we, as a state, have enough people who own "assault weapons" and "large capacity magazines" and/or care enough about the issue to attain a voting majority any more? I suspect that we don't given the increasing rate at which the 2nd amendment is being infringed here.

This crap just doesn't stop!
My only flicker of hope is the Supreme Court throws all of it out before I die of old age

Do we, as a state, have enough people who own "assault weapons" and "large capacity magazines" and/or care enough about the issue to attain a voting majority any more? I suspect that we don't given the increasing rate at which the 2nd amendment is being infringed here.
Sadly this is exactly why we are in this mess. WAYYYY too many people who own guns either will not bother to vote, or throw the vote away. They feel "new laws" will not effect them, or just remain ignorant until they later find out about some new law when it does effect them. The standard response when it does effect them? It's all the NRA's fault. This normally from people who are not even members. This is why WA and OR are in a race to have CA type gun laws.

Both. We need lots of "I voted for you, but..." people writing in.
The people who are giving you these new laws really do not care if a dump truck of angry letters shows up at the post office for them, IF, they win again next election. When gun owners openly support people like Hillary to win, or Kate, or the latest Gov. here in WA, why would they care? If they put in new gun laws, then win reelection, why would they care? People in power only fear one thing, losing their job. I really don't see this getting better, only worse. Wayyyy too many gun owners just will not vote for the right to keep guns. Every time we have an election here in this state there are two choices. One of them is always better. Some times not by much, but one is better. What keeps happening is gun owners say "they are all the same" or "I am too moral to vote for the RINO" or such. So the worst one wins. Then starts in with new gun laws. I fully expect to see CA type gun laws in this state soon if I am around another decade or so. Gun owners will vote them in on themselves, all the while getting real angry about them. <shrug>

Assault weapons havent been available to the general public since 1968. We've allowed them to label a single shot bolt action 22 with a muzzle device and pistol grip as an "assault weapon". I simply have no words. Its not what it really is, its whatever they want it to be and way too few people recognize their true intention.

I have a slightly different view of "throwing your vote away". I'd rather face the enemy in front of me than be stabbed in the back by an "ally".

If people keep voting for RINOs that constantly throw us under the bus, what incentive do the RINOs have to ever change their ways? Sometimes it might take losing an election before the party realizes that we don't want, and won't support, the lesser of two evils. If they want my vote, they need to nominate a good candidate for a change.

Yes, it means the battle might be tougher for a few more years, but I'd rather openly fight an enemy than support a traitor.

After all, where has all this cooperation and compromise gotten us so far?

Let's nominate and elect someone who will take the fight to the enemy, rather than keep electing those that only put up a weak defense, or worse yet, those that put up no defense at all. Most importantly, we need to remove anyone that actively works against us while claiming to work for us. (I'm looking at you, Wayne LaPierre and Marion Hammer... :mad:)

I know my opinion may not be a popular one, and I will likely catch a lot of flak for it, but I refuse to support these turncoats and traitors. If they want my vote, they need to earn it.

I have a slightly different view of "throwing your vote away". I'd rather face the enemy in front of me than be stabbed in the back by an "ally".

If people keep voting for RINOs that constantly throw us under the bus, what incentive do the RINOs have to ever change their ways? Sometimes it might take losing an election before the party realizes that we don't want, and won't support, the lesser of two evils. If they want my vote, they need to nominate a good candidate for a change.

Yes, it means the battle might be tougher for a few more years, but I'd rather openly fight an enemy than support a traitor.

After all, where has all this cooperation and compromise gotten us so far?

Let's nominate and elect someone who will take the fight to the enemy, rather than keep electing those that only put up a weak defense, or worse yet, those that put up no defense at all. Most importantly, we need to remove anyone that actively works against us while claiming to work for us. (I'm looking at you, Wayne LaPierre and Marion Hammer... :mad:)

I know my opinion may not be a popular one, and I will likely catch a lot of flak for it, but I refuse to support these turncoats and traitors. If they want my vote, they need to earn it.
I know it sucks to see someone you voted for then seem like the "other side" but there is no other choice. In almost every election there is one of two people who are going to win. Gun owners keep choosing to let the worst one win. There is no sugar coating for this.
I am NOT telling others how to vote. I fully expect to see CA type gun laws here in the next decade or so if i'm still around. I pretty much have just figured it is what it is and I can't change it. So I will roll with it best I can. I am pretty sure I will not live long enough to see UK type gun laws here so I will have something. Do feel bad for my kids who well may see that kind of gun control. So far gun owners seem to be just "I don't care" about this. I kept thinking they would wake up but any more I am not really expecting it. Too many of them, even here, support more gun laws. Even though they have to know the laws do nothing to the dobads, only effect the law abiding. Too many gun owners love compromise. <shrug>

The time has come and gone for talking about getting voters engaged.
The time for holding politicians feet to the fire is over.

We have the elected officials we have, and they aren't going away anytime soon.

We will mirror California THIS bubblegumING YEAR if this stuff passes. Not someday, NOW.

THIS WILL BE LAW BEFORE THE NEXT ELECTION.

So blustering about politicians is pointless.

The only thing you have left is to show up at rallies, start rallies, go to the committee hearings, etc.

Because that is all.

We can hope the courts will see things our way... But we don't see the SCOTUS doing anything about assault weapon bans anywhere else... Why suddenly are they going to take on Washington state?

We're on our own here.

Conservative voter apathy, Republican party ambivalence, NRA complacency have come together over the last 10 years or so and this is the end result.

We are just another abbreviation on the 'not available in ...' list now.

Go fight it. But don't hold your breath.

We lost and mostly have ourselves to blame...

Here's the bill. This, plus 1639 effectively ends all semiautomatic rifle sales and transfers forever. Under 1639, you can't sell them out of state. Neither can gun dealers.

Washington State Legislature
As with all gun laws many will never know it went in, if it does, until it effect them one day. Then they will scream and blame others when they had no idea this was even put in. Anyone who was around when the Federal check went in for long guns saw it. That first Christmas stores like K-Mart were hearing shocked and angry customers trying to buy a .22 rifle. They had no idea "some new law" had gone in meaning they could not just fill out a form and buy the rifle. Nothing changes.

So dont vote because there arent any good candidates? Or, how do you propose to elevate someone to the level of being electable. No flak, serious question.
I vote for whoever I feel is the best candidate, even if that candidate has no chance of winning. I'd rather show my support for an "also ran" than support the traiters that the party establishment keeps trying to give us.

I'm sick and tired of the Republican Party thinking that I'm dumb enough to just vote for whoever they tell me to. They seem to think that I don't remember history, and will ignore someone's established voting record just based on their recomendation.

Remember when they tried to portray McCain as our knight in shining armor, and the savior of the conservative party? I remember.

Remember when they did the same for Romney? I remember.

The Republican Party has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory more times than I can count, so much so that I truly think it's deliberate, and they continue to try to pull the wool over my eyes. Meanwhile, they actively oppose any good candidates we might have, while giving us moderates and RINOs instead. Worst of all, they keep trying to convince me it's for my own good.

How many times have you heard someone say they would have rather voted for a 3rd party, but didn't want to throw their vote away? If everyone who felt that way had the courage to vote for the better candidate, rather than support the one they think has the best chance of winning, I think the numbers would be surprising. More importantly, it would send a message to the Republican Party that we will no longer blindly accept their status quo.

I'm to the point where I'd rather see everything burnt to the ground rather than continue supporting these wolves in sheep's clothing. At least then we would have a chance to rebuild, whereas now we only continue to vote ourselves into bondage.

I vote for whoever I feel is the best candidate, even if that candidate has no chance of winning. I'd rather show my support for an "also ran" than support the traiters that the party establishment keeps trying to give us.
This means you voted for gun control. Not saying you are wrong, just reality. You voted for Kate twice now then, so you get Kate. Living in WA I often vote for someone with a D next to their name. Often the only one who can win has a D. There is still a worse choice between 2 who have a D. Gun owners are making the choice for more gun laws every two years. So hope they enjoy it, they voted for it.
<shrug>

At one time you could buy or even mail order the then current US service rifle right to your home...One was even encouraged to do so , without fear or worry of what someone thought of you...All with no background check or FFL Dealer.
I'm talking about the 1903 Springfield rifle...

In my reading of history , during the time that one could have mail ordered , directly to your home , a 1903 Springfield...
I haven't heard or read of crime sprees , higher murder rates , robberies , etc committed with these rifles or by the abuse of this way of owning a then current service rifle.
Please note that I am not saying that crime did not happen or that someone did not use one of these rifles to commit a crime...

I am saying that at one time a then current issued military rifle was easily available and there was no huge rise in crime with its use...
And that this availability of a actual issued rifle , posed no danger to the general public.

Even earlier , during the 18th and 19th centuries , one could be fined for showing up to Militia Muster with a firearm that was not up to Military Service , or even if you showed up , with a inadequate number of cartridges.

I find it sad that today , people feel that we can not be trusted with a semi auto only copy of a issue military rifle or many other types of semi auto rifles , any amount of ammo which "they" deem unnecessary along with magazine restrictions etc... When as I have said above , having a actual currently issued military rifle , well stocked with the ammo for it , was looked on with favor or even required.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads