JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello!

I'm new to this forum, but was directed to it from the Firing Line forum. As the title says, I'm a non-resident hoping for an Oregon CHL. In the summer, I jump across the WA/OR border frequently, so having both licenses would simplify my life greatly. My limited research indicated that getting a CHL was a matter of paying the fee and waiting for the background check to be completed. Now people are telling me it's not that easy. Some jurisdictions are much more sympathetic than others. I've been steered away from Multnomah County, but I'm wondering if Wasco County (The Dalles) might be a better place to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You have to take a 2 hour class in OR to get a CPL.

Multnomah County Sheriff used to do it every week. I think it was on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings from 6 till 8PM.

Very easy to get for WA residents.

I like the sound of easy! Does the class have to be taken in Oregon? I have a fancy looking certificate from an 8 hour safety class from a range here in Washington. Would that suffice, or does the class relate more to Oregon law rather than to general handgun safety?

I think it needs to be pistol safty class by NRA 4hr min

You're talking about for WA?

Because Oregon CHL is as follows:

(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

--------
The couse that I took that would qualify me for CHL was 2 hrs.

Washington resident here. But I found out Washington county is the best place to go to get it. It took me three weeks to get it. Just be prepared to write a letter stating why you want one. Explain that you visit friends, shop, fish and hunt there and they are very accepting. Good luck.

Scott

Got mine in Clatsop County when the Sheriff would do them for any Washington resident, now that has changed.

I too have heard Washington County is the best option now in the Portland Metro area.

Stay clear of Multnomah County and Clackamas County. Mult. Co. used to be okay when Bernie Guisto was the sheriff, but he was forced out of there and they called Bob Skipper back from retirement. Skipper is no friend of gun owners.

I would go to Washington County if it were me.

Hey all, was hoping since this thread was concentrated on basically washington county, that someone could point me in the right direction for a basic pistol/CHL class somewhere on the westside or WA county? Seems like most of the places I read about here are either far on the east side, or south in the salem area. Was just looking for a decent basic class for the wife and I to take together.

TIA

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads