JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
I'm looking for advice on how to get a conceal carry in oregon. I'm from Washington and work in oregon every day and want to be able to legally carry my firearm with me when I can. Any county's willing to give an out of state resident a conceal carry permit? Thank you

Hello,
I'm looking for advice on how to get a conceal carry in oregon. I'm from Washington and work in oregon every day and want to be able to legally carry my firearm with me when I can. Any county's willing to give an out of state resident a conceal carry permit? Thank you
Any border county to Washington can issue a carry permit for you. I believe, trust guy verify as they may have changed this, you can still get your safety course online. I would avoid MultCo like the plague.

Any border county to Washington can issue a carry permit for you. I believe, trust guy verify as they may have changed this, you can still get your safety course online. I would avoid MultCo like the plague.
That's the problem, I live in Vancouver and work in portland. That's mainly the reason I want to carry, things are way out of control here. I figured any eastern OR county's would be willing to work with me. But also wanting to see if anyone had any good experiences with a particular one.

That's the problem, I live in Vancouver and work in portland. That's mainly the reason I want to carry, things are way out of control here. I figured any eastern OR county's would be willing to work with me. But also wanting to see if anyone had any good experiences with a particular one.
I recommend Columbia or Hood River County over MultCo. An hour drive will save you months on your permit. Legally, the state requires counties to issue permits within 90 days (trust but verify). MultCo would rather not comply, so they issue their permit within the window AFTER you have your fingerprint appointment, which could be months out.

With Covid, all counties are likely backed up, but MultCo is a pretty bad offender. On a side note, I just got my Utah permit in a month and a half as opposed to their 60 day requirement. Good luck, and be safe in PDX, it's a warzone.

Sherman County Sheriff is very Pro 2A and is happy to help out of state applicants. Also, this from their Facebook page on Sept. 2nd.

"With The passage of senate bill 554 during the 2021 Oregon legislative session, fees for Concealed Handgun Licenses (CHL) will be increasing across Oregon (not here).

Starting on September 27, 2021; The current fee of $65 for a new CHL Will increase to $115. The fee includes the required fingerprint fee. The renewal fee will increase from $50 to $75.

As your Sheriff, I am happy to announce that I will not increase any fees. Now is not the time to ask our hard working taxpayers to pay more money. Our current CHL fees will remain as is.

I currently do not charge a renewal fee for Sherman County residences. I have no intention to change that."

Sherman County Sheriff is very Pro 2A and is happy to help out of state applicants. Also, this from their Facebook page on Sept. 2nd.

"With The passage of senate bill 554 during the 2021 Oregon legislative session, fees for Concealed Handgun Licenses (CHL) will be increasing across Oregon (not here).

Starting on September 27, 2021; The current fee of $65 for a new CHL Will increase to $115. The fee includes the required fingerprint fee. The renewal fee will increase from $50 to $75.

As your Sheriff, I am happy to announce that I will not increase any fees. Now is not the time to ask our hard working taxpayers to pay more money. Our current CHL fees will remain as is.

I currently do not charge a renewal fee for Sherman County residences. I have no intention to change that."
I'd say that's your ticket.

Sherman County won't make you wait. Get everything you need, call them up and find out when you can come in. Enjoy the drive through the Gorge, take exit 97 at Celilo and take Hwy 206 to Van Gilder Rd to Moro and enjoy the scenery. Watch for Deer and Antelope and remember, if you hit one on accident, you can get a roadkill permit in Oregon. :)

She will mail you your license when it is done so you won't have to come back.

No
It's the whole thing.
Just reported to me yesterday.
Sample of one.
Who reported that? Out of curiosity, I am called them, if you were to submit an application today, you would have an appointment in mid January. After your appointment, you'll expect 90 days for the approval. MultCo hasn't changed since I had mine.

Who reported that? Out of curiosity, I am called them, if you were to submit an application today, you would have an appointment in mid January. After your appointment, you'll expect 90 days for the approval. MultCo hasn't changed since I had mine.
Shooting buddy.
Just put it in his wallet yesterday.
Avoid Multnomah County if possible.

Run for PRESIDENT! PLEASE!

Try Washington County OR. Worth a phone call. From their Website FAQ.

R) Can I apply for an Oregon license issued by Washington County if I live in another state?

Oregon law states that a sheriff may waive the residency requirement for a resident of a contiguous state that has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. Washington County may consider your application if you live in a contiguous state, meet all the requirements, and write a letter stating a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need that exhibits a correlation to Washington County. Your statement must be submitted with your completed application.

They also accept the online Oregon State Sheriff Association course. Good luck and let us know what you come up with. I doubt you're the only one thinking about this. (and as an OR resident, thanks for your income tax donation ;))

Hello,
Thank you for posting this. my wife and I are live in Washington but are in Oregon a lot. And Portland has definitely devolved.

Let me check with our civil deputy, but I believe you can make an appointment, and assuming you bring everything required by the application and pass the background, you can leave with your permit. It would be a bit of a drive but it'll save you months for the permit process.
Grant County Sheriff's Office in Canyon City.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top