JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, in all 50 states a person must take possession of handguns and frames from an FFL in their state of residence. There are some exceptions but they rarely apply. As for the ban on importing magazines into WA , that's a different subject.

No, in all 50 states a person must take possession of handguns and frames from an FFL in their state of residence. There are some exceptions but they rarely apply. As for the ban on importing magazines into WA , that's a different subject.
Ok, thanks for that! What if one were to ship a pistol which can accept standard capacity mags to the buyer's FFL in WA without any mags would the FFL allow it on the assumption the new owner will provide themselves with compliant magazines?

Ok, thanks for that! What if one were to ship a pistol which can accept standard capacity mags to the buyer's FFL in WA without any mags would the FFL allow it on the assumption the new owner will provide themselves with compliant magazines?
Yup.

Whenever i sell a pistol/firearm to someone out of my state, I have to understand the laws/firearms laws of the state of the FFL I'm shipping to. As such there are times when I can ship the firearm but not the magazines to the FFL because of magazine capacity restrictions. Maryland comes to mind as my most recent where I advertised for sale a pistol with 17 round magazines and the eventual buyer was in Maryland and I shipped the pistol sans magazines because Maryland has a 10-Rd magazine capacity law.

It's not a problem to buy a pistol from out of your state of residency that is a semi-auto handgun PROVIDING that it either ships to your FFL dealer in WA with a 10 round OR less capacity magazines into WA State , ORRRR it ships to your FFL into WA State with No magazine in, or with, the Handgun.

Because if the pistol came into WA state after the magazine ban took affect in WA, it would be considered " importing " it into WA State as well as " transferring " it since you would be buying it and doing the paper work through your WA STATE FFL dealer which would be a legal NO-NO for now until they get this unconstitutional stuff all over-turned.

That's how that goes now that the magazine ban went I to effect as of July 1st, 2022.

... Because if the pistol came into WA state after the magazine ban took affect in WA, it would be considered " importing " it into WA State as well as " transferring " it since you would be buying it and doing the paper work through your WA STATE FFL dealer which would be a legal NO-NO for now until they get this unconstitutional stuff all over-turned.
I assume this means shipping to the FFL without the magazines is okay?

I could add though not to expect a price break. I don't know from personal experience, but I've often heard it seems to be common practice to be charged the same price with or without a normally included accessory. It's sold as a unit, is their excuse, even though everyone knows they are just going to sell that standard mag for additional profit.

I've haven't heard from anyone that's said they've actually been denied a purchase for requesting the mag/s removed, but maybe some high volume retailers might if they decide it's not worth the bother(?) It seems rather to their advantage to be accomodating and make some extra coin off your mag... you would think.

I could add though not to expect a price break. I don't know from personal experience, but I've often heard it seems to be common practice to be charged the same price with or without a normally included accessory. It's sold as a unit, is their excuse, even though everyone knows they are just going to sell that standard mag for additional profit.

I've haven't heard from anyone that's said they've actually been denied a purchase for requesting the mag/s removed, but maybe some high volume retailers might if they decide it's not worth the bother(?) It seems rather to their advantage to be accomodating and make some extra coin off your mag... you would think.
I appreciate what you're saying here. Actually I'm an Oregon resident so I'd actually be on the other end of this transaction should it occur. Let's hope the courts strike these tyrannical laws down sooner rather than later.

Whenever i sell a pistol/firearm to someone out of my state, I have to understand the laws/firearms laws of the state of the FFL I'm shipping to. As such there are times when I can ship the firearm but not the magazines to the FFL because of magazine capacity restrictions. Maryland comes to mind as my most recent where I advertised for sale a pistol with 17 round magazines and the eventual buyer was in Maryland and I shipped the pistol sans magazines because Maryland has a 10-Rd magazine capacity law.
I believe I have 10 rd mags for all my guns that take mags. Just in case I want to travel thru a 10 rd state with the gun.

Selling magazines separately, from a mag-ban firearm sale, often times is losing money, maybe not for a gun shop, but for an individual yes. It takes additional time and expense to list, ship reasonably, and etc. if it even sells. And if it's an obscure magazine or used, may as well not even bother.

Hi! I'm in WA. Thanks for this clarifying discussion. A couple of handguns I'm interested in are in OR and are being sold with higher capacity magazines, (ie, 15 rnd), so, if I have the weapon transferred through an FFL without the mags I'm good right?

Hi! I'm in WA. Thanks for this clarifying discussion. A couple of handguns I'm interested in are in OR and are being sold with higher capacity magazines, (ie, 15 rnd), so, if I have the weapon transferred through an FFL without the mags I'm good right?
Yup. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads