JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you are a resident of the state of Washington, there is a little known state agency, entitled the Washington Wildlife and Recreation Program. This program gives away money in the form of grants to individuals or groups that submit grant applications for outdoor activities. Many years ago, I submitted a grant request for $400,000 for the revitalization of a particular boat launch so that it would better serve this anglers with physical handicaps. The grant was approved and the amount doubled.
We need a public shooting area in SW Washington that would take care of the needs of High Power Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun and Small Bore Rifle and Pistol shooters. I also think that archery should be included in a facility. If there is anyone that is willing to chair a committee to begin the process, I would be willing to offer input as to the entire process and project. It is an involved process, but with the right grant writer and public support, I believe that it can be done. I am aware of available public land and public officials that would offer support.

Good idea. Not much to contribute beyond wishing luck and spitballing ideas though. Sounds like something that the state NRA Coordinator should be able to support if he was interested in doing his job...

I am reluctant to be the Chair but I am willing to lend my support.
I am thinking this would have to be a pretty big project and would need employees to run such a facility which means ongoing funding and/or charging for use of the facility.
I sure would like a place to shoot at longer ranges than 100 yards.

ETA: And Insurance too!

Looks like there is a 25% match requirement. Maybe a rural landowner would donate the land as the match? Or the NRA could donate a few bucks to buy a 500 yd x 100 yd plot. Maybe if the donation was made to the Scouts it would be tax deductible?

Clark Rifles is good out to 300 yards if you can stand the 30 minute drive to the burgeoning metropolis of Brush Prairie ;)
I was led to believe you have to be a member to shoot there.
And they aren't taking new members these days. You have to wait till someone dies or resigns their membership

I don't know what the present deal is with Clark Rifles as far as gaining membership goes. It is correct that only members and accompanied guests may shoot there, and some LEO regardless.

I applied for membership when the waiting list was 3 years, that seemed like an eternity back then, out of the blue, application received, membership commenced. Things come and go in the shooting world; if an opportunity to apply comes up, I'd suggest taking it. At one point I saw a less than 6 month waiting list. Getting on a wait list costs nothing other than time.

I'll ask the club and post back with particulars.

I am reluctant to be the Chair but I am willing to lend my support.
I am thinking this would have to be a pretty big project and would need employees to run such a facility which means ongoing funding and/or charging for use of the facility.
I sure would like a place to shoot at longer ranges than 100 yards.

ETA: And Insurance too!
You are correct on all accounts. If a non-profit LLC were established then appropriate fees could be charged to man and maintain a facility. Imagine a regional shooting facility that held competitions? Folks would come from far away and spend some money at local hotels and restaurants. I'd love to see something like that happen.

This is the appropriate link to the RCO you're looking for. It's for the FARR grant program (Firearms and Archery Range Recreation program). Since I'm on the FARR advisory board, I can't head up your idea at this time. Perhaps when my term is over, (Dec, 2023), I can get involved in that via the Trash No Land nonprofit organization. There may be other ways I can help. I'll look in to that.

Bill

Firearms and Archery Range Recreation Program - RCO

Camp Bonneville would be my choice for a location. Part is owned by Clark County Parks and the larger area is Clark County Public Works. There has been talk of trying to do a shooting range there.

Interesting concept to explore, count me in on the initial brainstorming and potentially more involvement along the way. Perhaps we can pick a date in the not too distant future and enlist someone who knows how to set up Zoom calls and a number of folks could conference call and see what might happen?

Who would be interested in that conversation?

The FARR program accepts grant applications every 2 years. Deadline for this go round ends this 1st week in Nov. Next opportunity will be in 2022. There would be a lot to do before the application but it could be done by then.

Grant max is $150,000 and match is 50%. Details are in the FARR link above.

Certainly, I'm interested in the conversation.

I don't hold much hope of a public access range at Camp Bonneville. There are too many non-shooting interest groups than are drooling over that land. Shooters are vastly out numbered here.

Clark Rifles is good out to 300 yards if you can stand the 30 minute drive to the burgeoning metropolis of Brush Prairie ;)
We are no longer accepting applications to join Clark rifles. There is currently a 3 year waiting list. We will again open the application process when the waiting list gets back to one year

There has been some variation of this message since I moved her years ago. Better chance of winning the lottery.

We are no longer accepting applications to join Clark rifles. There is currently a 3 year waiting list. We will again open the application process when the waiting list gets back to one year

There has been some variation of this message since I moved her years ago. Better chance of winning the lottery.

It helps to know a current member and have them sponsor you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top