JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I did a few private transfers it was only on the transfer fee, not whatever I paid for the gun, shop didn't care, a few didn't want money exchanged on their property though. Haven't done anything since 1639 passed though, but I don't recall that being part of it, primarily everything was about semi-auto rifles.

In state transfers between private parties, there is no sales tax collected.

Out of state transfers sales tax is collected on the sales price, provided a receipt or invoice is supplied for the sale, otherwise it is collected on the common street/retail price.

Long story short I've got a private gun raffle group I belong to and have won numerous guns, these come with no invoices or receipts but ship from an out of state FFL. I've had a lot of conversations about this with the FFL I use for incoming transfers, and they are sharp when it comes to this stuff.

As a side note, be very careful if you buy things like AR lowers on a special promo deal where its multiple for a set price. I use the FFL I'm using now after another nearby FFL screwed me on such a deal. 2 years ago on a Black Friday special a company out of state had AR10/308 lowers on a special of 3 for $150 ($50 each). I bought the 3-pack. The invoice was worded in a way that left a tiny bit of wiggle room. Quantity was "1" because it was One 3-pack. The description line showed in words "Package of 3 AR10 lowers - Raw" and the price each was $150 and the total price was $150. The receiving FFL couldn't get it through their head that I paid $150 for all 3 in total, not $150 each and charged me sales tax on $450 and not on $150. Round and round I went but basically they said they were doing me a favor even accepting the transfer and they had to error on the side of caution when it involved the state. Just prior to that I had a raffle win, a Canik TP9, MSRP was right around $599 and street price averaged $485 and the lowest price I could find was a local price at Sportco at $399 (had them print the page and brought it with me) they charged me tax on the $599 MSRP.

Later found out that you only had to demonstrate i.e. by printing the page from a website or an advertisement, a retail price it is available at within the state. Needless to say those two incidents led to me finding a new FFL and I couldn't be happier for it.

For private sales in WA, the FFL is not required to collect tax. This was part of 594 background check initiative. It does not relieve the buyer from obligation of use tax (that's what it is actually called) unless you can get proof from the seller that WA tax was paid when they bought the firearm. 594 just says the FFL doesn't have to collect it. So yes, when I do private sale transfers, I don't want to know anything about money. So be a good boy and voluntarily report your private purchases to the state so they can have their pound of flesh.......... ;):s0141:!

There is no sales tax on the transfer fee. I know this from filing my state return and was audited by the state in 2017 and that was confirmed.

How old is the .22? Seems it would simply come home with you if it was older than the passing of 1639. State has no way of knowing if your family member didn't give you part of your inheritance earlier.

This get's in federal law issues to though of transferring across state lines, but it would seem unless it is a prohibited item in the state you live, a family member should be able to give you something without issue. Not a lawyer, advice is not legal advice, merely what makes sense.

The 10/22 is hypothetical. I just went thru the process of making wills and learned that you can leave specific firearms to a named person in a will and Federally the named person can just take the guns home. State laws still apply tho. and the Federal law requires you to follow state law. So if I understand the attorney correctly, in WA someone can just go pick up non-semi auto long guns from the the out of state executor and thats that. However for pistols and semi auto long guns they have to do a transfer in WA with all the hassles of background/medical checks and for the semi's the class.

What I do not know is if sales tax (or use tax) applies. If it does, do you also need to pay for an appraisal? Local place charges $60 for appraisals. Seems like you could end up paying nearly as much as the gun is worth on a cheap gun if that is so what with transfer, shipping, appraisal and sales tax.

The 10/22 is hypothetical. I just went thru the process of making wills and learned that you can leave specific firearms to a named person in a will and Federally the named person can just take the guns home. State laws still apply tho. and the Federal law requires you to follow state law. So if I understand the attorney correctly, in WA someone can just go pick up non-semi auto long guns from the the out of state executor and thats that. However for pistols and semi auto long guns they have to do a transfer in WA with all the hassles of background/medical checks and for the semi's the class.

What I do not know is if sales tax (or use tax) applies. If it does, do you also need to pay for an appraisal? Local place charges $60 for appraisals. Seems like you could end up paying nearly as much as the gun is worth on a cheap gun if that is so what with transfer, shipping, appraisal and sales tax.

I wish you luck, this in my mind would be far simpler. :)

There is no use tax on these types of transfers (inheritance) nor on gifts. I'm a practicing CPA in WA and OR.

I think you are supposed to report the sale for any money collected on your tax return. However, I don't believe abyone really does that for things like guns and cars.

That is what my FFL does when I place an order. He wants a copy of my invoice to show that I paid sales tax the he charges for the transfer. If I have him order the items he charges me sales tax plus a transfer fee.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top