JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

From the article:
"Earlier this year, in a ruling of first impression in Washington State, the Kitsap County District Court decided that the state's compulsory "firearm surrender" laws violated the Fourth and Fifth Amendments and the analogous provisions in the state constitution. "In our constitutional system of government, individuals have rights that the government and its agents (including courts) must respect. Among those rights are the right to be free from compelled self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment, the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures under the Fourth Amendment, and their counterparts under Washington's constitution."

Great news but it says the compliance testimony and posession of the weapon even to comply with the surrender order were unconstitutional. They can add a clause for temporary posession during the course of surrender and find another way to confirm compliance like a warrant.

This is no slam dunk if they change the law which they likely will...

A victory but a small and likely temporary one. They're not just gonna say ok we give up. This is an easy change to the legislation to make it constitutional, unfortunately.

I have been in homes where it was very clear to me that a husband/boyfriend gave his wife/girlfriend a beating. But back in my day, unless I witnessed it, I could do nothing except encourage the female to get out and away before the violence escalated. I wish I were smart enough to figure out a way to get guns out of the hands of the violent, psychopathic, clinically depressed, etc. without infringing on the rights of other gun owners. I sometimes think that requiring every adult to carry and know how to use a handgun might serve as more of a deterrent to domestic violence than PSA's.

Having been a "victim" of this same sort of thing in Hawaii (i.e.: a TRO issued by a Judge on just words/claims of an ex-GF and having your collection and ammo taken).

Well.....good luck because it's just the start of "BOHICA".

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I give a big one-fingered salute to Bill CLINTON for his part in this.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top