JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Currently have WA carry permet, last time I tried to apply in OR, they wouldn't issue to permanent resident people. Still same?
Oregon will issue a non-resident permit to resident aliens (green card holders) and has for at least a dozen years, as that is when I helped a green card holding friend get his.

Well, after a good half year of waiting, my Oregon CHL showed up in my mailbox today!:s0115: I would recommend Columbia County Sheriff's Office to any Washingtonian looking to carry legally in Oregon. The wait time for the appointment was a little much but Im stoked the wait is over.
Started the process with Columbia County first of June. A lot of hoops, some info on the website is wonky, 3rd party website to "test" my knowlege, pass, wait for those docs to get mailed to me. Submit those docs with multiple forms of ID and some other documents plus the fee. Their is a rule where you must complete the application process in a certain amount of time, or get denied with no refund of fees. Well the fees are right up front of course, then the amount of wait time to get fingerprinted was outside the stated time frame. But in comms by phone and e-mail, the staff has been extremely helpful and friendly. A note to anybody interested- the fingerprint appts are the real bottleneck. The have appts 9am to 1130 am, Tues and Thurs only, very limited. About a 6 week wait for me. And something I found comical: although Oregon does not recognize my Washington pistol license, they demanded a copy of it during my application process. "We don't recognize that document, but we want a copy" lol. Anyway, just some FYI for anybody thinking about it.

Washington County has always been very UNfriendly regarding the issuance on non-resident permits. Multnomah County is the opposite, which is why you will almost universally hear Multnomah recommended over the other Orrgon counties.
Multnomah is slow, though.
For Multnomah county renewal, I'd start the process 3 months out.

I've seen it said that Grant and Sherman counties are "concealed carry friendly".
It's a drive for some folks though.

Oregon will issue a non-resident permit to resident aliens (green card holders) and has for at least a dozen years, as that is when I helped a green card holding friend get his.
it's was 2014 when I was ready to apply.

Already had WA permit and tool OR traning class.

At that time, ONLY Multnomah county will take application from out of state people.

Actually, they were not denying green card holder, but they wanted proof that I am applying for citizenship (paper work / update process) all that stuff.

Even though I could apply for citizenship at that time, It was not on my priority list and I was not going to spend money/time for carry permit.

So I gave up and moved on. Still green card holder with only WA permit.

I should look again, if they changed any term or requirement on that part.

And something I found comical: although Oregon does not recognize my Washington pistol license, they demanded a copy of it during my application process. "We don't recognize that document, but we want a copy" lol. Anyway, just some FYI for anybody thinking about it.
Odd, because it states right on their website otherwise....

1657948138205.png

Odd, because it states right on their website otherwise....

View attachment 1240695
Just whose website are you referring to? When I changed the address and renewed my OR CHL the clerk in the Grant County Sheriff's Office asked if I had any other permits. When I responded yes, she wanted to see them. So I handed her my WA, ID and UT permits which she photo copied. My assumption was that they were going to rely on those permits in lieu of preforming a more extensive background check.

Just whose website are you referring to? When I changed the address and renewed my OR CHL the clerk in the Grant County Sheriff's Office asked if I had any other permits. When I responded yes, she wanted to see them. So I handed her my WA, ID and UT permits which she photo copied. My assumption was that they were going to rely on those permits in lieu of preforming a more extensive background check.
Columbia County per @BrentN 's post #62

While I haven't looked at the regs for every state in the US that issues a non-resident carry permit I have looked at at least a couple dozen.

They all require that a non-resident applicant have a valid resident permit first, if their state of residence issues a permit.

They are not going to issue a permit to someone who can't or won't get a permit in their home state.

Any border county to Washington can issue a carry permit for you. I believe, trust guy verify as they may have changed this, you can still get your safety course online. I would avoid MultCo like the plague.
Why avoid MultCo? I've been renewing my OR CHP in Multnomah Co for years (I live in Washougal) and never had a problem.

Why avoid MultCo? I've been renewing my OR CHP in Multnomah Co for years (I live in Washougal) and never had a problem.
Oregon law requires that counties issue permits within x days, MultCo doesn't start your clock until you have your permit application submission, which is typically months out.

Hummmmmm........I'm guessing.......that since the Bruen Supreme Court decision. Well, yeah. Change comes slowly. Especially when talking about 2nd A RIGHTS.

WAIT, Wait, wait........
Because, OR intends to pile on more UNCONSTITIONAL anti-gun laws on you.

BUT, But, but........
I'm not feeling left out. Because WA will probably do more......to oppress me too.

Aloha, Mark

True, but everywhere else you can mail in or drop off the application, you don't have to wait for an appointment to drop off the application.
You don't at Multnomah either.

Prior to Covid you could apply via mail, drop-off or online.

Once Covid hit they stopped using the first two methods leaving the online portal. So, apply online and you receive your application appointment date in about 10 days. How far out that date is depends on application volume.

No appointment is/was needed for any of the above. Just do it.

You don't at Multnomah either.

Prior to Covid you could apply via mail, drop-off or online.

Once Covid hit they stopped using the first two methods leaving the online portal. So, apply online and you receive your application appointment date in about 10 days. How far out that date is depends on application volume.

No appointment is/was needed for any of the above. Just do it.
My last renewal in Multnomah was literally the day before they closed the sheriffs office because Covid. Now they let you renew online which makes it easier than always having to plan a trip into PDX around my renewal date.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top