JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to be pessimistic to the core, but with Trump's victory, and the rabble's continuing street tantrums nationwide, a lot of people of various stripes seem to want guns right now. I am starting to think that these bills turned to initiatives could actually lose. It may be slim, but a loss.

I have noticed even in Washington state, a growing distrust for those in charge among their former supporters. A lot of liberals own guns. 594 was different: most liberal gun owners seem OK with having to do background checks on everything. They are usually going to buy their guns new, so they expect to do it anyway. They are not OK with being told that they cannot have XYZ, because although they prefer others not have them, liberal gun owners want all of the same stuff that we do.

They may especially want it if things continue to worsen with various protests around Seattle, and someone gets their windows smashed during some riot for driving too nice of a car, etc. It can and it has happened in other cities recently.. Not a good time to be pushing big gun control bills.

It may be naive but I'm hopeful this is the case

I tried to make the meeting this morning but arrived late & was not going to walk at least a 1/2 in cowboy boots.

I was really wanting to meet the new NRA Grassroots Coordinator in Washington, Ben Carpenter. There was a meeting at 10 am this morning, here is the e-mail I received:

"This Thursday, February 2nd, the House Judiciary Committee is scheduled to hear House Bill 1387 and House Bill 1122. Your NRA will be hosting a meeting on these proposed bills at the Capitol in Olympia at 10:00 a.m. Thursday to discuss the bills, receive handouts with talking points to take to legislators, and to hear some tips on effectively influencing gun laws."

Ben Carpenter
Washington Grassroots Field Coordinator

[email protected]
http://www.nrailafrontlines.com/

I just watched the whole thing and it was disgusting to see LEO officials and the State Attorney General flat out LIE.
- First lie from AG: When buying a pistol you have to undergo a stringent background check, but when buying a "Assault weapon" the only background check you undergo is done by the gun shop

- Second lie by a state Leo investigator: you can walk into any store and walk out with a gun that was designed to hunt and kill humans with no questions asked

This mentality by politicians and sycophants that you must win at all cost so there is no rule or obligations to be honest is DISGUSTING! Shame on them and the people who support the tactics. The real Nazis.
The left is on a rampage, beat them back by sheer volume, work at exposing them publicly... They need to be exposed for the lies they tell...

Connecticut Gun Owners: "Come and Get Them!"

The linked news article is a couple years old but is a quick read and relevant to our struggle. The long and short of it becomes put up or shut up.
The government in Connecticut put their law enforcement agencies in a very precarious place. I know there are law enforcement men and women on this forum and hopefully they will come by and weigh in on this.

It is one thing to wave a pen and say "this is the law", it is entirely another to execute it.

~Whitney
http://finance.townhall.com/columni...ecticut-gun-owners-come-and-get-them-n1803704

Thank you Guitarguy for sounding the alarm on this. While I reside in Oregon I understand that protecting our constitutional rights is a national matter and one that I take very seriously. It makes me sick to my stomach to see men and women whom have sworn an oath to protect the very thing they are clearly destroying.

ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL. I don't have enough rope to accomplish what I'd like to do with these people.

What are some ways that we all here can prevent this type of legislation from becoming reality?

I have been looking at this;

https://www.usps.com/business/political-mail.htm

Political Mail is an easy and cost-effective way to create material promoting political candidates, referenda, or campaigns. Political Mail may be sent from a political candidate, federal, state or local campaign committee, or political party.

The idea would be analogues to the NRA flyers members receive in the mail.

~Whitney

Question to our legal-pro members like @WALawyer : When a lawyer is caught blatantly and publicly lying before a legislative body or committee thereof, are there any avenues for disciplinary action from the Bar Association's Ethics Committee?

And can the Legislature take any action against someone lying in testimony to them?

Thinking: Going after Ferguson's law license (and by extension, his office) directly should be a wake-up call...

It's BS from the first two words......(27)Assault weapon means.........NONE OF MY SEMI-AUTO RIFLES IS AN ASSAULT RIFLE BY US MILITARY DEFINITION, PERIOD! The definition of assault rifles is the capability of selective fire. It is already illegal to privately own an "ASSAULT RIFLE" in Washington.

A definition is whatever the governing body that makes laws defines it as. Nowhere in US legal code does it define an assault rifle as select fire. If anything the '94 ban made it pretty clear what an assault weapon/rifle as defined by the government is.

Question to our legal-pro members like @WALawyer : When a lawyer is caught blatantly and publicly lying before a legislative body or committee thereof, are there any avenues for disciplinary action from the Bar Association's Ethics Committee?

And can the Legislature take any action against someone lying in testimony to them?

Thinking: Going after Ferguson's law license (and by extension, his office) directly should be a wake-up call...

RPC 4.1 may be relevant: Washington State Courts - Court Rules

RPC 8.4 may also be relevant: Washington State Courts - Court Rules

I've thankfully never been disciplined, so I don't know the exact process, and I also don't know how seriously the Bar would take such a complaint. Based on what I've heard from other attorneys, the Bar mostly just cares about lawyers misplacing client money and little else.

The legislature can hold someone in contempt if they are lying under oath, but the real problem here is the word "lying" and how subjective it can be.

Thanks, amigo. So the operative words are "Under Oath" (which is also potentially Criminal Perjury IIRC, though I only did the one or two law classes required for my Business degree), but hearings on bills aren't considered "sworn testimony."

A definition is whatever the governing body that makes laws defines it as. Nowhere in US legal code does it define an assault rifle as select fire. If anything the '94 ban made it pretty clear what an assault weapon/rifle as defined by the government is.

US Military definition of assault rifle IS a selective fire weapon

True, but if the Legislature decides to declare a tomato a "vegetable" for purposes of a law even though it's scientifically a fruit, they can do so--in fact Congress did and SCOTUS still upholds exactly that case, stupid and in need of Gibbs-slap as it is.

Facts don't matter, only "in the eyes of the law." :(

Where and So? That has nothing to do with laws Congress passes that apply to everyone else. If Congress defined said tomato as an assault rifle it would be an assault rifle under US law. What the military calls a tomato is immaterial.

Last Edited:
56126ec4a98c8659a46e50ff204eacfe.jpg

Asking you all to take a hop over to a thread about SB5050. Pretty good discussion about what some members are defining as assault weapons as opposed to what some legislators are.
Thanks Whitney:)

I was there in the overflow gallery and watched the entire event in that room. I just submitted the following grievance against our Attorney General for lying to the House Judiciary Committee. I strongly encourage anyone so inclined, to file grievances against this lying oathbreaker - there is an online grievance form on the WA Bar Association site. I will also file one against the Snohomish County prosecutor for his lies, too.

Attorney General Ferguson, in testimony provided to the Washington State House Judiciary Committee, on Thursday February 2nd 2017 did state that when a rifle is purchased in Washington State, the background check is performed by the dealer, not by a law enforcement agency. He was comparing this to a background check performed in Washington State, regarding a handgun purchase. This statement regarding the rifle purchase is a lie as the background check is performed via the NICS (National Instant Check System), in both cases (handgun purchase or rifle purchase). The NICS check, is performed by the FBI. For the Washington State Attorney General to tell such a lie to the Washington State House Judiciary Committee, regarding bills (HB 1122 and HB 1134) before the Washington State Legislature, is unconscionable and is clearly an ethics violation. I witnessed this behavior from the overflow gallery in the Legislative Building, as it occurred.

I might suggest that our members who were there both follow @hammondo 's lead, and encourage non-NWFA-members they know who attended to do same.

While the Bar's general attitude is "we mainly care about stealing from clients and not much else," if enough complaints come in they may be forced to act. Especially if any barristers among us join the party...

Bring The Rain and melt the phones!

HOLLY WTF...
(v) A flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, or muzzle compensator;

This just made every one of my rifles an Assault Rifle
Even my bolt actions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews