JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone. Got into a conversation with some friends about Washington residents open carrying in Oregon. I would not do it myself, and I know Oregon doesn't except Washingtons CCP so I would think Washington residents could not open carry in Oregon.

Let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks much to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There have been a few posts on this. The quick and dirty answer, is yes, BUT there are some exceptions. there is NO open carry in Portland or Salem, possibly some other places.

With that being said, I'm not a lawyer, do some searching of the boards and read some websites.

I believe there is one called Opencarry.org with some good information.

OK..... So I have been stopped in both Portland and Beaverton for OC. I do have a valid Washington Co. CHL and because I do I can and am able to OC or CC. Portland, Beaverton, Salem, and a few other places have city or county laws that say you can't open carry (only with a CHL/CPL you can). Here is the stupid part..... from what I have heard, in Portland you can open carry but the firearm must be empty, and the magazine has to be empty and the ammo has to be away from the magazine. If you have a revolver the cylinder has to be empty and ammo put away..... I assume the empty mag in one pocket and the ammo in a different pocket or bag etc.
These officers in both Portland and Beaverton that made contact with me were under the impression that a person with a CHL still could not OC. I simply quoted State laws to the officers and they backed off. Portland Police came up to me at a later time and asked for my license and took my info down..... the next day a Sheriff deputy contacted me via phone and wanted me to explain to him why I had the run in with Portland Police. I simply explained to him that I was just open carrying and that it was my right to do so because I did have a valid CHL..... Nothing came out of it but I just found it weird that a county that issued me the license didn't even know about the laws when it came down to it.
As an American you should be able to open carry in public places, the county or city should not be making such stupid laws but they do and will do in the future and that is a shame. What criminal is going to open carry a firearm in public? I know I wouldn't if I was a bad guy. I have contacted Washington State Police and asked them if I as an Oregon resident with a valid CHL was able to at least open carry and I was told in a rude way NO!!!!! Maybe it's time to get my Utah license but I don't really travel much to WA so I am not worried about it, but I think it's a shame.

I have contacted Washington State Police and asked them if I as an Oregon resident with a valid CHL was able to at least open carry and I was told in a rude way NO!!

WA is an open carry state, no matter what state your residence is, why would the State Patrol not know that? The law makes no distinction between WA residents and visitors. What's legal for WA residents is legal for non-residents unless specifically stated otherwise (concealed carry for instance)

From opencarry.org:

"Washington State follows British legal tradition, which states that anything that is not proscribed as unlawful is lawful"

"This is not to say that all forms of open carry are lawful. The key word is "peaceable". If your pistol is in a holster, and you're generally not touching it or making gripping movements (except of course, in an actual act of self defense), or opening a coat to expose your pistol to intimidate someone to do something, then the current body of case law (State vs. Casad, State v. Spencer) generally makes such carry lawful."

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

Well I guess I just won't contact the WSP and ask questions because they don't even know the laws. To be fair I don't expect them to know every law and it is up to me to find the truth........ thanks.

OK..... So I have been stopped in both Portland and Beaverton for OC. I do have a valid Washington Co. CHL and because I do I can and am able to OC or CC. Portland, Beaverton, Salem, and a few other places have city or county laws that say you can't open carry (only with a CHL/CPL you can). Here is the stupid part..... from what I have heard, in Portland you can open carry but the firearm must be empty, and the magazine has to be empty and the ammo has to be away from the magazine. If you have a revolver the cylinder has to be empty and ammo put away..... I assume the empty mag in one pocket and the ammo in a different pocket or bag etc.
These officers in both Portland and Beaverton that made contact with me were under the impression that a person with a CHL still could not OC. I simply quoted State laws to the officers and they backed off. Portland Police came up to me at a later time and asked for my license and took my info down..... the next day a Sheriff deputy contacted me via phone and wanted me to explain to him why I had the run in with Portland Police. I simply explained to him that I was just open carrying and that it was my right to do so because I did have a valid CHL..... Nothing came out of it but I just found it weird that a county that issued me the license didn't even know about the laws when it came down to it.
As an American you should be able to open carry in public places, the county or city should not be making such stupid laws but they do and will do in the future and that is a shame. What criminal is going to open carry a firearm in public? I know I wouldn't if I was a bad guy. I have contacted Washington State Police and asked them if I as an Oregon resident with a valid CHL was able to at least open carry and I was told in a rude way NO!!!!! Maybe it's time to get my Utah license but I don't really travel much to WA so I am not worried about it, but I think it's a shame.

At any time did you feel that your right was 'infringed'??
:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads